Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Advertising

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Advertising
October 18, 2003 07:25PM
<HTML>We have covered a great deal of topics when it comes to the detailing industry but haven't talked much about advertising.

What gets people to your business?
What forms of advertising has been most rewarding for your business?
Do you all have referral programs?

I think this will be a great topic for us all to discuss and sure will give each other great ideas and advice.

For me, word of mouth has been most rewarding for drawing in new customers. And for this, the new customer tell me who sent them and I mark in my records the senders name and will give them usually a 10% discount on their next complete detail. The 10% discount is sure worth the new revenue i'm bringing in because I know this new customer will come back.

Also, my website has brought in many inquiries from a whole range of people throughout my state. For $9.95/month hosting, I don't think you can go wrong here. I ask the customer how did you find my business and they will say, "I did a Google search of auto detailing in NJ."

Also, I'm sponsoring a Little League baseball team for next spring/summer, which is running only $300-$350. Great opportunity to network with the parents!

I almost forgot, fliers. These are probably the cheapest way to get the name out.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Advertising
October 18, 2003 08:11PM
<HTML>Brian:

Everytime the subject of advertising comes up among detailers they always say "word of mouth" and while this is an incredible way to get business I think it is humorous because when you ask them what other forms of advertising they do they say, "none." Point made.

While a lot of business novices do not like to hear this I will say it again:

"You cannot or should not advertise until you have a marketing plan. The marketing plan gives you the answer to these questions:

1. What am I selling? It is not always detailing because many different customers are buying your service for different reasons. For example, for some it is protection of investment; for others to feel good; for others they are selling the car and want top dollar; for others they are turning the car back on lease and do not want to get penalized. See the point?

2. Who will buy it? Profile of the specific customer

3. Why?

4. Where are they?

5. How do I reach them? Media you choose to reach a specific market

6. What do I say to motivate them?

7. To what extent is price an issue? Or is it an issue?

Once you answer these questions then you can advertising. If you advertise before doing this you will waste money or not get as effective results as you want. Many detailers advertise to the wrong market; some to the right market but say the wrong thing. Some have the right market; the right message but choose the wrong media.

For example, Value-Pack Coupon books are not the best form of advertising for reaching high end detail customers. They are not coupon clippers and probably would never see your ad and those who do don't buy detailing at any price.

Another absolutely critical form of advertising for detailers that is a no-brainer is a Yellow Page ad. Where do most people go to find a vendor? To the Yellow Pages.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 19, 2003 12:58AM
<HTML>Brian. I ran a small web site last year for a while, and while the business failed I learnt a thing or two about the web. These are quotes from another source..

"Diameter, a division of DoubleClick Inc. recently released a survey that shows that 24% of all internet search engine inquiries are automobile related, it's the fourth largest online shopping category after airline reservations (45%), books (40%), and clothing (29%)."

""As this information clearly demonstrates the dynamics of automotive shopping behavior has dramatically changed, and it is critical for marketers to reach these consumers when they are in the research phase of shopping,"; said Doug Knopper, Vice President and General Manager Diameter."

Your right in saying that at just $9.95 a month it's a great deal, but your search engine listing will be critical. Some people dont like to list their prices on the web-site, but if they cant find the information they are looking for they will go elsewhere.

I agree that the yellow book listing is the first and foremost piece of advertising to be purchased. We live in one of those cities where they have more than one yellow book, so which one to advertise in ? Anyone know where you can get accurate circulation figures for these books ??

There was another article online that I read a while ago, I belive it was at the carcare.org website, they are pushing a big campaign to increase the awareness of the importance of car care and maintenance. There is an estimated $60 billion in unspent car care each year, thats a huge chunk of change to be getting a piece of.

There is another detailer in town here who has an agreement with a local dealer, every time they sell a car they place one of his detailing pamphlets in the sales pack with the new vehicle.

I like the idea of sponsoring a team, have you also considered sponsoring one of the schools newletters ? The school my kids go to send home a newsletter once a month about 3 or 4 pages long. Next year I am going to ask them if I can sponsor the newsletter, or put my name and logo on it if I pay a certain amount towards the cost of printing it .

One of the restaurants that I tried to sell some services to last year, actually sells advertising space on his menus to local businesses . He puts the money towards the printing costs of his menus, and you get 50 or 60 people a day looking at your ad while they are waiting to order.

This is a great topic to start Brian, I am intending to start out on my own next year, and would love to hear more about what others are doing.

