Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vinyl Roofs

Posted by Brigitte 
Vinyl Roofs
September 24, 2003 02:44PM
<HTML>
Need Help!!!
The roof of my '86 Caddy is starting to have small tears, also seems to retain some water after a rain. Does anyone know of anything on the market that might seal it?</HTML>
Dan
Re: Vinyl Roofs
September 24, 2003 07:25PM
<HTML>This advice probably wont help you this instant, but when you replace your top just keep it absolutely clean. Every week you should rinse it and agitate it with a light cleaner and soft brush to loosen dirt, dirt keeps moisture on the top, sometimes causing mold and other annoying stuff, also keep it conditioned regularly, this will create a tiny barrier so no contaminants can stick.

If your not replacing the top, get some all purpose cleaner and a brush and clean it really good, then coat up with dressing as needed to bring life back to it. Good luck!</HTML>
September 25, 2003 04:09PM
<HTML>Thanks Dan, but I was hoping not to have to replace it as it is such an old car. However if you can tell me what kind of "Dressing" you're referring to you might have what I'm looking for.
Thanks again for your response...........Brigitte</HTML>
Dan
September 25, 2003 11:51PM
<HTML>Meguairs #40? I believe it is, its a vinyl and rubber conditioner. You can use any water based dressing on it you like, but this is my favorite.</HTML>
September 26, 2003 01:08AM
<HTML>Brigitte,

I recently did an older Lincoln with this same problem. Like Dan said, use all purpose cleaner and brush to clean. There is no way to seal those cracks on you top that I know of, but, you can get it looking pretty decent again. I used a silicone based dressing on mine. I sprayed it on, and let it "dry" or "set" for about an hour, then put another layer on. I did this about four times. The top looked better than new until it rained. Nothing forever I guess. I also posed the same question on this forum back when I was doing the car and didn't get many responses at all. I think there aren't many ways to help it.

Good Luck,

jer</HTML>
September 26, 2003 03:52AM
<HTML>Bridgette:

You might try to purchase some SEM vinyl top paint/dye. It would probably cover and seal to some degree the vinyl top. If you cannot find SEM in your area go on line and type in the name SEM PRODUCTS they are in North Carolina and the leader in coatings for leather; vinyl; plastic; etc.

They have some amazing reconditioning products.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login