Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

just painted?

Posted by Jorge Hernandez 
just painted?
July 08, 2004 02:01AM
<HTML>Hows everybody?
My question is can a car that has just been painted be wax/buffed or neither.Do you have to wait or not? As before thank you very much for your time.

Jorge</HTML>
Re: just painted?
July 08, 2004 03:08AM
<HTML>Jorge,
Cars that have just been painted shouldn't be waxed or polished for at least 30 days. Most recently painted surfaces have already been colorsanded and buffed and then glazed to achieve a flat glossy appeaarance.
As a professional, I would recommend that you wait just to make sure that the paint has completely cured. after that, use a high quality carnuba wax, or polymer polish to keep that shine looking its best.</HTML>

Dennis C. Whitnall
Industrial Automotive, Inc.
July 08, 2004 05:02AM
<HTML>Jorge,

You can use a glaze which won't seal the paint -- just shine it up. Wait the 30 days to protect it. Even 2 months without a wax or sealant won't hurt, although us detailers hate seeing a "naked" finish.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 08, 2004 02:28PM
<HTML>Jorge

To add to what has already been said in a different way.

You can wet/dry sand or cut with a compound a new paint as soon as it cools down.

You can polish or swirl remove in about 18 hours.

In either case the product should have no silicones or waxes in it that will seal the paint. This will trap the solvents that are in the paint.

You must wait 60 to 90 days for the paint to loose all solvents and then you can wax or seal.

Be sure that for either of the steps mentioned you use "BodyShop Safe" compounds and "glazes." This is the technical name of a silicone and wax free swirl remover/polish.

Hope that helps.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 08, 2004 06:37PM
<HTML>Hey Jorge, listen to Bud as what he says is what we do at a Paint/Body Shop I'm working at,doing the Water Sanding and Buffing. When we sell a detail with the repair work, then have the customer to return back in 90-120 days to wash and install a coat of Sealant. But not until the paint has cured so to speak. Our paint booth is totaly climate controlled,and I think heat added after the clear goes on. Which we talked about cutting back to 60 days for the return for sealant....:-) Brandy!</HTML>
July 08, 2004 08:05PM
<HTML>Hey guys thanks alot!
Once again for your time & advice.
The car had just the fenders painted.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login