Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

running hot

Posted by 1966gto 
running hot
April 23, 2008 01:00PM
I have a 1966 gto with a 389 and a 4 barrel that always runs hot in traffic. (220+ degrees) I have replaced radiator, thermostat, checked water pump...I'm beginning to think this is normal? Any other ideas? (thinking of an additional electric fan
Re: running hot
April 27, 2008 06:04PM
I would talk to some performance shops about maybe trying a bigger radiator. Of course, an additional electric fan may be the cheaper way to go depending on how much the car is worth to you.
April 27, 2008 06:06PM
P.S. May try a new heat sending unit.
May 09, 2008 04:20PM
I've got the same problem with my '67 (400 cid, 4bbl). Thing is, as this was my mom's car originally I know that this wasn't always a problem. I had a clutch fan put in but that didn't seem to help. One thing I did do was put in headers... I think in my case these are the real problem. They release so much heat! I've got the original exhaust manifolds and will have them bead blasted and ceramic coated.

In the meantime I'll see if there are any issues with the rad.
March 25, 2012 06:00PM
Guy's guy's!!!!! Let's not forget the ethanol they're putting in the fuel now shall we? My 64 gto was doing the same thing. Ethanol makes it burn leaner. Reject your carb or carbs and you should be ok.
March 25, 2012 06:31PM
That's rejet not reject. Sorry guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login