Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Waterless Carwash

Posted by waterless 
Waterless Carwash
October 14, 2003 07:57AM
<HTML>I have been using waterless carwash by DWG International. I have been satisfied with it's ease and performance. Just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on it. I was an avid Meguiars user for 10 years. I consistently used #2,#7, and #26 on my vehicles but have recently been using the waterless wash. Please post comments positive or negative.

Thanks</HTML>
Re: Waterless Carwash
October 14, 2003 11:38AM
<HTML>Do a Search on this subject and you will find many opinions.

Good luck with this thread (-;</HTML>
October 14, 2003 06:25PM
<HTML>Professional detailers do not use, nor do they put any stock in waterless wash.

Grandma and Grandpa have been using a form of waterless wash for years to clean their cars. It is called, or wash called, kerosense or mineral spirits on a rag. They religiously wiped their cars off with this method for years when they were too old to wash them.

I would suspect they now go to an automatic carwash.

Our chemist did a analysis of Dri Wash n' Guard which was the first waterless wash on the market and it was 93% water and 7% active ingredients.

We offered a waterless for only about $14.95 a gallon compared to what they were charging for Dri Wash n' Guard.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 14, 2003 08:40PM
<HTML>BUD,
I TRIED THIS KEROSENE ON A BURNT ORANGE COLORED TRUCK YEARS AGO.
O MYYYYYY TALK ABUT A SMEARY MESS AND FOR A LONG TIME. NO WAY TO FIX IT I JUST LET IT WEAR OFF IN THE RAIN. WE ALL LEARN SOMETIMES THAT THE OLD TIME FIXES ARE NOT THE EASIEST WAY. STAN</HTML>
October 14, 2003 09:17PM
<HTML>Only thing I might try that is almost a waterless wash is Protect-All's Quick and Easy Wash. I could never bring myself to washing without water involved some how in the process.</HTML>
October 14, 2003 09:28PM
<HTML>Exactly. Dri Wash n' Guard should never be used by a professional. Without water, how do you detail the engine, jambs, hinges, etc?

A customer of mine used to get his car done by a "professional mobile detailer' who used Dri Wash n' Guard. He said never again. It scratched and just left the car dirty where it was supposed to be "detailed." I can see this used on showroom cars at dealers but never a customers dirty car.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 15, 2003 03:02AM
<HTML>Bud,
It's good to state your opinions but you should be careful about talking for the whole profession. Some pro detailers DO use waterless washes. There is a waterless wash made by Poorboy that works great and I personally have had incredible results with it.
Just a thought.</HTML>
October 15, 2003 03:30AM
<HTML>Robert:

Thank you for your suggestion it is taken in the spirit given.

However, I think if you took a survey of detailers as to how many use waterless wash, or how many consider waterless wash a professional product I think you would find the overwhelming majority who do not and would not.

That is only based on what I know from detailers I communicate with and the opinions expressed on this and other forums when the subject of waterless wash is brought up.

Also, if it were a true professional product why don't the major detail chemical companies offer the product? If you recall it's entre on to the market was thru a multi-level marketing scheme. The people selling it did not know the first thing about appearance care. I probably had 10 distributors call on me to sell this "revolutionary" product.

Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 16, 2003 05:52AM
<HTML>I am not familiar with this situation as I have not been around that long, but I suppose you speak of the Dri-wash, etc? Multi-level marketing leaves a sour taste in everybody's mouth for sure!
However, the product I speak of is called Spray and Wipe and is made by a new company started up by an ex-painter and detailer. The company is called Poorboy's World and can be found at:
www.poorboysworld.com
Many pro detailers are usings it right now for light cleaning and removing product between steps but many are trying it for initial wash and between detail washings. I have heard mountains of positive feedback on a forum called Detail City without a negative comment yet.
Just food for thought.</HTML>
October 16, 2003 07:54AM
<HTML>Spray and wipe has the same idea as Auto Magic's "Body Shine" and "Magic Mist," Meguiars "Quick Detailer" and Ardex's "Spot Delivery" right?

