Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

water spots

Posted by deadhead 
water spots
July 18, 2004 12:35AM
<HTML>i just stumbled upon this site and i'm glad it's here. can someone tell me a good way to get rid of hard water spots. i just got a new ram and i'd like to do the detailing myself.</HTML>
Re: water spots
July 18, 2004 03:17AM
<HTML>Did you already try getting them out or was the truck already waxed but was under a lawn sprinkler? I park my Jeep on the street sometimes and after the automatic sprinklers come on and if the sun is still out, I'll have water spots -- but the come off from just a wash. But I do have Diamond Plus on my Jeep so it's well protected.

Try diluted distilled vinegar (10:1) Thats what I use on a boat's glass to dissolve the salt crystals and water spots.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
July 18, 2004 01:24PM
<HTML>i haven't used anything to try to get them out other than washing. the truck just rolled off the assembly line 3 months ago and i've read that i should hold off on any wax for as long as 90 days to allow the paint to fully cure. the spots are over a month old. i've washed the truck 3 times since and that's not enough to remove them. is diluted distilled vinegar the way to go?</HTML>
July 18, 2004 02:56PM
<HTML>You want to remove the water spots ASAP to keep them from etching into the paint...,
I also recommend using Brian's technique..., remeving them soon could make the difference in just adding a protectant or having to wet sand...,

Hurrysmiling smiley
(let us know how it turns out)</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 18, 2004 04:19PM
<HTML>Wayne, once again the "old wive's tales" jump up and do damage.

He bought into the old information regarding applying a protectant to OEM paint.

If it was just refinished, even then, one can apply a wax or sealant on today's refinish within no more than 30 days.

Now, he has a real problem, most likely a dark color basecoat, which generates very high surface temps.

I would say he has a 50/50 chance of getting them off, most likely going to require some agressive compounding/polishing and that may not really do it.

Then again, they might come off easily with the right chemical wash.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 18, 2004 06:21PM
<HTML>I totally agree!!

90% or more of the time, by the time the car reachs the lot, sits there and you finally get it home, the paint is fully cured, unlike the "older paint systems", the new systems are chemically activated and do not depend as much on "time" to cure.

I agree..., LOTS of "old school" information floating aroundsmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 21, 2004 04:41AM
<HTML>First off, the dealer you got your truck from should have removed them and detailed it before you picked it up. but since you want 2 do it - a few ways you can go. lite spots, use a body clay and a wax job works for me often. heavy spots, a water spot remover - a lot can go wrong 4 one not knowing how 2 use correctly, last an old cut and buff</HTML>
July 22, 2004 12:31AM
<HTML>there weren't any spots when i got it from the dealer. thanks to everyone who replied. i spoke to a local fireman and he told me about a product they were buying from a parts store to use on the fire trucks. i got some and it worked great with no effort at all. the company is called hawaiian island shine and the product is called, simply enough, water spot remover. i rubbed a drop on the spots for 1 minute, washed the hell out of the area and dried and it couldn't look better.

www.hawaiianislandshine.com</HTML>
July 22, 2004 01:06AM
<HTML>I am sure it is a good product, however, I do suggest that since this is a company no one knows anything about, you do this.

Contact the company and request an MSDS and read it carefully.

It may contains some components that are not very nice, either to you or the vehicle's paint.

Things like, hydrofluric acid, sodium metacilacate, sodium hydroxide, butyl cellosolve, tri-sodium phosphates, etc.

It may appear to be a quick fix, however, the paint finish on a "fire truck" is an "expoxy", not the same high solid/low solvent paint systems used on a consumer's new or used car.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 22, 2004 03:08AM
<HTML>Wayne:

Can you explain to me how a water spot etches into the paint?

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
July 22, 2004 03:49AM
<HTML>Just Wayne or can I answer?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login