Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CarBrite classes

Posted by Jim Hammill 
CarBrite classes
October 08, 2003 03:28AM
<HTML>Got some information from CarBrite today about theur recondioning classes , anyone ever been on one of these ? Its a two day class and is free of charge, they say "We cover Car Brite's recommended reconditioning process and review all product categories used at each step. There is a classroom component complete with a Power Point presentation and a training binder containing hard copies of all visuals shown. Plus, there is a "hands on" component, in which we completely detail two vehicles. "

Now we use a lot of CarBrite chemicals anyway , so not worried about the sales pitch.

Just intrested to know if anyone has ever attended one of these .

Jim.</HTML>
Re: CarBrite classes
October 08, 2003 11:40AM
<HTML>Jim, keep me (us) posted on stuff like this, we are never too old to learn. I'd love to attend something like that. G</HTML>
October 09, 2003 04:03AM
<HTML>I was looking at that myself not long ago. Free too! I was thinking about either spending the money for one of those seminars with detail king, video series/manual or going to the carbrite training.
One thing Bud wrote lately really rings true for me; not knowing what I don't know has always been costly for me. I simply dont know what I dont know...sometimes until it is too late.
I want to constanly improve my skills on every level from marketing to cleaning and polishing. I am still looking around and waiting for the inspiration for the right place/source for my continuing education.
In the meantime, this forum sure helps fill a needed gap in my world.
Jim, Do let me know what you learn or hear.
Thanks</HTML>
October 09, 2003 04:32AM
<HTML>Will do guys, just waiting to hear back from them and if the dealership will go with it, if not then I am going to go ahead and do it anyway, the next class is on Novemebr 17/18.

Your right Phil , I probably learn something new everyday at this forum, and it suprises the hell out of me how much I dont know at times, and grateful that thee are so many talented people here who are willing to share thier time and knowledge for free.

Jim.</HTML>
October 09, 2003 12:18PM
<HTML>Jim, where is the Nov class going to be held? gary</HTML>
October 09, 2003 12:43PM
<HTML>Gary , it's at their training center in Indianapolis.

Jim.</HTML>
October 09, 2003 10:40PM
<HTML>I recently attended one of these classes in Indianapolis at Car Brites factory facility. The course is very well laid out and as the man says you can always learn something new. I have about seven years of high end detailing background as well as having been a Car Brite Sales Rep since last January. I took the cousre so I will be able to teach one locally and I was curious how they do theirs. The course is geared to Car Brite distributors, but given that, is an excellent course whether you have ten years experience, or nil. If you have the chance to go, do it. You will be impressed. And hey you will I promise learn something to take back with you.</HTML>

&quot;Shhh...Da Doctor is Operatin!&quot;
October 09, 2003 10:41PM
<HTML>Oh yeah, feel free to contect me if you have any questions about this or anything else Car Brite.

CarBrite@canada.com</HTML>

October 10, 2003 12:59AM
<HTML>Ok, booked up to go on this today , heading up there on November 17th . Spoke to CarBrite today , and while the course is really designed for their new distrubitors he said it is an excellent source of information.

While the course is ideal for beginners , he said they usually get a few detailers there as well, so it becomes a kind of "swap techniques" type of thing. It costs zero bucks , you just have to get yourself there and pay for your accomadation. They book the hotel for you, you just pay the bill. That way everyone is in the same hotel , and they said they will send a van to pick everyone up and drive them to the class, and errr ..probably have a beer or two together in the evening .

He said the course is very informative , and while designed for the beginner , it will aslo benefit the more experienced.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Jim.</HTML>
October 10, 2003 01:07AM
<HTML>Only caution I would offer is that when a chemical company puts on a seminar they usually discuss "their" chemicals. Which means that you do not really get a clear understanding of the "chemistry" involved in that particular chemical, it Rough Cut or Zip Wax or Lustre Glaze or Hot One.

Their conversation is to use Hot One for this and for that. You don't know what it is other than you use it on engines or whatever.

If you can get past this type of indoctrination and they provide you some good generic information, apart from using their chemicals then it will be worth the time and effort and what money you have expend to attend.

It is always better to get generic training, especially on the subject of chemicals, but you will never find a chemical company that talks generially about chemicals.

