Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wool pads

Posted by Jim Hammill 
Wool pads
October 08, 2003 02:03AM
<HTML>Having had a very quiet day in the detail department today, I got to clearing out some of the old polishes/waxes/compounds etc (and pitching most of them),and I found , stashed away at the back, some wool pads still in the wrapper. I have to be honest, it's probably been a year since I used a wool pad, having become converted to the foam pads. Out of intrest I decided to give it a shot having read a few articles about wool pads here and speaking to a guy who owns a body shop here and uses nothing but wool pads. I also wanted to test myself a little bit here too, thought that using a wool pad on black 2003 Ford Explorer would be as good a test as any . We had one on the lot that came from auction, and looked as if it had been buffed with a wirewool pad and concrete dust . Figured if your going to test yourself, go in deep!

So I pulled this Explorer in to the detail bay and decided to give it a shot, buff the entire thing with wool. Now in the past I have used some very heavy compunds to remove heavy scratches etc, so having read some advice here about "use a more aggresive pad and not a more aggresive compound " I decided to use up some old chemicals that were in the bay, buffed one panel and sent them to the trash can too, I eventually ended up using Liquid Micro from Malco with the wool pad set at 1000 rpm.

I have to say , I surprised the hell out of myself with the wool pad. Not only did it seem quicker than using the foam, but once I had gotten most of the wool out of my mouth and off the windshield, it seemd to be cleaner too. I took the vehicle outside to take a look at it and was very shocked to see almost no swirl marks. I expected it to be swirl mark central on that thing, but other than a few on the corners of the hood, none to be seen.

So back inside for another go , this time with CarBrite Cutting Glaze, not so hard as the Liquid Micro, took vehicle outside and Swirl Marks gone . Having heard that some "glazes" have fillers in them I took some Acrysol and wiped the entire vehicle down , back outside again and ..no swirl marks .

Finally back inside for a final go round with the Cyclo and some wax , used some Meguairs #26.

Now this really had me shocked to be honest, I never EVER believed that you could buff a vehicle with a wool pad and not get swirl marks , but after 18 months of practice with various pads , buffers, orbitals etc....I think I may have finally gotten it figured out.

I have to say, I actually had a lot of fun with this vehicle and got a huge amount of satisfaction with doing it, and the thing was shining like a brand new vehicle when it was done.

Sorry for my rambling, but I had a good day !

Jim.</HTML>
Re: Wool pads
October 08, 2003 02:34AM
<HTML>So, Jim...what're you gonna do with all those foam pads now? lol. I've also used foam pads and only rarely used a wool pad.

But I recently took a wetsanding class and will be getting into using the wool pad more for follow up buffing. To be honest, I've been happy with the foam pads, but I'll give the woolies a fair shot.</HTML>
October 08, 2003 06:32AM
<HTML>Men:

There is a place for white 100% wool pads; poly/wool blend pads; and foam pads in the cutting area.

100 % Wool - badly oxidized single stage paint finishes
severly scratched clear coats
buffing after wet/dry sanding of new paint

Poly/Wool Blend - for moderate to heavy scratches in clears and single stage paint finishes

Foam - lightly scratched clears and single stage paint finishes.

SWIRL REMOVING/POLISHING

You can use one of two pads, a foam polishing pad or a real sheepskin pad.

Hope this helps

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 09, 2003 03:56AM
<HTML>I prefer wool myself. Not really sure of the blend though. I will check into that.
I like to use my high speed (Low rpms) to remove glaze. It seems to really bring up a shine. I am using a ploish pad.
I also like to use foam after a wetsand. But then I follow with wool.</HTML>
October 11, 2003 07:29AM
<HTML>Everytime I use wool pads I look like a sheep when I'm finished. Takes longer to get the wool off me then to buff a car.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login