Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Engine Washing

Posted by Mark Rogers 
Engine Washing
June 30, 2003 08:46PM
<HTML>What is the best way to clean a motor. Have lots of problems especially with Corvettes. Need some help fast. Thanks</HTML>
Re: Engine Washing
June 30, 2003 10:43PM
<HTML>I have washed a C4 Corvette engine and can relate. So many delicate parts.

I wrapped them in foil and made sure it was a secure as I could make it, I used a citrus based degreaser and lightly sprayed the engine. Iavoided the air intake box entirely fearing possible water seapage into the air filter. I let the cleaner sit for about five minutes then I lightly sprayed the engine with a hose on the lightest setting possible on the nozzle. I did repeat some heavily grimed areas.

When all done I immediately blowed standing water in small spaces with a leaf blower. Definitely take your time doing this. I removed the foil. Then I ran the engine for several more minutes. I checked again and the engine looked good.

I polished aluminum parts with Flitz polish.( any aluminum polish should be ok) I applied with a toothbrush and buffed with a cotton cloth. Looked really good.

I used 303 on all the plastic and rubber. Looked very crisp.

Might not be the best or most orthodox way of doing it but it did work for me and most importantly, there were no issues with standing water or damage to electric parts. Just have to be really careful and take plenty of time.

Bill</HTML>
July 01, 2003 12:44AM
<HTML>Are you asking how to clean it from a safety point of view or from a "cleaning" point of view?

Bill gave you some good advise from a safety reference, is that all you needed?

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
July 01, 2003 01:22AM
<HTML>I also use the foil trick, also, spray some WD-40 around the delicate areas like distributors, and other electroics, this will aide as a water barrier. I also let the engine run when pressure washing, seems to help.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login