Jim, if you go let us know what you think.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 10, 2003 03:15AM
<HTML>The course is likely meant for new distrbutors to get to know the product line and how to detail as per the Car Brite method, but it is in fact very beneficial to anyone in the detailing industry regardless of their product loyalty. (All Toyota Plus dealers are trained there) Naturally if it's hosted by a specific manufacturer, then they will use their own products (DUH!) but when I took the course, I was not too suprised to see several detailers there as it is probably the only course offered by a manufacturer to anyone interested and at no cost! Also they were very open about competitors products. The real thing hereis Car Brite is unquestionably the industry leader, and their product line is more extensive than so called competitors. With a complete Manufacturing and Laboratory facility they are way ahead of others in quality control and research since 1947!</HTML>

October 10, 2003 03:52AM
<HTML>Their product line is also more expensive than their competitiors, one of the reasons we stopped using CarBrite exclusively. Malco make products that are just as good , sometimes better, and much more competitively priced. They also have thier own research and development labs.We have been using Malco products side by side with CarBrites and Malco often put CarBrite in the shade. HouChem also make some products that are as good and much cheaper.

I'm not putting CarBrite down, I am abig fan of theirs, but they need to do soemthing about their prices .

I spoke to CarBrite today, and they told me that the class is a 5 day class designed for their new distrubitors, the first two days are spent in the classroom and the shop. They throw the first two days open to anyone who really wants to go, if they have enough spaces, they try to fill them up with their own people first. They told me that they do go in to quite a lot of depth on the chemicals, what they contain, how they should be used and when not to use them etc. They talk about how different chemicals are made, what each element does, and the efect it has on the different surfacs it is placed on.

I'm really looking forwards to it .

Jim.</HTML>
October 10, 2003 04:09AM
<HTML>Doctor Detail:

With all due respect but there are several other "long-time" detail chemical manufacturers in the industry with credentials as extensive as Car Brite, and whose product line is as good as theirs: Pro; Production; Granitize; Auto Magic; Ardex; P&S; Mark V (until they were sued out of business by Auto Magic over the clay); Stoner; Malco and several others.

In fact, for years I supplied the body clay that Car Brite was selling under their name. They now sell a clay imported by Auto Magic. As does many other chemical manufacturers.

As was pointed out, there is no criticizm of Car Brite, a good company but they are no more special than any of the other companies in the industry.

If you want to be educated about chemicals it has to be from a neutral party or you have to do your own self-education.

The only reason that Toyota uses their products is that they happen to win the Toyota contract and that was, I am certain, based on price as most of these manufacturer and auto auction contracts are. PRICE.

In any case, if it does not cost much for you to attend a class like this I would certainly go you can always learn something.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 06:13PM
<HTML>Car Brite's products are not the cheapest, nor are they interested in trying. Our product line is exclusively manufactured by us and our products are made to extremely high tolerances and with only premium products. If you want to save money and buy a lesser product, you will inevitably get the results you paid for. Kind of like saying Rolls Royce charges too much money when your Toyota is a car as well! We do not make the clay bar due to patent laws, and the same goes for our aerosol line. Otherwise we make each product in house. The key is do you want to pay too little for a given item and have it dissapoint, or pay a fair price for a good product? Some competetors buy bulk chemicals from the lowest bidder and may even purchase the finished product adding their labels and calling it their own. I don't know about you, but I prefer to know exactly how and where my product was made, and what went into it. You might save a few bucks, and even be happy with a lower end product, but over all if ya do the math DW... Car Brite's line is very cost effective. BTW...Toyota Plus could chosen from many other manufacturers, but chose Car Brite simply because it's better.</HTML>

October 11, 2003 06:17PM
<HTML>Perhaps "Bud" should attend one of these classes, then if he wants to dis Car Brite, he can speak from authority..instead of from his butt! Hee,hee. Seriously, check it out for yourself then if you still feel the need, criticize. It makes you more credable!</HTML>

October 11, 2003 07:33PM
<HTML>Alright, having spent the better part of the last two years using CarBrite products I feel I am qualified to give an honest opinion on them, here's my take.

We used nothing but CarBrite products for two years, when we sat down and started really looking at prices we were a little shocked. We detail on average about 130 cars a month at our dealership, both retail and lot vehicles. It used to be 90% lot vehicles, 10% retail. After we really worked on the retail side, training and educating ourselves, we now run about 75% lot vehicles and 25 % retails.

We invited some other companies in to let them show us their products and compare prices. We didnt just invite anyone, we looked around and I even read a lot of what was said on here about other suppliers. The companies we invited in were the local Meguiar's supplier, the local Malco rep, and a local independant guy who distrubutes HouChem products.

After nearly 8 months of trying products side by side on probably about 600 vehicles, with 4 detailers, we shipped a lot of the CarBrite stuff out, as follows.

Your Natures Citrus Cleaner (E013C), good product, but Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus cleans a lot better, and has a much nicer aroma, we found this a lot more versatile than the CarBrite product, it can deep clean more effectively, and gets more marks out of vinyl interior than your product. It's about 25% cheaper too. We felt that you had to work a lot harder with the CarBrite product than the Meguairs.

