Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Removing Oxidation

Posted by New Again 
Removing Oxidation
July 07, 2004 11:09AM
<HTML>After oxidation has been removed from a vehicle painted surface. Do the oxidation process stop? or Is it just being slowed down on the vehicles paint.</HTML>
Re: Removing Oxidation
July 07, 2004 01:43PM
<HTML>Once a finish has been damaged by oxidation it is less durable than it was before.

Paint is some what porous. After it has been neglected it gets even more porous. You can buff off the dead paint and polish and slick it all up but it is still severely porous and will fail quicker than it would have if it was cared for properly from the beginning.

I tell my clients that their cars paint is like a skunk. Skunks smell bad but keep it perfumed and it will be OK. Same with their restored paint keep it waxed and polished and it will be OK.

Cars now days don't oxidize. If someone calls you because their newer cars paint has faded it is usually too late to help it.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: Removing Oxidation
July 07, 2004 01:49PM
<HTML>New Again:

Clear coat paint finishes do not oxidize in the traditional sense of the word, that is, turn a red car pink and hazy and when you buff the surface you get red all over the pad.

That is one of the main reasons for the development of clear coats, that they would not oxidize. The pigment (color) in the paint is protected by the coat of clear polyurethane paint.

A clear will dull; get scratched; suffer from acid rain or insect residue damage (etching), but it will not oxidize in the technical sense of the word as do single stage paints.

On a single stage paint that has oxidized, you will remover a layer of the paint when you buff the oxidation off. However, like it was before the first oxidation and buffing, the pigment is still exposed to the sun's UV rays and the oxidation process will begin again. However, as far as I know, your buffing the paint has nothing to do with it oxidizing again. It oxidizes because the pigment is exposed to UV rays.

Regards
bud abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login