Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dried On Wax

Posted by Matt Montgomery 
Dried On Wax
June 17, 2004 05:02PM
<HTML>I had someone wax my SUV and when I got it back the must have left the wax on too long because now it will not come off. And it isn't just on the body of the car. It is on the plastic parts as well such as the bumper, the trim above the wheel wells, the door handles. Please help me get this off. If anyone can help please email me at mmontgomery@sussexcounty.net or djballistic@verizon.net - this problem has been going on for some time now and I would like to see what I have to do to get it off. I have also seen a cleaner wax product in wal-mart now that is quite expensive but it seems like it's pretty good - i don't know if that would work or not though. Please help!</HTML>
Re: Dried On Wax
June 17, 2004 10:58PM
<HTML>Matt,

Why haven't you taken it back to the detailing who messed it up in the first place? If you must do it yourself and you are not a detailer, then I would suggest the least aggressive way and that is with a clay bar and lubricant. It will take time but your chances are good in removing it from the body of the vehicle. As for the plastic parts you may want to try regular windex. Of course, you'll need to treat the plastic trim once the wax is removed.

Good luck!</HTML>
June 17, 2004 11:53PM
<HTML>You need another detailer!

A professional would not leave that wax in there and a true professional would remove it if it was left by another hack detailer.

Left over wax on your paint should come off with car soap and if left in your textured trim or molding use a soft toothbrush and some peanut butter. Scrub a small amount of peanut butter into the trim and then wipe with a towel. Obviously you want to use the creamy type and not the crunchy type.

Toothpiicks and and air compressor can also be a big help in getting it out of the nooks and crannies.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
June 18, 2004 05:39AM
<HTML>Anthony,

That's very interesting. What's in peanut butter that will remove it? Not doubting one bit, just really curious.

I use a toothbrush and all-purpose cleaner.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 18, 2004 11:05AM
<HTML>Brian

It's the oil in PB. I was thinking of trying peanut oil that you cook with to remove wax from plastic trim</HTML>
June 18, 2004 03:34PM
<HTML>Yep..it's not so much the peanut butter as it is the oil.

Some old time detailers, at least a few I talked with at various car shows, used to use pure peanut oil to clean their door panels and dashes. Never tried that BUT I do know that peanut oil does a nice job on trim.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login