Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

extreme water spots

Posted by ben smith 
extreme water spots
November 23, 2003 05:04AM
<HTML>

I detailed a 96 nissan ultima today that had severe water spots. Question? I used everthing I had from clay to acid(straight not diluted) and even 1500 grit paper. The car was better when I was done but on the bottom kickpanels they were still fairly noticeable when I was done. The water in this area is extremly hard and the car was sprayed continuosly with sprinklers. Was there anything else I could have done short of painting?

ben smith detailing
service and education</HTML>
Re: extreme water spots
November 23, 2003 07:04AM
<HTML>Water Spot Remover by Auto Magic or polishing compound. I'm surprise the paper didn't totally remove it.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: extreme water spots
November 23, 2003 09:23AM
<HTML>It sounds like you had etching and not water spotting. As you know, etching is the spots that have eaten into the clear coat. When this happens you are in trouble.

You cannot or should not wet/dry sand a factory clear coat as it is only 1.5 mils thick. Not enough to sand, hardly enough to buff.

In the aftermarket they spray the clear about 2.75 mils thick in order to wet/dry sand.

If you have a car with etching tell the customer their alternatives:

1. To let you try to make it better, but not perfect and explain why
2. To get it repainted.

This should be covered by their comprehensive as it is damage just like paint overspray would be.

By the way, when you used the acid how did you use it on the car???

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login