Jim.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 04:22AM
<HTML>Brian, I looked at your webpage. Nice. I like how user friendly it is.
I trade out my printing for detailing. He does my stuff on slow days, and I do his stuff on slow days. We trade retail to retail and lately we did a little check list. Just before we were done I decided to put my price list on it as well. Turns out to be a good thing. I leave one in a car no matter what I do. If it is just a wash, then the client gets a list of all of the things I did to his car. BUT he also gets a list of the other services I can provide. At the bottom is the total. Now this list is a flier, menu, check list and since I know some origami, it is also a little bunny rabbit (humor).
The detail customer also get this list and they learn I do just washes too.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 07:48AM
<HTML>Jim:

A few months ago I had the #2 spot on Google if you typed in "auto detailing in NJ." Now, I think I'm on page 2. Don't know what happened. But it's great to have because when I hand out a pamphlet to a potential customer they see the web address...they can log on and learn about me, what I do and see pictures.

I looked into the church bulletin since that represents a major portion of my target audience but they wanted a years contract upfront with payment and no test run for me, like a 3 month trial to see how it does.

I was going to do a 60 second radio commercial, where the station is located in Princeton. The station owns a pop station and Financial & Investing AM station and these 2 were in the package. Now the financial audience is my main customer. Most of my customers own their own business or are involved heavily in investing. BUT, I didn't do the commercial because I thought "Every time I hear commercial starting I change the station." I hate commercial on the radio. And I asked around (family, friends, neighbors,) and everyone else changes the station too.

While at the dealership, I was going to slip a pamphlet into the glove compartment when I delivered it but didn't know how well that would go legally.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 19, 2003 07:50AM
<HTML>Phil:

Thanks for the feedback on my website. I do try to make it as user friendly as possible and update it as often as I can.

Do you have a sample flier of your I can take a look at? Like in a pdf file?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 19, 2003 02:50PM
<HTML>Brian...I will send you an e-mail if thats ok, on how to improve your web listing, it will take us a bit off topic here so I'll send it later if thats ok.

I am not sure how this guy got to do that with this dealer, (putting his pamphlets in) . I only found out about it because someone traded a car purchased there at our dealership. I cant remember the exact wording but the deal was that for every new car purchased you would get a free wash and wax from this detailer after 4 weeks . I think the salesmen used it as a selling feature , and the detailer got to put one of his pamphlets in the "welcome to your new vehicle pack " .

I fully agree with you on the radio slot. Friend of mine who ran a photography business here did one and said it was a waste of money. You really have no way of tracking how sucessful radio slots are.

I am really intrested in this thread . In this town there is only one newspaper, so they charge what they want for advertising , you can get a lower price if you agree to a 6 week run , but it's still god awful expensive as they have no competition. Also as I said before, we have two yellow books to advertise in here , so advertise in both or just one ? I have no way of finding out which one is the most popular.

Jim.</HTML>
October 19, 2003 04:01PM
<HTML>Sorry Brian, I don't even know what a pdf file is but can assure you I do not have one. I cna tell you how it came about though. In short, I wanted a list to remind me what to do and a way to show my clients what I had done. Something to leave in the car to have a value percieved. I also needed a price sheet, so I decided to cross breed these two. There are three subjects, Professional wash package starting at $25 ( then the list of what I do for that fee) My detail Package, price and list again. Next to each item there is a check box, after each item is a blank line for me to place comments. At the bottom is a reminder for next appointment and a place for the total. Kinda simple but very effective. I have a folding business card that has a list inside of the major improvements I can make to a car, my number. All of my stuff is Blue and white (including my feet...got cooler today). I always do more than I told em I would but do not alway get a chance to tell em so, the list solves that problem for me.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 11:25PM
<HTML>AS A MOBILE DETAILER IN NEW JERSEY WE HAVE A LITTLE PAMPHLET CALLED THE CENSIBLE SHOPPER FOR ABOUT A 1/2 PAGE AD IT WILL COST YOU APPROX $250 A MONTH PRETTY EXPENSIVE BUT THE CALLS WILL COME. NOW WHEN I GET ON THE JOB I WILL SHOW UP APPROX 30 - 45 MINS EARLY, I SET UP 10X20 CANOPY ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET, I PARK THE CAR UNDERNEITH THEN I GO AROUND TO THE NEAR BY HOUSES WITH FLYERS AND MATERIAL, PEOPLE WILL COME AND SEE YOU WHAT YOU ARE DOING. IT IS A HUGE SHOW PEOPLE LOVE IT. THIS SUMMER I SPENT ALL OF AUGUST ON 1 STREET APPROX 20 HOUSES. MY POLISH AND WAX WITH A FULL INTERIOR GOES FOR $150 AND UP I TOOK $25 OFF EACH CAR, GIVE THEM A BLOCK DISCOUNT AND THEY WERE PILING ON THE CARS I DID 32 THAT MONTH ALONE 31 X $125 = $3875 IS NOT A BAD TAKE FOR 1 MONTH JUST ON DETAILING ALONE I ALSO POWER WASH SO I WILL ALWAYS OF CORSE DISCOUNT ( THATS WHAT I TELL THEM ) A HOUSE POWER WASH OR DECK OR JUST THROW A SMALL SIDE WALK IN FOR FREE JUST TO GET THE WORK. ANOTHER GREAT IDEA IS SEND A 10 OR $20 GIFT CERTIFICATE TO HOME DEPOT ( IF IT IS A GUY ) WALMART ( IF IT IS A GIRL ) OR A LOCAL RESTAURANT IF THEY ARE MARRIED COUPLE, TRUST ME THEY WILL STILL REFER YOU IF YOU KEEP DOING THAT AND WHAT DOES IT COST YOU $10 TO MAKE AN ADDITIONAL $150. PLUS YOU CAN WRITE THE 10 DOLLARS OFF AS A BUSSINESS EXPENSE BUT MOST DETAILING AS A MOBILE OPERATOR IS CASH AND CARRY ANYWAY, BUT I STILL WRITE IT OFF THE TOP OF MY COMMERCIAL WORK THAT I DO AT NIGHTS.</HTML>