Extractor (HDE045). Again, a good product, but we got another one from HouChem called Maximus, works just as well according to two of our guys, and the other two guys think that is actually better than the HD . No difference in quality, but your product is more than 50% more expensive than the HouChem product.

Leather Conditioner (A082), I didnt think this product could be equalled until we tried Malcos Leather Conditioner. Simply, their product is about the same price as yours, and makes yours pale in comparison. None of our guys will switch back to the Car Brite product now, it just doesnt compare.

Leather & Plastice cleaner (E021) , another great product, but as above, can not compete with the Malco product, both for quality and price.

Metal Brite (B050), excellent product, two bucks more expensive than the Malco 1230 , and they are just as good as each other.

Super Dress It All. (C044T). We now use a HouChem product, as it is actually easier to use, gives a better finish and can be diluted down more than the CarBrite product. The price we pay is around 20% cheaper than your product, yet gives a much much better finish .

We kicked out the Phaze Glaze, the Liquid machine compound, the Crystal Buff, and the Laser Brite..

We still use..Power Pak, Cutting Glaze, Workout, Vinyl & Rubber Dressing, Finish Shine, and the Surface Clarifier. All excellent products. We will be trying Sleek , Fall Out Gel, and maybe the Brite Spot.

In many cases we are now spending a lot less money, and getting better results, MUCH better results, from companies that have been around as long as , if not longer than CarBrite, and having done the math over a 6 month peiod we are saving a lot of money while matching or improving on the CarBrite chemicals.

We have a rule at our delaership, that we never put anything on a customer car that we wouldnt use on our own vehicles. We have done a lot of work, using these products on our own vehicles for 3-4 months before using them on lot or retail details. I am happy to use, and have full confidence in every product from Meguairs, Malco, Hou-Chem, Motocraft, 3M that we use.

I kind of get irritated by comments such as "If you want to save money and buy a lesser product, you will inevitably get the results you paid for. " and
"The key is do you want to pay too little for a given item and have it dissapoint, or pay a fair price for a good product?". I have no objection to paying a good price, the quality is the prime concern. In many instances we have found products as good as, or better, sometimes cheaper, or sometimes more expensive. Are these lines that they teach you at the Training? My local Car Brite rep uses the same lines ?

When all is said and done, Car Brite make some excellent products, but please don't knock the competition, or those of us that have done a lot of work on comparison, pricing and quality becuae when you make comments like that, that's what you do.

Jim.</HTML>
October 11, 2003 08:04PM
<HTML>Toyota and Ford use Auto Magic in their reconditioning program (for Certified Used Cars.) When I was in high school, I worked in a Lincoln-Mercury dealership and they used Ardex. They are ok chemicals to get the car off the lot and for auctions but they are cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Carbrite rep, you have any samples I can try? I'm always on the lookout for new products.

Currently, I only use Auto Magic and Stoner. Never had a problem with either, just great results. Plus, Auto Magic has great training seminars for their suppliers that detailers can attend.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 11, 2003 09:57PM
<HTML>Dr Detail:

As a distributor for Car Brite I commend you for your support of the company. But the reality of detailing chemicals is that CarBrite; Pro; Production; Granitize; Ardex; Auto Magic; Stoner; Malco; P&S; Auto Glymn; Finish Kare and many others that I have not mentioned are all major suppliers of detailing chemicals to the detail industry and to the auto manufacturers.

They all make chemicals that are equal. They all have access to the same ingredients and the same type of trained chemists. They all sell to the same markets and all have access to each other's products, which they test and copy when one company makes a product that seems to be better than theirs, or at least is selling better than theirs.

That Toyota or other manufacturers use CarBrite products is no big deal. Last year it might have been Auto Magic and next year it might be Pro. These companies like Toyota and the auto auctions all put their business up for bid every year or two years, whatever. And, whichever company comes up with the best price and also the best service is chosen.

However, I can tell you that if you go to Toyota dealers and auto auctions across the country you will not find Car Brite products being used exclusively. What I find is that the detailers operating the detail shops buy what they like.

What you need to do to be competitive in your market is forget about trying to convince detailers that Car Brite products are better than any other and convince them that Dr. Detail can give them service and information that no other company in the area can give them.

What detailers need is not another chemical supplier but training on how to buff; polish; swirl remover and wax cars. They need to know how to properly clean carpets and remove stains.

On the business side they need to know how to select a location; to lay it out for best traffic flow in and out; they need to know what equipment to purchase and how much. They need to know how to get business. How to talk to dealers; rental agencies; market and advertise to the motorist.

