Posted by Rick U.. 
Door Hinges
October 12, 2003 02:37AM
<HTML>Open topic:

Door Hinges;
How far do you go?</HTML>
Re: Door Hinges
October 12, 2003 03:00AM
<HTML>Degreaser, small brush, water hose. Get that crap outa there. No reason the paint there shouldn't match the exterior color. If repeat customer, you should only have to get in there with a brush every 6 months or so.

jer</HTML>
October 12, 2003 03:03AM
<HTML>Rick, as far as anyone can see .

All of our lot vehicles and retails get the same treatment , soaked in a degreaser first to get the grime etc off, then sprayed off with water , and dried . We have been pretty quiet in our bay recently so have been experimentung with different things , we tried using Aquagloss from Malco, it's one of those quick "use when still wet " waxes . It's not something we normally use but were given a bottle to try, so we sprayed it on the door jams and hinges etc, dried it with a chamois, and surpised to find it was nice , quick and easy , and put a nice gloss on the paint etc.

Other than that just dress the door rubber and the rubber cable that is in the door jams (not sure what its called, the thing that the electircal wires run through, from the door pillar to the door ?)

Jim.</HTML>
October 12, 2003 03:44AM
<HTML>I do some really god-awful wholesale cars for next-to-nothing rates. I give myself about 2hours 15 minutes to complete one so I can feel like my profit margin is higher. Many times the jams are full of french fries, grease, pancakes and the like. What has been writen so far seem to work for me but there is another thing I sometimes do. Car Brite Makes a product call Gloss It. It is for finger prints and such (Hey Bud, what is that stuff anyway) If the jams are not in need of nuclear waste removal then I spritz the jams and wipe...ta da! Thats stuff cleans well enough to use on jams.</HTML>
October 12, 2003 11:51AM
<HTML>If the hinges are dirty we have to spray with cleaner in the wash bay and hit with the pressure washer. Be certain to not eliminate all the hinge grease this is necessary.

As for the entire jamb we will wash with a wash mitt we keep in wash bay to scrub engines, etc. Not the one used for the body wash. Then rinse.

As a fail safe method, the last thing that is done when cleaning the interior as you move out of the car is to spray the entire door jamb and entire edge of the door with all purpose cleaner and wipe completely clean with the towel used in the interior. Move to the back with clean towels and do the interior there and then on the way out spray the jamb and door edge as described.

Again, with the hinges to do not remove the hinge grease or lubricant.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 03:23PM
<HTML>...having said that Bud, there is another solution.
We re-grease all the door hinges and locks. And under the bonnet, we re-grease the battery terminals, earth connection, bare bolts and screws and anything else which looks like it could rust.

Applying grease isn't rocket science and you don't need to be a mechanic. and all you need is a couple of cans of the appropriate stuff. It's a little extra service which out customers really appreciate. You can't beat good service.</HTML>
October 12, 2003 03:37PM
<HTML>Excellent point about re-greasing the hinges. I should have mentioned that as a possibility.

But then that is one more thing you have to remember to do.

If you do not have to remove the grease on the hinges don't do it. Why create work for yourself.

Not disagreeing with you, just offering another thought about this subject.

Buda</HTML>

buda
October 12, 2003 03:37PM
<HTML>Excellent point about re-greasing the hinges. I should have mentioned that as a possibility.

But then that is one more thing you have to remember to do.

If you do not have to remove the grease on the hinges don't do it. Why create work for yourself.

Not disagreeing with you, just offering another thought about this subject.

Buda</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login