I endorse these products for use on lightly dusted finishes only. They shouldn't take the place of water since scratching will be inevitable if the vehicle is in need of a washing.

At the dealership, if a car was to be delivered to a customer, we would use Body Shine on it, ONLY if the car was a little dusty. However, these types of detailing chemicals are great on collectors cars and show cars that sit in a garage collecting dust. Same with dealer showroom cars.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 16, 2003 03:43PM
<HTML>Robert:

What Brian A has just posted is where there is a use for "waterless wash" and in that case, it is not a waterless wash, but a product to spiff up a car for delivery at a dealership that is not dirty; or to remove fingerprints in the showroom or for a detailer to touchup a car for delivery.

What the MLM companies are suggesting is that you can "wash" a dirty car with this stuff.

Every professional carwash operator and detailier knows is that you need to blast off the dirt first; then apply shampoo and then wash with a lot of water on the surface as you are washing to prevent the particals in the dirt from scratching the paint.

We are on the same path, just different ones.

BudA</HTML>

buda
October 16, 2003 03:43PM
<HTML>Robert:

What Brian A has just posted is where there is a use for "waterless wash" and in that case, it is not a waterless wash, but a product to spiff up a car for delivery at a dealership that is not dirty; or to remove fingerprints in the showroom or for a detailer to touchup a car for delivery.

What the MLM companies are suggesting is that you can "wash" a dirty car with this stuff.

Every professional carwash operator and detailier knows is that you need to blast off the dirt first; then apply shampoo and then wash with a lot of water on the surface as you are washing to prevent the particals in the dirt from scratching the paint.

We are on the same path, just different ones.

BudA</HTML>

buda
October 16, 2003 09:41PM
<HTML>Brian, you're close but it's not quite the same. Waterless wash in this case (I cannot speak for products I have not tried) actually has better surfactants, detergents, and lubricators than most car shampoos. I too was skeptical about it as it seemed too good to be true and counter-intuitive. When I heard pro detailers use this on high end cars, I had to see for myself. I gave in and tried it and man, I was very impressed.

Quick detailers (made by many folks) are designed to spruce up a clean car. You're right on the money. They contain some surfactant ability to help lubricate and lift light dust and usually oils and silicones to replenish oils to the carnauba wax (the wax lasts longer than the shine!) to restore shine and silicones to further enhance shine. Many perfectionists use it last to add a little extra pop to their finish (i.e. Meg's Final Inspection).

Now don't get me wrong, it's not a miracle product. I would not use it on heavy soil like mud or road salt. That would be too labor intensive! I would blast it off too. However think about the surface on the microscopic level. High pressure water drops hit the dirt and push it down on the surface. Something gives and the dirts slides in some direction. Potential scratches. Anybody who has gotten a little to "gung ho" with a pressure washer knows what I'm talking about.

Water does not do the washing! If it did, we wouldn't have soap... right?
That said, soap and water with gentle agitation is the best choice for a safe, scratch-free wash. Soap molecules surround dirt and form micelles which are now soluble in water and can be safely rinsed away. The wash I found out achieves the optimum concentration of detergents and surfactants to maximize the number of micelles in solution. They then added lubricants to replenish oils to the carnauba finish and assist scratch prevention by the dirt AND the user's cloth!

Brian, the inventor/proprietor lives right by you in NY and frequents car, truck, and bike shows in the area.

