Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tips for remving wax from crevices without scratching finish?

Posted by Duncan Carter 
<HTML>What are the different ways to remove wax without scratching the finish, I'd like to see what works the best for all of you.

Thanks,
Duncan</HTML>
Re: Tips for remving wax from crevices without scratching finish?
October 19, 2003 10:32PM
<HTML>Duncan, tried something new that seemed to work quite wll the other day, wrap a part of an old Micro Fiber cloth around a small brush and use this to scrub off the residue.

Jim.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 02:48AM
<HTML>Try a detailer's vent brush. Very soft bristles yet aggressive enough to remove wax between emblems, etc. Or a soft toothbrush. I never scratched yet with one.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 20, 2003 03:24AM
<HTML>One thing I was shown years ago by one of the oldtimers was to use the vent brush but instead of using it in a "brush" mode, use it like a stab mode. Hard to explain, tap the wax with the brush, then brush away lightly. For some reason it really makes a difference. Try it, you'll see what I mean. Once you get the feel, it is faster too.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:31AM
<HTML>Phil:

Great point I forgot to add. I know exactly what you mean and thats what I do too! Good call.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 24, 2003 10:18PM
<HTML>I have a little different aproach....fingernails....a little longer than your normal man would have..hehe...I can usually force my micro fiber towel into some tiny cracks and have yet to scratch a car yet...Of course i take a little ribing from family and friends, but if they knew how many times it saved me from looking for something else to do the same job they would understand. I have scratched paint with a tooth brush and would recomend wraping it with a micro fiber towel before using one. But from time to time i will use a (tooth brush) actaully what is commonly used for gun cleaning..It has one end that looks about like a toothbrush and the other end has one small row of bristles. that end will at least reduce the amount of surface that may get scratched...(wrap it as well)
hope that helps..</HTML>
October 25, 2003 12:43AM
<HTML>pmack:

What you speak of is called a detailer's brush! :-)</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 25, 2003 02:28AM
<HTML>brian

used them all the time in the military to clean my 45... should have saved a few..I wouldnt have to buy so many.</HTML>
October 25, 2003 03:58AM
<HTML>What branch were you in? I wanted to be a SEAL and almost went into the Navy but couldn't. Its a long story.

You gotta love all these little brushes though! My favorite re the vent brushes.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login