Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1971 XKE Series 3, 6 Cyl

Posted by helen morin 
1971 XKE Series 3, 6 Cyl
March 01, 2004 08:31PM
I've come across someone selling the subject vehicle, my research shows that this was one of very few 6 cyl manufactured in the new 12 cyl frame; is this correct? Any idea where I can research history and value?
Re: 1971 XKE Series 3, 6 Cyl
March 01, 2004 10:41PM

Helen:

All Series III cars which (were introduced in 1971) have the 12 cylinder engine. The car you are talking about is among the last of the Series II cars of which a limited number were sold in 1971.

The value is difficult to determine without more information. Is it an OTS or a FHC? What is the condition? How many miles? How original is it? And so on. Prices can range from $15,000 for a driver in so-so condition to the $60,000 to $70,000+ neighborhood for a professionally restored one.

Regards,

Jeff MacGregor
March 02, 2004 09:10PM
Thanks for the information. I found a site that confirms the 1971 Series II was manufactured in limited supply alongside the Series III, and that the Series II in this model year should have a chassis number prefix of 2R, which this one does. Any suggestions as to how I can find out how rare this model might be, eg. how many were manufactured, and if this one is authentic?
March 12, 2004 05:14PM

Helen:

There are a number of books out there on E TYpes which have the production runs. You should be able to determine how many of these Series II's were manufactured from these sources.

As to the car's originality the first thing I woud check is that the vehicle identification number, the engine number and the gearbox number all match. Check the ID plate on the car which has this information and make sure the actual numbers on the gearbox and engine match those on the ID plate.

Good Luck!

Jeff MacGregor
1971 Series III 2+2
March 19, 2004 07:08PM
I have seen a factory built Series 3 with a 6 cyl motor in London, supposibly one of six prototypes built before Jaguar decided not build it.
March 20, 2004 10:20PM
Helen,

Try going to www.xkedata.com type in the chassis number and see if its there. If it is then these should be some info about it. If its not there and you know the vin then enter the data if you wouldn't mind.

Dave
'61 ots
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login