Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New guy needs advice

Posted by Marc Viola 
New guy needs advice
January 18, 2002 03:26AM
Hello: I just discovered this site and think you guys are really doing us novices a service. Now if I can ask a few questions. I just purchased a 92 GMC SUV with single stage paint. It is black and badly faded. Where do I start to revitalize the finish? Wet sand? Heavy compound? Can I get this done without a rotary buffer? The prior owner was a heavy smoker, the interior reeks. Is there a cleaning agent that can eliminate the smell?
Sorry about all the questions, but I want to shape this vehicle up and have time since I just retired.
Thanks, Shadow
Re: New guy needs advice
January 18, 2002 05:31AM
well lets take one questoin at a time......trying to bring back any paint job from the dead is impossible to be done by hand, you would need to use that famous high speed buffer to remove that dead paint (fade). for sure you would need to use compound with a high speed buffer and work your way down. after using a compound then theres also polish and ofcourse paint sealant which works better then any wax, infact i dont even use wax, i find that waxing is something you would probably use if your in a hurry. remember also you need a variety of buffing pads. as for the heavy smoke scent and odors, ofcourse im assumming you detailed the interior and steamed cleaned the seats and carpets and still there was that smoke smell, well you would need to use another method that removes odors i think it called ozone, it removes odors and bacteria, its a air purification system. using a spray would just hide it temporary.
Re: New guy needs advice
January 18, 2002 06:49PM
Tuff Stuff foam works very well on interiors and does a good job of removing the smell of old cigarettes. I detailed my grandfather's car (he was a heavy smoker) and my dad (who HATES smoke) could no longer smell it in the car.

All I did was spray the foam on one section of the interior at a time, and rubbed it off with a large clean towel. The "trick" to getting the cigarette smell out is to clean EVERY surface (including the headliner).

If you have access to an extractor (or a good wet/dry vac) soak the interior with the foam (not the head liner though, just use a little bit of foam on it and lightly rub) and rub it in. Then let it soak for a little while (time depends on how bad the interior is). Then take a regular spray bottle filled with water, spray a small section of the interior, and immediately use the vac to suck up the water...repeat untill the water runs clear. Do this a section at a time until you get to the whole interior. Yes it is time consuming, but the results are worth it.

Too, by only rinsing a section at a time, you are limiting: 1) the amount of water brought into the car and 2) how deeply into the fabric/cushioning the water can soak in, limiting the risks of mildew. ( a VERY SMALL amount of bleach in the rinse water can also help eliminate the chance of mildew & aid in cleaning.

To dry the car (in warm weather) park it in the sun with all the windows open about 1/2 inch. This will first of all, use the sun to heat the interior speeding the drying process, and the slightly open windows will hold most of the heat in, and let the humid air out.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login