Set yourself apart from the others, be a company that provides services that no other detail chemical supplier can provide.

DON'T YOU AGREE DETAILERS? YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CHEMICAL SUPPLIER WITH THE SAME STORY AS THE OTHERS, THAT THEIR PRODUCTS ARE THE BEST? YOU NEED SERVICE? TECHNIAL AND BUSINESS INFO. WHAT DETIALING CHEMICAL COMPANY OR DISTRIBUTOR REALLY DOES A GOOD JOB OF DOING THAT?

Like one of my good friends who owns a West Coast detail chemical company told me when I asked him if his customers did not ask for business help, he said yes they do, and his answer to me was: "Frankly, Bud it is much easier for us to sell chemicals." This from an educated and thoughtful detail chemical manufacturer.

Regards
BUDA</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 10:05PM
<HTML>Dr Detail:

As a distributor for Car Brite I commend you for your support of the company. But the reality of detailing chemicals is that CarBrite; Pro; Production; Granitize; Ardex; Auto Magic; Stoner; Malco; P&S; Auto Glymn; Finish Kare and many others that I have not mentioned are all major suppliers of detailing chemicals to the detail industry and to the auto manufacturers.

They all make chemicals that are equal. They all have access to the same ingredients and the same type of trained chemists. They all sell to the same markets and all have access to each other's products, which they test and copy when one company makes a product that seems to be better than theirs, or at least is selling better than theirs.

That Toyota or other manufacturers use CarBrite products is no big deal. Last year it might have been Auto Magic and next year it might be Pro. These companies like Toyota and the auto auctions all put their business up for bid every year or two years, whatever. And, whichever company comes up with the best price and also the best service is chosen.

However, I can tell you that if you go to Toyota dealers and auto auctions across the country you will not find Car Brite products being used exclusively. What I find is that the detailers operating the detail shops buy what they like.

What you need to do to be competitive in your market is forget about trying to convince detailers that Car Brite products are better than any other and convince them that Dr. Detail can give them service and information that no other company in the area can give them.

What detailers need is not another chemical supplier but training on how to buff; polish; swirl remover and wax cars. They need to know how to properly clean carpets and remove stains.

On the business side they need to know how to select a location; to lay it out for best traffic flow in and out; they need to know what equipment to purchase and how much. They need to know how to get business. How to talk to dealers; rental agencies; market and advertise to the motorist.

Set yourself apart from the others, be a company that provides services that no other detail chemical supplier can provide.

DON'T YOU AGREE DETAILERS? YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CHEMICAL SUPPLIER WITH THE SAME STORY AS THE OTHERS, THAT THEIR PRODUCTS ARE THE BEST? YOU NEED SERVICE? TECHNIAL AND BUSINESS INFO. WHAT DETIALING CHEMICAL COMPANY OR DISTRIBUTOR REALLY DOES A GOOD JOB OF DOING THAT?

Like one of my good friends who owns a West Coast detail chemical company told me when I asked him if his customers did not ask for business help, he said yes they do, and his answer to me was: "Frankly, Bud it is much easier for us to sell chemicals." This from an educated and thoughtful detail chemical manufacturer.

Regards
BUDA</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 10:17PM
<HTML>Dr Detail:

For the record I have been to Car Brite's plant and visited their training center and know their product line as well as you might. I know the president, and sold Car Brite their body clay for nearly 10 years before the president was threatened by a lawsuit from Auto Magic which resulted in Car Brite now buying clay from Auto Magic. Same clay that they sell thru their distrbutors.

Worked closely with another VP in the company during the ealry days of the Professional Detailing Association and exchanged training information with them.

So I would suggest that you get to know the detail chemical manufacturing and distribution business; get to know your competition and get to know something about me before you start casting stones.

What you ought to do as a new supplier is set yourself apart from the other suppliers in your area. What is not needed is another company who comes along and says, "my products are better than those you are using." You are only telling the potential customer he/she is stupid for using a bad chemical product line.

What is needed is information and training. Training on how to use paint finishing chemicals; training on how to properly shampoo carpets; remove acid rain; deal with rail dust; remove stains from carpet.

What equipment to use; shop layout; signing and help with getting business from dealers; rental agencies; fleets; the motorist. Hellp with advertising and marketing.

IS THAT NOT RIGHT DETAILERS? YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CHEMICAL DISTRIBUTOR COMING ALONG TO TELL YOU HIS CHEMICALS ARE BETTER THAN THOSE YOU ARE NOW USING? YOU NEED HELP WITH HOW TO GROW YOUR BUSINESS, RIGHT?

