Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old Treesap/Pitch removal?

Posted by Brian Baur 
Old Treesap/Pitch removal?
October 20, 2003 12:47AM
<HTML>I am having a hard time with one customer's car removing really old dried, sunbaked, almost black tree sap. I tried my standard clay bar routine and bug/tar remover but am afraid to try any harsh chemicals on it. Does anyone suggest anything? Maybe Alcohol, diluted thinner carefully, or anything else? I don;t want to damage paint, but that sap will damage it the longer it stays on there and I'm afraid to buff it off as I would risk hurting surrounding paint.... I was able to remove 50% of the sap, and what I got off was the most fresh, lighter in color, so dont know if it just got neglected too much or what.....It was a recent purchase for her and who knows what the prev owner did (if anything) to take care of the paint. Thanks for yo time</HTML>
Re: Old Treesap/Pitch removal?
October 20, 2003 12:59AM
<HTML>Brian, we have had some good results using 3M's General Purpose Adhesive remover. It is also good for removing wax, paint sealant, tar etc.

Jim.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 01:00AM
<HTML>You have three choices:

1. Tree Sap Remover from a detail chemical supplier

2. Denatured alcohol

3. Turpentine - this works on conifer sap as that is what turpentine is made from I am told.

Let us know which one works

bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 20, 2003 02:40AM
<HTML>if you cant find a suplier for a treesap remover, you can go to a hardware store and pick up a product called "oops"..works great for treesap. There may be damage to the paint already, especially if its white.</HTML>
October 20, 2003 03:34AM
<HTML>For sap, tar and unforgivable bugs, I love to use TARminator (www.tarminator.com) by Stoner. A couple applications should do the trick. Mineral spirits could also help.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 20, 2003 04:18AM
<HTML>What is "OOPS" formulated to do? Is it stated on the can as "safe for automotive paints?"

I would not use anything that is not formulated specifically for a use unless you test carefully before using. In any case, you can find products specifically designed to remove tree sap. Why take a chance on damaging the paint?

Regards
bud abraham</HTML>

buda
October 21, 2003 04:58AM
<HTML>Ive used goof off on cars at my parent's request... long ago, before I really learned alot about how delicate the paint is so I dont think oops will be any different... Im gonna try trupentine next as Ive already tried bug and tar remover this stuff has been baked on for too long I think. My mother has some at her house as she is a decorative painter. Ill probably try alcohol after that if it doesnt work, or should I try the alcohol first, as it is milder? It is deciduous sap i think, I know the neighborhood it was parked in, very few conifers (Northwest PDX)

PS Thank you all for your suggestions, I didn't know I would get this kind of response. I am very passionate about cars and I know alot mechanically, and have NEVER taken my car to a car wash, but I need to learn some professional tricks for the more difficult situations. I hope to have one of the best quality one man/one car/one day detailing operations in portland soon..

PPS I am just starting out and have to depend on client water/power for mobile operations and cannot drain into storm drain, dry well, or groundwater so I hope to make enough money for a trailer, two water tanks, generator, press washer, and vacuum/reclamation boom soon..... If anyone has any economical suggestions for these please let me know. THX.</HTML>
October 24, 2003 03:47AM
<HTML>this is how its advertised...

OOPS! Multi-Purpose Remover is the fast-working paint and project cleanup essential. Removes dried latex paint, tar, ballpoint pen ink, permanent marker, gum, adhesive residue, oil, grease, lipstick and much more. OOPS! can be used on carpet, vinyl, wood paneling, woodwork, furniture, shoes, metal and glass surfaces, Formica® and more. Properly used, OOPS! Multi-Purpose Remover has little or no effect on oil-based paints, varnishes, lacquers and shellacs.

it contains ethel alcholo and naptha.. alcholo being the most pedominate.

I recomend using a product designed for tree sap removal, but I have been in situations where it wasnt availiable. The latest time was about a year ago when a customer brought their car to me specifically concerned with tree sap removal. I planned ahead and bought a gallon of the latest greatest formula. They were out of the product i was using and said something about a new EPA regulation forbiding the use of a product that it contained. (I really dont know) . When it came time to use it I found i got a gallon of totally worthless tree sap remover. Being Saturday my suplier was out enjoying the profits from the "worthless tree sap remover" hehe. So you go with what you know. Read the label and use cautiously. It is a product I had used years ago so I was familiar with what it would do.

Heres the way I use it. (after testing somewhere inconspicious).

wearing a glove wrap a finger with a rag.
dip into product
placing fingertip on spot of tree sap agitate a little.
once the outer surface is disolved the rest goes really quick.
after the tree sap is gone
remove finger
the product evaporates very fast. (probably within a second for that small amount)

with it working so quickly and that technique the actual time the paint is exposed is pretty short.</HTML>
October 24, 2003 04:16AM
<HTML>Naptha isn't bad I wouldn't think. It's in my GS-1 Color Restorer car polish.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 24, 2003 11:51PM
<HTML>What i do, if i have to, Is try to be familiar with what goes in the product I normally use. Which is a good thing to do. being familar with any risk to health, environment, and if its going to explode in my face. And know where i can find it elsewhere. Having knowledge of what others have used with sucess helps too. I still error on the safe side with any new product weather its made for automotive use or not. Some may not agree with the subsitution but I dont make it a habit. Tree sap remover is about the only place i have to subsitute.
take care</HTML>
October 25, 2003 12:11AM
<HTML>pmack:

As long as you protect yourself and read the MSDS thoroughly then I wouldn't worry about these dangers...as long as you follow directions.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 25, 2003 01:24AM
<HTML>I use New car prep from Valugard. www.autoint.com. I have soaked rags and left on the hood, top, and trunklid of vehicles ALL NIGHT, with NO clearcoat damage, and the sap wipes right off.</HTML>
October 25, 2003 02:24AM
<HTML>bumper

Im not familiar with the product or its contents so I cant give a reasonable evaluation to that process. So Im going to go with my gut feeling.
For me I prefer to use a product that I feel comfortable will do the job in the shortest possible time and be reasonably safe. I am cautious about exposing the paint to anything (no mater how safe or mild) for long durations. Mainly because of the fear of not realizing the damage till months or years go by. Especially if its something that is done with some frequency. My advice is get rid of the trees. just dont park to close..if you think tree sap is hard to deal with, try removing a branch...

food for thought
pmack</HTML>
October 25, 2003 08:28PM
<HTML>Hey Pmack, This stuff will loosen the sap in 15 minutes. Not as fast as laquer thinner, but no harm to the finish either. I soaked all night, due to a sunroof that had been duct taped over, in addition to a whole lot of sap. Thanks for the food.</HTML>
October 25, 2003 10:06PM
<HTML>Bumpers:

You process might work, but you should not have to "soak" the tree sap with anything overnight. The products I have seen and used out in the market place work within a few minutes.

Tree sap remover; alcohol; turpentine.

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login