Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Swirls from the Makita....HELP

Posted by Duncan Carter 
<HTML>Hello,

I just received my Makita, and tried to use it on part of my trunk and my hood, it looked perfect in the garage after I finished, but when I took it out in the sunlight, I saw swirlrl marks where I used the Makita. I have a black car so they are really noticeable in the sun.

I used a white polishing pad from properautocare.com (http://www.properautocare.com/porcabac.html), that is not too agressive, with some XP polish from Auto Magic.

What did I do wrong, does the pad have to be totally flat? or at a slight angle?

The speed of the buffer was in between 2 and 3. Could I have possibly moved the buffer too slowly?

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
Re: Swirls from the Makita....HELP
July 08, 2003 02:09AM
<HTML>I just bought my Makita a few weeks back and the first car I did was my black 2000 Monte Carlo. It came out looking great. Or at least as great as a factory orange peel black paint can look that is 3 years old.
I have since done 3 other cars One of which is my 86 Monte Carlo SS that had a 5000 dollar paint job last year. It picked up alot of fine scratches in storage and being washed so I decided to put the Makita to it. The car is a deep maroon and worse to up keep than black in my opinion. It came out looking fantastic. After buffing I sealed it with Diamond Plus.

I used a 3M #108 or #208 detail polish with a 5725 foam polishing pad at about 1650 rpms which is one or two clicks past 3 on the Makita variable.
As far as holiding the buffer keep it at about a 15 degree angle, not quite perfectly flat on the car. The buffer is much easier to control that way. I know nothing about the polish and pad you mentioned so I can't advise you on that. Ask the manufacturer of the polish the recommended speed. 3M says about 1800 rpm for their stuff but I prefer it a little slower. Keep the buffer moving at a steady pace and don't let it run dry. When you see the product no longer on the car make one more pass and that should be enough.

Whatever you do don't give up on the rotary. It is just a matter of finding what caused your problem. A rotary is what is required to correct problems permanetly such as scratches and swirl marks. Something was too aggressive. Either the polish or the pad. I received a foam polish pad with my Makita and the surface of it feels like sandpaper compared to my 3M polish pads. It even has a rougher feel than my compounding pads. I put it up on the shelf and probably will never use it.</HTML>
July 08, 2003 06:43AM
<HTML>Duncan:

You assume that it was the buffer that was the problem. What you must do first and formost is the following:

1. Identify the paint finish, is it single stage or clear coat?
2. Identify the paint finish problem and the extent to which you can
correct it.
3. Choose the right tool; pad and chemicals
4. In this case you chose a buffer, but what was the problem?
5. Did you choose the right chemical or was it too aggressive for the condition of the paint. You will get scratches, in the form of swirls if the chemical was to aggressive.
6. Did you choose a polishing/swirl remover pad or a cutting pad?

There are numerous reasons for the problem, but you have to go step by step to insure you made the right decisions in terms of tool; chemical and pad and made the right diagnosis of the problem.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Paint is a clear coat
The problems were light scratches, and cobwebs.
I used a polish which was not too aggressive
I used a polishing pad not a cutting pad

I am assuming it is my technique, this was my first time using it, I probably just need practice, I am going to the DetailKing training this July hopefully I will be better after that.

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
<HTML>I applied some Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover Polish with a Porter Cable and it seems like most of the swirls are gone, I do still see a few, so I guess I have to go over it again.

Duncan</HTML>
<HTML>Duncan,

Hi there
The polish that you used is best if used with a foam finish pad or use the xp cutting compound follow with xp polish then a sealer. I was taught to keep the buffer flat as much as possible which is what I do- back down to 2 on the buffer and see if this helps.

Di</HTML>
July 09, 2003 12:46AM
<HTML>As I told you, the PC will not eliminate swirls only cover them up. Wipe the car down with alcohol and you will see that the swirls you thought you removed are still there.

I just had a lengthly conversation today with both a paint engineer and a detail chemical company executive about buffers and orbitals and scratches.

They both agree that you need the heat of the buffer to breakdown the abrasive in the compound to eliminate the scratch. An orbital does not give you heat. You get more friction with your hand than you do with an orbital.

Key is to use a compound that is less abrasive than the scratches you are trying to remove. If you use too aggressive a compound or too aggressive a pad you will create more damage.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
<HTML>I have used a Porter Cable to remove oxidation from another car, and it did a very good job, so I don't understand, if it can remove oxidation, shouldn't it be able to remove swirls and light scratches?

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
July 09, 2003 02:55AM
<HTML>Duncan,
Good lighting!!! . . . . . .If you can't see what you are working on, your only guessing!
you need good lighting to determine the proper course of action; products, pads, speed, etc.</HTML>

The problems of yesterday have produced the blessings of today.
Lot-A-Details, In Seattle
<HTML>That is true, even during the day I couldn't see the swirl marks, I could only see them in the sun. I will be installing some flourescent lights in my garage, which should help a lot.

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
<HTML>Bud,

I am doing a brand new 2003 Black Monte Carlo.
The owner decided to wax the car using the Karate Kid method (applying the wax in a circular motion) not just that , but he also used a cleaner wax.
Needless to say the car is now filled with swilrs.

I was thinking of using my rotary and a fine compound with a yellow foam pad, or should i just use a swirl remover.
Any sugestions, i dont want to give the car those 3D swilrs.

Thanks inn Advance,

Kevin</HTML>
July 10, 2003 01:31AM
<HTML>I would use the rotary with a swirl remover/polish and foam polishing pad before I used a compound with a compounding pad.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login