Dr. Detail, if you want to be successful take a position in your market that no other detail chemical company or distributor is taking and that is TO PROVIDE SERVICE, NOT SELL CHEMICALS.

Just some well intentioned suggestion, not advise.

Regards
bud a</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 10:27PM
<HTML>Jim:

A very thoughtful reply. You have given testimony to what I have been preaching here that detailing chemicals are just about the same. If you know how to objectively compare products you will find that you can get the same or better quality at a lower price from smaller chemical suppliers right in your own town.

As for paint finishing products, it is not that one company has a lock on a certain technology it is simply that their chemist may have formulated a compound, for example, with more oil than other. If you like a product that works fast you may not like that compound rather than one that has more oil and works longer.

Or, you may want a wax or sealant that leaves a high shine rather than one that has top top durability. The latter will not shine as much as the other one.

So if you do not know the chemistry philosophy behind the formulation of the product you really do not know what the intent was, only that you like this one better than another.

For example, a carpet shampoo. Ours is a very high quality shampoo and is expensive. It is only a 7 to 1 dilution. I sold it to a customer in the Middle East all the time. He gave me a rush order and I could not get it made and to our factory in time for the ship to sail. So I went to a local chemical manufacturer and asked them to supply me with their carpet shampoo. They sold us a 20 to 1 product. I sent it as ours and within the first week of use I got a call from the customer asking what I had sold him this time as his employees were screaming how this chemical was burning their hands. And well it should as the formulation had a much higher pH and some ingredients that were great cleaners but no to good on skin.

Keep up the good work.

Say, if you want to run your own shop I am thinking of opening one in Portland again and need a good man. Let me know

bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2003 10:33PM
<HTML>ARDEX

Brian:

Maybe the products you were using were low cost products, but you cannot make the general statement that all ARDEX products are cheap. I happen to personally know that they have an excellent line of products that are comparable to any of the other companies I have mentioned here on the forum. It all relates to which ones you are buying and comparing to another compannies.

A personal friend of mine who was the National Sales Manager for Auto Magic used to work for Ardex and we discussed at length their product line and how it was the same and differed from others.

And, yes $45 dollars a gallon is still too much to pay for boat wax. And, again how do you objectively test that this product lasts? Because it beads? The ingredients in a paint protection product that causes beading does not have anything to do with protection. A paint finish or gel coat that does not bead is not an indication that there is no protection left on the finish.

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 12:06AM
<HTML>About Ardex, I wasn't bad mouthing them, just expressing my opinion from my experience with using their products. I do however like their "Spot
Delivery." The waxes never seemed to hold up. Maybe thats why they're called "Express Wax?"

For the boats, I applied the Dolphinite at the initial start of the season and now 8 months later there is hardly any oxidation of the gel coat and the boats clean up easier that in the beginning. I don't really go by beading, only by clean up and shine.

And yes, $45 IS still too expensive but what can you do? It's the best stuff I've ever used on boats.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 12, 2003 04:47PM
<HTML>Bud...

It seems as usual you have been able to move the topic well away from it's intended goal. I've run across this problem as the main reason not to remain on this site from other detaliers I've talked to about this site. The tendency of one or more individuals to spout inane knowledge to the detrement of others who actually might otherwsie participate and benefit from a site such as this.

Although off the original topic regarding Car Brite classes, I would like you to know that I personally believe very strongly that the only way to build a business to to serve your customers better than anyone else. This alone will almost guarantee that no one will be able to get in the door. Otherwise I can only offer the best price I can and continually strive to educate my clients, as there is no point in selling something if the user doesn't know how to use it effectively. I've run across my competitors running down others products and this only seems to hurt them as the customer loyalty is almost invaribly aligned more strongly with the underdog...so to speak. As for the products, they are simply not all the same period. Some are better than others simply du to the quality of the manufacturing process. Many might seem similar as evidenced by competetors trying to match or copy succesful products, which has caused the somewhat confusing number of similar products. We simply have more overall products, and offer many that treat specific concerns that our competition can not offer.</HTML>

October 12, 2003 07:26PM
<HTML>No intent to move away from the topic at all. This is what these forums are about. Bringing up ideas that expand. That is what happened here.

My opinions are just what they are, opinions. Just like you, I am free here to offer my opinions. Because they do not agree with yours is nothing personal against you. It is a difference of opinion. Please let us keep differences of opinion just what they are. Do not engage in personal attacks because someone disagrees with you.

You know as a French political philosopher stated: "I my disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 10:19PM
<HTML>Car Brite - Canada:

You are absolutely correct, if someone said something about me or my company that was inaccurate I would defend the statement.

What inaccurate statements are you illuding to???

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login