Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SIMPLE REPAIR FOR INTERIOR CHROME TRIM

Posted by BJS382 
SIMPLE REPAIR FOR INTERIOR CHROME TRIM
August 27, 2012 03:28PM
I picked up a TIP from watching a Classic Car Show on TV... A simple way to update & repair the PLASTIC CHROME TRIM that is usually worn away from chrome trim, was noted. A very simple coating was applied to the worn away chrome/silver trim by using a "SILVER LEAFING PEN" that can be purchased FROM ANY CRAFT'S STORE. These Coating pens are very similar to a MAGIC MARKER...it is a long slender pen, with a felt tip...they come in either GOLD or SILVER plating liguid. You simply take the cap off...push up & down on the felt tip and it loads the LEAFING liguid to the felt tip...then slide the felt tip along the worn trim....it is extremely easy to use and makes the plastic chrome {or gold} trim look like new. You may want to practice on some plastic edging....but it is very easy to use with just a little patience, you will get great results. The Plating pens cost approx $ 9.00. {AND THE STORE GAVE ME A COUPON FOR 40% OFF...MICHAEL'S CRAFT STORE} and you can easily do an entire dash board trim in no time. Leaves no brush marks...looks original. The Plating Pens are manufactured by KRYON...called "SILVER LEAFING PEN"...Short of buying new parts, which is seldom an option for classic cars, this is about as good as it gets. I have two 1973 GTO's, I did all my A/C vents, Glove box and center Console and they all look fantastic. Give it a try!
Re: SIMPLE REPAIR FOR INTERIOR CHROME TRIM
August 27, 2012 07:28PM
Does it work on Corvettes also?

Just kidding. I'll have to give it a try, sounds like a good idea, thanks for posting!

~paul
WebCars! Webmaster
Re: SIMPLE REPAIR FOR INTERIOR CHROME TRIM
August 27, 2012 11:33PM
Thanks...I just applied it to the thin, but worn, silver trim that goes around the edges of both of my rear tail lights....it looks like new. I'm really impressed with what this tip does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login