PRECISION POWER WASHING &amp; AUTO DETAILING
October 27, 2003 02:12AM
<HTML>Rob:

Where in New Jersey are you? Looks like people are going to confuse us in the yellow pages.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 27, 2003 05:04AM
<HTML>I've joined a networking group called Local Business Network. I don't think there's any other states that have this yet, but you cn check out their site at [www.locbusnet.com].

This organization consists of a chapter in just about every city in S.E. Michigan. Once you join a chapter, any other type of similar business is blocked from joining your chapter. Each chapter meets for 1 hour 2X/month to give exchange referrals and discuss their businesses. Once you've joined a chapter, you can go around to any other chapter as a guest and do a brief presentation about your business.

Since I've joined this organization 2 weeks ago, I've already gotten 2 jobs out of it and several referrals that I'm following up on. Once you do a job for someone in the network and they like your work, business just starts coming to you from all over the place. I did a detail job Cherokee that belonged to the regional directos's fiance and they belong to a classic car club and are already starting to refer business to me.

I've also had several jobs referred to me by word of mouth from other satisfied customers. I think this is absolutely the best advertising there is. In fact, I even give my customers an incentive. I tell them that for every 5 customers they refer to me, I'll give them a free express detail on the car of their choice.

This seems to be working very well so far. I'm the only detailer/paint repair tech in the whole network, and I'm mobile. I'm quite confident that my business will take off because of this networking connection and I suggest that you look into joining a group of this type. BNI is another networking group that is available nationwide.

I also advertise in Val-Pak and Clips Coupon booklets. I've just started this last month and have gotten a few jobs from it. I'm going to run ads for several months and see how that goes. So far, it's paying for itself and I know that the longer I advertise, the more people will recognize the name and service and be more likely to call once I gain familiarity.</HTML>
October 27, 2003 05:52AM
<HTML>Rod:

I had an offer from my customer who is also a member of one of these groups. He's a private investigator and pretty much showed me what this whole network is about. I was skeptical at first but though about it and thought to myself, what can it hurt? Only thing I'm worried about with any type of advertising is taking too much work on where I can't handle it. But I need to get over that worry and hire people. Whats the worst that can happen? You know?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 27, 2003 11:18PM
<HTML>I know whay you mean, Brian. I suggest you give it a shot. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how quick new biz starts coming your way. And since most of the network members are professionals, they either own high end cars or have clients that do. Plus, if the other members use their vehicles to drive clients in, like real estate or sales people, they'll want to have a nice, clean image, and one of the most important parts of that is having a clean vehicle. It definitely plays a big role in the first impression.

Plus, once you join the network, you'll be eager to return the favor by giving referrals to your fellow members, so you'll be more apt to talk to people and be open to more opportunities to help your fellow members out and in the course of that, you'll surely tap into some new markets for yourself. It's definitely true that the more you give in networking, the more you'll receive.

The way I look at it is I want to expand my shop over this winter. I want to get it big enough where I've got some good quality people trained and on board by the time the spring/summer rush hits next year. I want to be in a position to immediately start maximizing my profits and earning my investments back. Plus, I want to have time to grow my mobile biz next year to, but I can't do that without someone running the shop in my absence 2-3 days/week. We'll see how it goes, but eventually, I'd like a large scale shop with 5-10 employees and 2-3 mobile techs. I'd like to spend more time at the shop rather than out on the road so I can oversee everything and have time to study ways of marketing and expanding my business.</HTML>
October 28, 2003 01:13AM
<HTML>Rod:

We're on the same wavelength. As long as you have a great managers who can be at these places when you're gone, you can do what you want (drive to different work locations to check up on the work, go to meetings with dealers for even more expansion, spend time with your family. Supervision is the key. Doing this, you can either jump on a car and help out or leave it in the hands of the manager. These are my plans.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login