Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ford F-150 King Ranch Leather seats, cleaning

Posted by Jim Hammill 
Ford F-150 King Ranch Leather seats, cleaning
October 12, 2003 02:37AM
<HTML>Had one of these traded at our dealership sometime ago, it was very clean , and luckily so as they have the leather seats that are untreated or coated, its just raw leather . We were too scared to even sit on these things let alone try to clean them . I did a little research on them in case we ever get another one in for a detail and this is what I found out, thought I's pass it on to you guys .

from< ahref="[www.forbes.com]; Forbes.com</a>
"The story behind all this cowhide is that the King Ranch is a real Texas cattle farm and they also make saddles there. Really good saddles. So Ford struck a deal with them to add their leather, properly accented with an off-white stitch, to the seats of a limited number of their Lariat four-seat trucks and charges $2,500 above the usual Lariat price for the option. The leather also crests the armrests, both front and rear, and special leather saddle-bag style pouches with purse-like magnetic closures have been created in the front seatbacks. In essence, every surface you might touch with your skin, save radio knobs and the like, is swathed in the buttery material. "

From the <a href="[www.krsaddleshop.com] Ranch Web-site</a>
The leather we use in our products will last for many years with proper care. In our experience, the best way to clean and preserve leather is either with saddle soap or with 4/Way Leather Care, a product available through us or from many other places where fine leather goods are sold. If you use saddle soap allow the leather to dry thoroughly and then apply Leather Balm or some similar product as a preservative and conditioner. Do not use oil on any of our leather products. Doing so will turn the leather very dark.

Jim.</HTML>
Re: Ford F-150 King Ranch Leather seats, cleaning
October 12, 2003 12:31PM
<HTML>JIm, Great post, I hope any fellow detailers who read this will pay strict attention to what you have written. This is why....about 8 months ago I received a referral from a regular customer to a friend who had a "unique" truck who needed a detailer. I went buy the fellows office to see the truck and was totally surprised when I saw the King Ranch leather all throughout the truck.....unbelievable. I had never seen anything like this in all my years of detailing. He explained to me that another detailer had been doing he and his wifes car for about 3 years and he had recently fired him because he did not know how to care for the leather in his new truck and had used a product that faded the leather in several areas. I was lucky in that I own several saddles and had 4/way leather care at home. I explained to him what I planned to use and to my surprise he went back into his office and returned outside with a smile on his face and a brochure from King Ranch and showed it to me. It of course recommended the 4/way. I got the job and still detail his truck every two weeks including the leather each time. The leather, like you say, is like butter..soooooo smooth and subtle. I am not sure I would ever pay $2500.00 for such but it is truly awesome!!!! I have since learned that he(now the president of a large company in North Carolina) was originally from Oklahoma and bought that truck solely because of the saddle leather and it reminds him daily of his childhood, saddles and horses. He is a bit of a fanatic but pays extremely well smiling smiley)))) and has led me to several other regular customers. Your post was another example of how forums such as this assist in the education of detailers who are always looking to learn. By the way...4/way can be purchased at most Western shops that carry saddles and other leather products. Thanks again Jim for a great post and hopefully no detailer who reads this will fade someone's $2500.00 investment with the incorrect product and loose a lucrative customer. Have a great day and happy detailing. Ron</HTML>
October 12, 2003 07:08PM
<HTML>I have a few customers who are so obsessive with their cars. One woman comes to me once a week for an express detail on her 2001 Corvette. She's loaded so lets hope she stays obsessed!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 12, 2003 11:36PM
<HTML>Here are some pictures of these seats for those interested:

[wawii.f150online.net]

They are called "Castano Leather Captain Seats". I was told these seats are a full grained tanned leather. Customers have reported that the "Feibing 4-way and the Lexol products" to be their products of choice. The King Ranch F-150 conditioner is said to have a white crystalline affect on the headrests. Also reports of a strong solventy smell which is said to be bothersome. Feibling 4-way was reported to be less money than lexol and almost exact results were acheived. King Ranch Conditioner can be obtained through www.krsaddleshop.com</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login