Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Car Concern

Posted by Steve Solomon 
New Car Concern
January 27, 2002 10:15PM
I plan to instruct the dealer NOT to detail my black Volvo s-60 when I take delivery in about 4 weeks.
But I'm not sure of the first step (after the wash). Should I be using a cleaner initially, or go right to a waxing or perhaps a cleaner/wax product?
I understand the manufacturers apply a product that protects the car while standing that may require a cleaner before the waxing.
Re: New Car Concern
January 27, 2002 11:03PM
I always use a paint cleaner or cleaner wax before polishing and waxing. Personally, I feel that the prep work is the most important step in a good shine. Most of today's waxes have their own paint cleaner or a cleaner wax to use first and would recomend using them.
January 29, 2002 12:41PM
I've always had good luck using Meguiars #7 (Show Car Glaze) or on stubborn cars, the Cleaner wax, followed by the Show Car Glaze.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 29, 2002 10:37PM
they may apply a paint sealant for protection from "lot rot"(acid rain,bird crap etc.)the paint on these cars is usually excellent and easy to work with. don's steps sound good to me. you may wan't to visit the dealer prep department and talk to some of the guys there to get an idea of whether they really know what they are doing and are competent.some are really good and can do a much better job due to familiarity with the cars. some are "new hires" or "slackers".i f your car is ordered, it will be delivered to the dealer(enclosed trailer) with a plastic film on the hood, roof,trunk and doors. it will also have foam on the doors and interior door sill and the interior will be covered in cardboard and plastic. all of this tends to leave a slight adhesive residue when removed. volvo is very picky about how its cars are delivered and they strive for 100% satisfaction. i can also tell you first hand that volvo customers are usually a different breed and are very particular(i know, another generalization!!) and yes, i would by a turbo station wagon with leather interor!
January 29, 2002 11:58PM
Isnt the stuff they use on new cars when in the lot just a pure Polymer sealant?

Red is the best!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login