Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Overdrive Automatic Transmission Upgrade for 70 GTO

Posted by Brian Beresford 
Overdrive Automatic Transmission Upgrade for 70 GTO
May 09, 2006 03:34AM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to start out by saying thank you everyone that responds and helps all of us that have been either out of the hobby for awhile or new to it! Because of ya'll this is one of the best classic GTO forum websites that I have ever visited and I'm sure everyone will agree that with the technology of the internet it's soooooo much easier now a days to restore and enjoy our GTO's.

As a young man in the 80's I owned three GTO's (66 Coupe, 66 Convertible and 70 Coupe) and my last car was a 70 Trans Am. I have recently decided to relive my youth so just recently I picked up my first Pontiac GTO since my younger days during the 80's. I got lucky and found it on Ebay, it's a nice almost rust free 1970 GTO without it's engine or transmission. It had been sitting in storage in Oklahoma since the early 90's. The gentleman bought it to restore and just never got around to it, but at least he kept it inside his shop. So I'm now the proud owner of it and I'm currently in the middle of a frame off restoration with it. I am deciding the configuration of the drivetrain and I want to install a overdrive automatic instead of the turbo 400. As far as the engine, believe it or not I have kept my 1970 Ram Air III 400 cid four bolt main engine from my 70 GTO way back in the 80's so I want to install it with an overdrive automatic transmission.

My question is what overdrive auto tranny would ya'll recommend to use? I would like it to be reliable and strong enough to hold up to my Ram Air III which I'm going to hop it up a bit for more performance.

Thanks up front for everyone's comments and suggestions.
Brian
Re: Overdrive Automatic Transmission Upgrade for 70 GTO
October 01, 2006 05:48AM
Pick up a 200-4R from any of the following
84/7 Monte Carlo 4CQ, 5CQ, 6CZ, 7CZ, 8CZ
83/7 Buick Regal/T-Type/Grand National 3BR, 4BQ, 5BQ, 6BR, 7BR
83/7 Oldsmobile (with 307) 3OZ, 4OZ, 5OZ, 6KZ, 7KZ
89 Pontiac T/A with V6 9TA (the V8 cars have the 700R4 which can be used if you fork out a few more dollars for the adapter plate)

These numbers may or may not have an F at the end, but all can withstand some major abuse if built up.

Wayne S

Loooonnnnnnnnnggggg term project
1966 LeMans convertible
389/200-4R

Just cause it looks wrong doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login