Keep in mind that it's hard to say anything positive or negative about a product until you try it and test it.</HTML>
October 16, 2003 09:43PM
<HTML>By the way Brian,
I like your website! However, based on the quality of your offered services -IMHO- your prices are too low!!!</HTML>
October 16, 2003 10:23PM
<HTML>Robert:

Thanks for the praise on my website! I have to keep pricing where they are for now since there are several "I'll wash & wax your car and make it look brand new for $50.00!!!" back alley detailers around here. I can, however, raise my prices when the general public is informed properly on what auto detailing really is and what is entailed. I'm adding a section on explainations and procedures and what is involved for detailing for the public to learn from. So far, I'm competing with only one other true professional but he's 10 miles away in the urban/city part of town and I'm in the suburbs part. We're almost equal but I do boats and I'm mobile, he doesn't and isn't...he sells used cars from his lot, I don't...and our prices are around the same. We both have websites but his has been "under construction" for the past 2 years!!! :-)

As for the Spray & Wipe. I haven't tried it. However, I have tried Dri Wash n' Guard and dislike it. That's just my opinion. I still have about half a bottle from 4 years ago, which some MLMer sent me. It's still sitting in my cabinet in the garage.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 16, 2003 11:02PM
<HTML>I have heard many people dissatisfied with Dri Wash n' Guard. The name says it all. I understand it's a silicone product that for the most part attempts to cover up dirt.

Spray and Wipe is a cleaner and does just that- cleans.
A great place to use it if you weren't comfortable doing the exterior is the door, trunk and hood jambs. They get filthy, after all that's where some of the dirt rinsed off the exterior goes! Many like to bucket wash them but they can be pretty hard to rinse and dry. Also it's great for spot washing like bird droppings on a fresh finish, oil spots from working on a car and touching a fender. The stuff cleans windows and vinyl very nicely too.</HTML>
October 16, 2003 11:40PM
<HTML>Just visited the Poor Boys website, what an acxymoron when you look at the prices they are charging for their products.

If any professional detailer would be naive to pay these prices for chemicals that do not appear to be any different than what is offered by any other company, I would have to wonder.

In my opinion, they have NOTHING different or better than anyone else and their prices are exceedingly high.

What you have to ask yourselves is that if these companies were catering to detailers why do they not have wagon jobber distributors; advertise in the magazines or attend trade shows?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 17, 2003 12:11AM
<HTML>I gotta agree with Bud. Poorboys is basically a product that is rebottled from gallon jugs that you can get MUCH cheaper ANYWHERE else. He is making a KILLING selling to uninformed folks.
To quote Robert:
www.poorboysworld.com
Many pro detailers are usings it right now for light cleaning and removing product between steps but many are trying it for initial wash and between detail washings. I have heard mountains of positive feedback on a forum called Detail City without a negative comment yet.
Just food for thought.

There is a reason for that. Poorboys is a sponsor of Detail City. ANY AND ALL negative comments about the products are swiftly removed and the poster is banned. You will NEVER read a bad post there about the less than average quality with the sky high prices.

Try this, instead of using S&W, get a bottle of filtered water, add a small amount of your favorite car wash(about 1 cents worth), now compare to S&W.
Same exact rsults for a penny's worth of product. Yes, Poorboys is making a KILLING selling this. Be an informed consumer, read several boards that are not sponsored(controled)by the retailers.
How much are you paying for a penny's worth of car wash and water, LOL!!</HTML>

The &quot;BEST of The BEST&quot;
October 17, 2003 01:11AM
<HTML>Funny... you come in to insult and bash and yet you have the courage to remain anonymous.....LOL!!!!!

Have you used it or seen it? If so comment intelligently otherwise your comments are in fact useless- sorry.

The facts are that Poorboys has not always been a sponsor of DC, and people have posted less than favorable reports, and they got corrections to their use which the felt satisfied with. I have seen negative feedback on Platinum products which the admin of DC has financial interest in. I don't think this is case- sorry again.

What is it rebottled from.... HMMM? Anywhere else? Where?

BUD-
The company is less than 2 years old. They have distributors and reps and are in the process of building. They don't have the financial resources to staff trade shows or advertise in magazines yet but look for them in the future. If the product is any good then it will reach those levels and if it's not... then there you have it! I am aware of your view that there is a basic product that can be bought in bulk such as your chemicals and that they are basically the same and that any product offering something different and charging for that innovation or difference is a "boutique" product and has no place in pro detailing as they're mostly unnecessary. Fair enough, I won't try to change your mind. I was wondering if your chemicals can be used outside in direct sunlight on a hot or warm surface without consequence? I recognize that you sell to folks with a shop and bays so this may not matter to you, but would you let me know? Are there other products that advertise this?

