Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ghost from the......

Posted by turboman 
Ghost from the......
November 12, 2002 01:54PM
Greetings, Ghost, I tried to e mail you direct but it came back so I will post here. Question on something you said that I thought was a good idea, so I tried it and wanted to comment on it. My weakness is windows, no matter how hard or what I do, I still get streaks...recently I have made some positive changes (went to a solution of denatured alcohol and distilled h2o .. I use a two step process, first I use a lint free surgical towel, then follow with a micro fiber (color coded for windows only so I don't mix with wax/polish in the wash cycle. Much better but still when I bring in the sun its not pefect. I had an old leather chamois, so I used it as the final step, it looked worse than with the micro? I was wondering could it be that it is too old? should I of use it dry, (I wouldn't think that would work because when dry it's like a leather suit case. ) Please respond with your thoughts, thanks Turbo

Re: Ghost from the......
November 13, 2002 02:22AM
Your idea of the alc & H2O is sound, and there is nothing wrong with your method...up until your use of the chamois.

The correct way to use the chamois, is A) wash the chamois with a load of laundry (no fabric softener) This removes the dirt/grease & oils that the chamois picked up (in the case of a new chamois, it removes the oils used in tanning the leather).

Then cool smiley DRY it with the load of clothes again no F/S this includes *BOUNCE sheets (tumble drying with other clothes allows the chamois to dry 'soft,' instead of stiff like it would it you just let it air dry).

Once it has been washed & dried, if feels kind of rough, just like a micro fiber. Then you use it as the "final buffing" towel for the glass. Buff for about 15 seconds per window (or 1/2 of the windshield/ rear window).

In the case of a regularly maintained car, you can use the chamois alone to just "re-buff" the glass back to perfect clarity. Since the chamois is used primarily on clean surfaces, it doesn't need washed often.

PS: the email I listed is invalid, for now I wish to remain a "ghost."

-ghost of a past detailer
November 14, 2002 03:31AM
Thanks Ghost....oh I forgot something BOO!

November 14, 2002 05:20AM
Do you use a side to side sweep motion when doing the windows

I use a ne 100% cotton cloth and in 3 side to side sweeps the window is done and no streaks.
November 14, 2002 05:59AM
Up & down, side to side, whatever works best for that particular window.

-ghost of a past detailer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login