Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Highway paint

Posted by turbomangt 
Highway paint
September 22, 2003 11:44AM
<HTML>Recently I got in a car that had some "yellow" highway paint that they paint the center lines with. The strongest chemical I use is solvent (which didn't even effect this stuff) I try to stay away from acid cleaners for many reasons, is their something inbetween the two that would get this mess off the car? Thanks gary</HTML>
Re: Highway paint
September 22, 2003 05:51PM
<HTML>Ive had good luck with valugard's new car prep. Or Pro sol, from pro.</HTML>
September 22, 2003 05:52PM
<HTML>clay will work too.</HTML>
September 23, 2003 12:13AM
<HTML>Gary , ever tried "Acrysol" by Kent Automotive ?

Bumpers Plus , Whats your opinion on these Valuegard products, tried any others ? I see them recommended quite often in OEM service bulletins . Have you tried any of their other products ?

Jim.</HTML>
September 23, 2003 10:31PM
<HTML>Lacquer Thinner on a rag works great. I have done it with success.

Just ne sure to wash it really well when your done.

Best regards,
John</HTML>
September 24, 2003 12:06AM
<HTML>I have used their new car prep, great product, HORRIBLE smell! lol. Omni all purpose cleaner is great on bugs, interior cleaner, clear coat polish I like alot too, no oils, body shop safe. Their finishing wax , I still havnt made a yay or nay on yet. I have a rep about 2 hours away, who is a mobile detailer, that is a great help. I especially like how cost effective their products are.</HTML>
September 24, 2003 12:08AM
<HTML>Only use laquer thinner as a last resort, it will affect the dexterity of the clear. Also, try plastic razor blades.</HTML>
September 24, 2003 04:36AM
<HTML>I've gotten the stuff off using clay and a cream excess remover that I use with my Cyclo. The excess remover is used for removing touch up paint after doing a chip or scratch repair, but it's good for taking off scuffs, tar, and a bunch of other unknown smudges and crud. It's called Remove-A-Bull cream.</HTML>
September 24, 2003 03:37PM
<HTML>Depending on the thickness of the paint, the safest way to remove the paint is CLAY. You can also use with the clay plastic razors or better yet a scraper. We have one that is 2.5" long by 1.5" wide, alittle easier to use than the small razor blade.

Certain thinners and solvents work but unless you are certain they will damage the clear you could have an accident. Most road paint today is water based, as it is the least expensive.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 25, 2003 04:43AM
<HTML>When I was a claims adjuster, I handled dozens of claims for road paint on cars. If you catch it right away and can get to a good car wash within a couple hours, it will come right off. However, most people don't notice it for several days, weeks, etc. By that time, the paint is as hard as cement and has bonded itself to the c/c. By this point, the panel has to be sanded and repainted. While the paint may be water based, there's still plenty of other chemicals in it to make it stick to the pavement. It may be cheap, but it's very heavy and thick. Think about what it has to endure day after day, year after year. It's very durable stuff!!!</HTML>
September 25, 2003 10:36AM
<HTML>we have found that finger nail polish remover works well !!!!!!!</HTML>
September 25, 2003 02:44PM
<HTML>Be very careful using nail polish remover as it is a "paint thinner" and could remove the clear. What you need to find out is what type of thinner is used in nail polish remover.

For example, I used some of Mottenbacher's (makers of Lift-Off) paint remover and it took the clear off of a car.

My advise is to always know why a chemical product does what it does, not simply that it "works."

For example, "why can you take sign paint off of an automobile using Easy-Off Oven Cleaner? It works, but all that I asked who use it, even body shops, could not tell me. Scary.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login