For reference: A mobile detailer would have to erect a sunshade to work. That takes time and time is money. The shades can be expensive too and in windy situations are a royal PITA. Car show crowds love to spruce up before judging and a car in the warm sun acts a little adversely to QD's like Meg's. They tend to smear.</HTML>
October 17, 2003 01:22AM
<HTML>Robert, What is it you would like info on?
The fact that it is WAY over priced?
The fact that it lasts no longer than anything else you can get for $25 - $30 per GALLON?
These are NOT insults, facts.
I don't understand why you would think they are insults, please explain.
I know what goes on behind the scenes at Detail City- people are "paid" in FREE products to boast of the products. Free samples for free advertising, which Detail City AND Poorboys profit from.
Try other "Professional" detailing sites and see how special the opinion is of the products.
I am NOT bashing, just informing that there is nothing special about the stuff, only "average" or below average performance.

Try Buds Diamond Plus and you will see for about $23 a gallon you will have the same or better performance at a HUGE SAVINGSsmiling smiley</HTML>

October 17, 2003 01:41AM
<HTML>Isn't it illegal to rebottle someone elses products and slapping your own name lable on there?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 17, 2003 01:55AM
<HTML>All of this about some dri stuff next time lets talked about green tea and it reaction to a detailers while cleaning a vehicle [l.o.l]</HTML>
October 17, 2003 02:00AM
<HTML>Sorry Delon I missed something there.

Brian, yes it is... unless you have permission. People actually private label Poorboy's stuff.</HTML>
October 17, 2003 02:09AM
<HTML>Brian,
No, it happens a LOT with detailing products(as well as MANY other products.
You get the distributors permission and as a matter of fact, they will bottle it for you and even put on your label.
There are people here reselling Buds products as their own as well as lots of others.
The point I was making is this:
Poorboys is a "repackaged" product. ask him if he is making it in his garage, well of course he isn't. He is using a $20 per gallon product and selling it as a high priced boutique product.
People are starting to catch on to this as Professional detailers have examined it, tested it and have come to the same conclusion.
Enough about this subject, try it for yourself, test it against ANY name brand professional product and then you will know for yourself.
Don't be fooled by the internet "hype".
This forum is full of professionals, not newbies looking for the next new "miracle product".
Products have been tested, researched and the conclusions are in.
It is time that it comes to light that there are products costing MUCH less with the same or better performance.</HTML>

October 17, 2003 02:10AM
<HTML>Wayne is that you?</HTML>
October 17, 2003 02:14AM
<HTML>You're right. He doesn't make it in his garage. It's produced in a factory. Again, please get your info together before inserting your foot in your mouth.</HTML>
October 17, 2003 02:14AM
<HTML>Hi Noah or should I say WINDSOR! Or even better, WAYNE THE TROLL, of course everyone is entitled to thier own oppinion but when you state that you "know what goes on behind the scenes at Detail City" you are very wrong and in fact, do not have a clue. But I know who you are. How many times do I have to expose you for who you really are?

How many times have I banned you from Detail City??? 2, 3 4 times??

Keep up the great work!</HTML>
October 17, 2003 02:16AM
<HTML>The plot thickens.....</HTML>
October 17, 2003 02:37AM
<HTML>hmmmmmmmm. Just wondering. if everyone is so confident that it is all just a scam, then why bash it. let it bury itself. though it won't. when you take the initiative to downright bash someones products you are doing no more than cheapening your own. can your products prove themself or does it take some creative brainwashing to sell it. do yourself a favor, grow up. oh by the way, if you notice some of us DC'ers have come to comment but have yet to bash your products. go figure.</HTML>
October 17, 2003 03:39AM
<HTML>LIke I said, try Buds products and see which you like bettersmiling smiley
Wayne??</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login