Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

windshield repair kits

Posted by Willy Bermell 
windshield repair kits
January 20, 2002 11:59PM
I´ve read somwhere about those kits to repair chips and light scratches, but before posting this topic I´ve looked for it but couldn´t find it... I was wanting to know a few things such as
- Does it work?
- What is the time investment per vehicle?
- Would you recommend using it instead of changing windshield?
- What can the average cost-per-repair be approx.?
- Can you direct me to a web page that I can get it from?

Thanks

Willy

Live a beautiful life, ride a beautiful car...
Re: windshield repair kits
January 21, 2002 01:38AM
Many windshield repair shops offer the fix you are talking about. I have no personal experience with it, but I have HEARD that in most cases, the repair is invisible, or at worst, has a SLIGHT distortion. Look out the far edge of your windshield while sitting in the driver's seat, the distortion (IF it's there at all) is nowhere near that severe.

I would suggest you have it professionally done, many insurance companies will waive your deductable if this service is performed as opposed to having the whole windshield replaced.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 21, 2002 03:54AM
I've had several repairs done using this method. It works best on chips and bulls eyes. Improvement is probabyl at 75-85%. Not invisible, but a hell of a lot better.

Make sure the technician is not 'learning' on your ride!

Allan
You can get the info you need at www.topoftheline.com. They have a section on windshield repair and three different kits you can purchase. Hope this helps.
January 21, 2002 05:24PM
i had one fixed a couple of years ago. the way the guy explained is that they create some type of vacuum in the chip, then fill it with a resin. i had about an 80% improvement, but it was still noticeable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login