Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Random Orbital Speeds

Posted by Joseph Mehal 
Random Orbital Speeds
December 19, 2001 08:05PM
I own a Porter Cable Random orbital with the adjustable RPMs, but did not buy it through Mequiars or Griots, so I do not know what the recommended speeds are for Polishing and Waxing.

Can someone in the know provide some guidance?

Thanks

Joe M.

Joe
Re: Random Orbital Speeds
December 19, 2001 10:32PM
the classic motoring accessories website has a whole section on reccomended speed. i have used mine on cars that don't need a lot of work. i use mostly the lower half of the dial. dont misunderstand me, i have a highspeed rotary for the bad ones and use the porter-cable for application only. this is the role i have always used for the orbital. and yes, you could say i am stubborn. i just refuse to use it as a "workhorse". it is an exxcellent machine, regardless.
I use mine at 3500rpms for polish application and have recently started using it at about 2500 rpms for wax application. I like the higher speed for polish to work it in better and make removal easier. I don't use mine for removal either.
Dan
Re: Random Orbital Speeds
December 20, 2001 04:24AM
For 15 bucks I got this little 4000rpm orbital made by the Chinese at Harbor Freight today. I was quite pleased by it, hell, it was only 15 bucks and it works great. IT looks almost like a orbital sander but a little bigger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login