Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New to the game

Posted by Kelsy 
New to the game
September 26, 2003 08:44AM
<HTML>Hey Everyone,

I've got a 97 Puegot, 306. It's red in fairly good condition. I started detailing or trying to learn on this car about two months ago. It's looking a lot better. However, (here comes the but) the paint has some fairly deep nicks. I use a 100 bar home pressure washer to clean the wheel wells and a product called Super Clean. It worked so well, I tried it on the piece under the bumper to get the summer bug goo off and it started taking the paint off. I understand it's like a plastic scoop if you will, so I haven't used it again. But the car has seen some road miles in it's day and it'll need a little more TLC and technique than I can figure out to make it look new again.

I work at a desk all day and I can't believe you guys make good money at this. It's such an enjoyable past time, I'm thinking of starting my own little home detailing business.

Also, is it true that if you use a heat gun (not a hair dryer) on plastic molding it'll bring it back to like new? And if ya do, what's the danger? One thing I already know about detailing nothing replaces hard work and know how. Those one step waxes blow.

McGuires on the other hand smells great and buffs up easily, but is there better out there -- with more Carnuba for a tougher longer lasting shine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelsy</HTML>

New weekend detailer
Re: New to the game
September 26, 2003 12:04PM
<HTML>Hi Kelsy,
I started about 2 months ago with NO detailing experience. I do however own several other traditional businesses and am a certified empowerment coach and consultant. I started doing this to see if I could do it as a challenge and now I love it. It is weird! lol
In business they say the devil is in the details but in detailing it is in the end result and the relationship with the customer.
If you want to know what I have done I will be happy to tell you.
This forum is for the most part excellent and you will get a quick education which you need. Some on here try to push their products which are excellent and I will probably use them as my volume builds. Several people on here have been exceptional with their time in helping me.
I have been told I am a creative genius. I am not sure about that but I do know I am very good with people and advertising and building businesses so if I can help ...... holler!
It is excellent money and it is hard work but to me there is not a better feeling at the end of the day than to sleep deep from a hard and smart days work!

Jay Johnson
The Buffer Zone</HTML>
Re: New to the game
September 27, 2003 03:12AM
<HTML>Kelsy-I like hearing about guys like you and seeing how your ambition grows once you get the bug. I was an insurance adjuster for over 20 years. After my 3rd layoff and doing stuff I didn't really like, I went into the mobile paint repair & touch up biz. As part of that biz, I, of course, have to use a buffer. I also use a Cyclo as part of a paint perfecting and restoration system that I love to use as I blow every customer away with the results.

Anyhow, customers were so impressed with my paint & buffing work, they asked me if I could do the same thing to the rest of the car. Well, after walking away from enough money because I had to say "no", I did some research, talked to some folks and started doing complete detailing along with my paint biz. They compliment each other perfectly. Plus, I've always detailed my own vehicles with retail products, so it wasn't that difficult of a leap for me. As a result of several jobs and contacts, I'll be opening my own small shop in November located inside a service facility for Benz, BMW, Audi, VW and possibly Ferrari. So, I'll have a way in to the high end market where the money is and I'll have a captive market to sell to. I'm hoping it takes off quickly so that I can build the shop up and hire 1 or 2 dependable guys (I've already got some guys in mind) so that when the weather breaks next year, I can concentrate on building the mobile side of the biz.

As for your question about the heat gun...make sure you get a commercial gun with an adjustable (lo-hi) setting. You have to be very, very careful because a heat gun will melt your bumper in less than a minute if you hold it in one place for too long. The trick is to make sure you have a tool that you can reach the back side of the bumper with so you can push the bumper back out once it gets warm. DO NOT use your hands. You'll burn them as the plastic has to be quite warm to be flexible. Start with the gun on low setting and hold it 6-10" from the bumper. Keep it moving back & forth over the damaged area. After a couple minutes, it should start to soften up to the point that you can start pushing gently from the back side. Start from the outer edges around the deepest part of the dent and work toward the center and then out toward the farthest edges. Don't keep the gun on the panel when you're pushing. Set it down because if you're pushing with one hand and heating with the other, you could slip and if the gun touches the panel, it'll melt the part it touches instantly.

Keep in mind the panel may not return to absolute perfect form, but it should be in the 80-90% range. Just use caution and work slowly. Better to be tentattive than too anxious. If you go to the high temp setting, be very careful or you could end up with a puddle of melted plastic on the ground. Also, be careful not to get the bumper too hot because if it starts to lump up and pucker, you won't be able to get that stuff out.

Good luck!!! Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Rod</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login