Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Newby Intro

Posted by Pascal Nemmar 
Newby Intro
March 26, 2003 09:16PM
Hello all,

I have been lurking for a couple of days on this and a couple of other phorums and have to say that, with the exception of a few flame wars here and there, this seems to be the most novice friendly phorum in the car detailing arena. So tenatively, I would like to ask a few questions about the project car.

My girlfiend owns a 97 Mazda Millenium with probably more than it's fair share of road usage.

The odometer shows 127 grand but the engine and tranny are just now broken in (25,000 miles). So the need to keep this car for a while is evident yet the miles have taken their toll.

I am a physically fit, (thank God) veteran who has time on the weekends only thanks to a lengthy commute. So there is no reason that I should not be able to get this car squared away!

So now that I have set the stage I would like to ask for assistance in a number of issues I have.

Issue number one. I was advised by a person working at the Local Auto Zone that the best thing to use on the shoe-scuff marks on the hard plastic of the doors and door jams was bug remover. It did indeed work marvelously on the doorjams and doors but it also lightly splattered (due to my eagerness) onto a portion of the leather seats and bleached them. Is there anything i can do for that or do I just chalk it up to bad idea?

Issue number two. I have also heard that Dry Ice will "Pull" a small no creased door ding out of the body (yes I know this is a detail forum - but it never hurts to ask). Has anyone had experience with this?

Issue number three. Numerous scratches on the paintjob...one specifically one that gones all the way to the metal. I have found numerous paint matching answers (sanding pens and the such) and would like to hear what any of you here have experience with.

I will limit this post to those three items and pose other questions later. Thank you in advance for any suggestions that you all may offer.

Exitus acta probat.
Re: Newby Intro
March 26, 2003 10:25PM
I almost forgot to mention that I am leaning towards Langka for the scratch.... Regards

Exitus acta probat.
March 26, 2003 10:42PM
Hi and welcome to the board.

I am in a hurry and will only mention one idea for the scratches.

If you have a little money a professional that air brushes the scratches can do amazing things. I have seen nicks and scratches go from awfull to invisible! Some detailers offer this treatment but usually you see it at dealerships and body/paint shops. Depending on how bad its scratched the cost cen be very reasonable. At least here in Indiana there not charging a fortune for this kind of work. Check it out, you might want to shop for the price to see if you want to go that route. If it was my car thats what I would do since I know how great the results can be.

Good luck,
John
March 26, 2003 10:48PM
Pascal

I have the lanka and it works like a charm no kidding about it. I use it for a service that I offer to customers. If you but it direct on line they will send you links to sites that will walk you threw the process.

Shoe marks on the doors, bur remover I'm sure works well, but start with a general purpose cleaner and a light bristle brush, this removes most if not all marks. The tougher ones I might use a bit of paint thinner and wipe and clean right away, careful with that it can fade the finish.
As for the leather I would have to see it, check with a dealer of a leather specialty place it may need to be dyed again. Unless you can live with it.

Dry ice for dents that's a first one for me have not idea.

Scratches on the car for the lighter ones start with a light liquid rubbing compound and see how that does. If there is more to remove take it up one step to a heaver one. Be careful here not to rub to hard you do not want to go threw the paint or clear coat. I have pulled allot of scratches out of cars with much success. Be happy to help you in anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login