Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Please! lets put this to rest.

Posted by turboman 
Please! lets put this to rest.
January 31, 2002 12:31PM
It seems according to the last few posts on sealant and wax that some people are confused (myself being one of them). Can someone with experience with this please post. I think here is where the dummy's like myself are confused. If you seal first, what effect if any would the wax have on top? If makes less sense to seal after, because it won't stick on top of the sealant anyway. The only reason I can think of to use a sealant would be to save time, (one step application) The majority of people here have said that wax gives a better shine and protection, so why seal? now next question, once you seal the finish, aren't you locked in to continuing that process for ???????? I would think once the seal is on, NOTHING ELSE can be put on top anymore unless you remove it or continue using it. Please help clarify this....thanks tm

Re: Please! lets put this to rest.
January 31, 2002 05:26PM
sealant generally lasts much longer than wax.it is also much harder after it cures. it usually gives a bright shine, but lacks in the area of true deep/wet shine. wax tends to give a deeper,glossier look. they both shine great and it is a matter of personal preference as to which to use. i use both on and off. i will use only sealant here in the deep summer because it doesn't melt and offers better protection from acid rain. in the winter i will use the sealant, but usually put non-abrasive/non-cleaning wax on top. i honestly like both and would make a determination on what to use as to what i had available and the type of car or enviroment the car would be in. garaged/weekend cars or hot rods i would use show car glaze or wax. a daily driver that is only washed every once in a while-a sealant. this thread will probably go on forever becasue this is one of the areas where people are most opinionated!! sealant can be removed with any good pre-cleaner or swirl remover. never had a problem with the wax "bonding".
Dan
January 31, 2002 06:11PM
The only reason to apply wax over a sealant is to add gloss. Its all a matter of preferance, I prefer a great shine that the sealants have with the longevity of the product, my customers take notice as well. In my opinion, wax provides minimal protection as far as longevity is concerned and the gloss is only slightly better than a sealant. For me, taking the good and the bad of both types of product, theres more good in a sealant than a wax. I hope that helped, basically it comes to what my customer will think. Right now they are happy after 3-4 months ater a detail and their car still shines because of the sealant.
January 31, 2002 08:52PM
OK, as quoted from the book "Automotic Detailing" by Don Taylor (HP Books)

"SEALANTS: The term "sealant" seems to have different meanings for different groups. Detail people expect their sealant products to have extra durability, forming a protective film over the paint. Whereas body shops and automobile painters call a product a sealant if 1) they cannot repaint the area after using the product or 2) it will impair the solvent evaporation from a newly painted surface. Lastly, paint manufacturesrs call a product a sealant if the product will stop "bleed through" of undesirable properties from lower layers of paint or substrate to the newly painted surface, such as a primer.

This has created a lot of confusion over the past years. The consumer has to recognize the point of view of the person to whom they are talking to understand which type of sealant is being referred to. For a detailer, a sealant product should be one that forms some sort of cross linking film over the surface of the paint, forming a durable barrier on the surface. Suach as a polymer like amino functional silicones. Just beware of the other terminologies that easily confuse the discussion."

Clear as mud now, right? I thought that would help tongue sticking out smiley

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
January 31, 2002 11:23PM
Ok guys here we go It seems that opons are gonna very no matter what everybodys eyes are different and they see different things so i called the chemist who makes the products i buy and heres what he said. Question? Better to put wax then sealant or vice versa. Chemists answer to put a wax first would be a waste of time because he stated that #1 its shouldnt be neccesary and #2 the sealant would have to work through the wax. When you apply a sealant first #1 he said if you dont mind working alittle harder for best result let cure for 8 hours and then take off and 2 he said that it would be good to apply a coat of wax but only after 48 hours so that the sealant has time to totally cur other wise the wax will seal the sealant causing it not to be able to cure properally. Anyone else more confused? Hope this helps guys let meknow
Dan
February 01, 2002 12:32AM
Your product sounds like Zaino, great stuff, after a few applications, nothing will stick to it. To much curing time though for me, could you imagine if I told my customer "I will be back tommorow to wipe off the residue"!lol! Their are many sealants out there that dont require that kind of curing time. If you dont want the shine to come from the sealant, work in a good polish beforeyou apply the sealant. With Klasse all in one, working in a polish before hand would be a compete waste of time, unless the finish was neglected, this is a great one step sealant that is very user friendly. I hope its a little clearer!lol Good luck
February 01, 2002 12:42AM
you still need time for the polymers to crosslink. some sealants even read "allow to dry for 2 4 hours. and the shine does get brighter as it cures.
February 01, 2002 01:27AM
I talked to the Finish First Rep a while back. He said if overnight is not feasable, a one hour cure time is acceptable and will still produce excellent results.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sealants...
February 01, 2002 03:54AM
You ask twelve different people & you most likely will get twelve different answers. Don M. has given the best reasoning regarding sealants. Most detailers will use a sealant on a vehicle that will be neglected & probably will not be a returning customer or maybe the owner of the vehicle is selling their car & wants a quick shine & just see if off to another buyer.

Sealants are very nice for the use on a vehicle if it is going to be neglected due to it's long durability. Sealants do not produce as much gloss as a wax does but they are easy to apply & remove if done by the instructions. Sealants do take some time to dry but if done right, the remaining residue will come right off.

For people that want a really glossy finish & will be maintaining their vehicles, Polishing & Waxing is the nice way to go.

It all depends on the objective of the customer & that is what is main purpose for having the vehicle cleaned & detailed?

All customers must be told before hand the main difference between a sealant & a polish & waxed finish. Let them decide on what they want & what type of price that want to spend on a certain type of look for their vehicle. Having the customer know before hand will ease the pain later if they decide in keeping the vehicle rather than always maintaining it the right way. Hope this helps a little. Just another opinion.
Re: Sealants...
February 01, 2002 12:37PM
ok Guys, I can see the different opinions everyone has, but the bottom line is that it is something I will have to try for myself. I like the line Dan used, "I'll be back" tomorrow to finish your car. DON'T DRIVE IT EITHER! Now I hate to ask one more question, but I promise if you guys respond to one more I won't write anymore poetry about my love affiar with cars. deal? Can you buff a sealant with a rotary as you would a polish? or would you want to? do most wax/polish companys sell them as well? you guys r da best!!!! tm

Re: Sealants...
February 01, 2002 12:53PM
See my post above^^^ Finish First is able to be removed after an hour with no adverse affects on it's performance.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login