Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cleaning Convertible Tops

Posted by Gary Kimbler 
Cleaning Convertible Tops
July 15, 2004 11:54PM
<HTML>Can anyone advise me on the best product to use to clean fabric type convertible tops ?
Thanks</HTML>
Re: Cleaning Convertible Tops
July 15, 2004 11:59PM
<HTML>Lot of great products available, just can not recommend using very caustic products, engine degreasers, etc.

The key is to have the top really wet with water, allow it soak with plain water for a while.

Then, mist the top with a safe, perferably "non-butyl" component fabric or all purpose cleaner, and keep it wet, don't do this outside, the water and the product need time to dwell (set) and break down the soil, etc.

A good brush is the real key!

You need one that has stiff, small bristles, that do not "fold under" when agitating the top material.

We recommend the Flo-Pac velour spotting brush, with the black bristles and persimmion wood handle, great for all tops, vinyl or cloth, plus close grain interior vinyl parts, velour seats, etc.

If you wish to know about this type of brush, give me a call, 800-543-7156, perhaps some distributor around your area has them in stock.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Gus
July 16, 2004 07:20PM
<HTML>The stains I find on the few tops we do are grease stains that "bleed" through from the underside when the top is stowed "down". I havent tried
that procedure, however and I am curious if you think that procedure will help in the grease stain situation. Most of our soft tops are the "Elipse Spyder" and "Volvo C70" series. The Volvo's have more problems with the staining than the Mitsu's oddly enough.

I would also welcome any other ideas... other than dyeing it... heh.

Goose.</HTML>
July 17, 2004 12:58AM
<HTML>Oh, now you provide some diagonistic information.

Is the "grease" and you are sure it is "grease", right, coming from the top mechanisim?

Where is the "grease", if that is what it is, coming from?

If really a hydrocarbon based stain, then the stain should first be "broken" with a safety solvent.

Not lacquer thinner, not solvents with xylene, but an alifatic and/or aromatic blend solvent.

Clean at the source, top or bottom of the fabric, then move to the all purpose cleaner as presented earlier.</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login