Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Jaguar E-type Oil Leaks

Posted by JULIE SCHNEIDER 
Jaguar E-type Oil Leaks
March 29, 2006 08:33PM
Considering purchase of 1967 E-type Roadster, some oil accumulation is visibile at back of engine. Is this common in this type of vehicle and if so, what might be the cure?
Re: Jaguar E-type Oil Leaks
April 16, 2006 01:03AM
I think E-types and oil leaks go together like a horse and carriage. But, having said that,I would not therefore give up on such a wonderful motor car. Your problem could very well be a rear seal leak. I had such a leak and was told by a Jag repairman that his shop could replace the seal but would NOT guarantee that it would not leak. Solution...oil is still rather cheap. Cheers, John
June 05, 2006 03:09AM
i agree, all the vintage jags ive owned and most ive seen leak some oil. if its not severe id leave it and enjoy the car.
September 17, 2006 07:11PM
The oil at the rear of the engine may not have come from the seal but from the two cam oil feeds, this is a popular place for leaks.
In any case an oil leak is no real reason not purchase the car, rust is though!!

Dave
December 24, 2007 08:43PM
I have had an E type jaguar coupe and roadster since 1963, an xk 120 and a 3.4 sedan and must tell you that they all leaked oil at the rear of the crank shaft.

The only cure that I know of is to take the engine to Bill Terry in Benton Illinois and have him rebuild the engine and install his modern rear main seal.
He turns the thread off the crank and has a modified seal housing that accomodates a modern teflon/gator spring rear main seal.

Also add intake valve seals and switch to Hastings rings.

My 1962 E type roadster does not leak or burn any oil so it is practical to run the costly high performance low friction oils such as royal purple.

3.8 OTS #877836
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login