Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dealers

Posted by Jim Hammill 
Dealers
October 02, 2003 01:32AM
<HTML>Ok, just got done reading my Sunday paper ( kinda backed up around here ) and just thought I'd share these job adverts that I saw, I think it goes a long way to telling you just how some dealers view the industry..

Advert 1. Wanted, car detailer wanted for busy used vehicle lot, will be required to clean lot, building, cut grass, shop maintenance and detail vehicles .

Advert 2 . Responsible person needed to maintain busy lot and building. Will be responsible for keeping lot clean , assisting owner with arranging and maintaining lot, building cleaning , shuttle driving and detailing vehicles, no experience required.

There was one more but pretty much the same as the other two, just wondered what kind or person they are going to get when they place more priority on cutting the grass than detailing vehicles.. all these jobs were listed under "auto detailing" in the "help wanted" sections.

I no longer wonder why all us dealers have such a bad reputation for detailing cars.

Jim.</HTML>
Re: Dealers
October 02, 2003 05:04AM
<HTML>Why, they'll get the guys that do "detailing" down at the local car wash, of course!!! Or high school dropouts. Or guys that are tired of cutting lawns all day for a living. You know, just the kind of guys you want ratching away on a 911 or a Benz with a high speed DeWalt and some Meguiar's #86, Diamond Cut Heavy Cut Compound, lol!!! Glad I'm not their insurance company!!!

Speaking of car wash detail shops, here's some sample package prices from a local one here in Michigan:

$12.50 Silver Pacakage...Full service wash, blue Coral Poly Sealant, underbody flush.

$15.50 Gold Package...Wash, Blue coral polish wax plus sealant, u.b. flush, wheel cleaner, ozium air freshener

$18.50 Platinum Package...Wash, B.C. triple clear coating & sealant, u.b. flush, wheels cleaned, air fresh., online tire shine.

$23.50 Double Diamond Pkg....wash, express Rain-X, express wax, air frshnr, tire shine, deluxe wheel clnr.

$39.99 Deluxe Interior Pkg....Wash, steam cln & dress dash, door panels, console, remove dust & dirt, shampoo mats, clean windows, tire shine.

Then all this stuff is available a la carte from $1 for air frshnr to $24.95 for B.C. hand wax.

And that's just one of the competitors in this area!!! These are the places that hire the people they're looking for in those ads.

Rod</HTML>
October 05, 2003 02:51AM
<HTML>Rod,

Where in Michigan are you from? I'm in Charlotte, which is about 20 miles southwest of Lansing.

jer</HTML>
October 06, 2003 05:54AM
<HTML>Hey Jerry...good to meet ya'. I'm in Novi, about 80 miles southeast of you which is about 1.5 hours away according to mapquest. Heck, we're practically neighbors, lol!!

Rod</HTML>
October 07, 2003 06:33AM
<HTML>The services and prices you quote are for carwash services for the most part, they are not detail services.

Most carwashes do offer a maintenance wax and/or a maintenance carpet shampoo for cars in good condition that do not need restoration.

Do not mix apples and oranges. It does not take much skill or talent to shampoo a relatively clean carpet and/or put wax on and take it off.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 08, 2003 03:13AM
<HTML>What you say is true, bud. But, the menu card that I got those prices from has in big, bold letters at the top "DETAIL SHOP PACKAGE DEALS!" Then on the reverse side at the top: "ALA CARTE SRVICES".

The point I should clarify is that there are a lot of car washes and small time operators passing off their services as "detailing" when in essence, they're actually doing the same or even a lesser quality job than the do-it-yourselfer can do in his driveway on a Saturday morning using Turtle Wax and Armor all that he picked up at the local Wal-Mart.

It just makes it that much more difficult to get the general public to realize the value of professional detailing services performed by trained, skilled professionals who really understand and analyze the different services required to restore/maintain the vehicle as well as taking into account the owner's habits and what the vehicle is used for.

As professionals, we must take time with each customer and review the vehicle with them and educate them as to what they need to keep their vehicle looking good and what's expected of them to help keep it that way in between professional services.

I'm not complaining, just trying to point out that we have to go the extra mile to educate our clients and set ourselves apart from these "one size fits all" operations.

Rod</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login