Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

timing chain replacement

Posted by Helge Rorvik 
timing chain replacement
April 15, 2005 05:05PM
Hi all,
I think I need to raplace the lower timing chain as I hear a slapping noise as the engine warms up. The car has done approx 250000 km and I do not know if the chains has ever been replaced. What should I look out for, and what is the easiest way to do it?

Helge Rorvik
Norway
1E-34450
Re: timing chain replacement
April 23, 2005 08:04PM
Hate to be the one to tell you, But you'll probably end up having to pull the head off. Drop the sump and back out the studs that go up into the head and down from the head into the timing chain cover. You CAN pull the timing chain cover with the head on. It's the bolts hold the timing setup to the head that are going to be nasty to get to. Check your tensioner, maybe it just crapped out on you. THe bentley book has a good discussion of how to inspect your chains and sprockets. I'd start by pulling the timing cover and inspecting it closely before tearing off the head. can you say big $$$$ ;-)
Re: timing chain replacement
August 21, 2005 09:30PM
Hi
I have a 63 3.8 coup
I, try retensioning the the top cam chain first .if the noise persists then
move to the lower chain ,you have to ascertain why the chain is loose , is it because the chain is phyically worn ,or is the hydraulic tensioner not working as it should ie blocked filter inside the tensioner have the chain guide shoes come loose .This is just a brief outline may be it will save some unnessary work.

regards Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login