Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Plastic bumpers and Peanut butter...

Posted by Dan loves tea 
Plastic bumpers and Peanut butter...
July 20, 2004 09:45AM
<HTML>Why would people clean their black plastic bumpers with peanut butter?

I'm told that it works a treat by dozens of car enthusiasts. I have suggested that maybe this is because peanut butter is oily and so leavs a sheen.

Anyway, I have scoffed at the idea, but now I am told that this advice is being given ot by an expert, a chemist from the automotive industry no less...

Can anybody see why peanut butter would work and be better than the dozens of commercially availabe products on the market? Wha is the chemistry behind this?</HTML>
Re: Plastic bumpers and Peanut butter...
July 20, 2004 01:11PM
<HTML>Maybe acidic,abrasive,and oily too for lubrication???.... Gives me an idea for my new shop name... Peter Pan Detailers!....Ha,Ha,Ha,.....:-) Brandy !</HTML>
July 21, 2004 01:55AM
<HTML>The "question" is, this.

Did the solvent system of the "wax/sealant" attack the coating of the trim?

Is what most may be observing is an "oil film" that temporarily covers up the permanent stain?

Or is it really gone?

Only one way to find out, after the use of any "oil" clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, wipe off with a clean towel, and wait!!!

Wait at least 30 minutes and then look at it, if it is truly gone, great!!

Here is how it works, peanut butter contains a very mild solvent oil, and it will slowly and safely remove, desolve some wax deposits.

But, you don't really know unless you do the "test" as I stated.

Enthusists are wonderful people, but for the most part, don't have a clue, they love "instant gratification",and then "slather" on some "super-duper" boutique dressing, sit back, pat themselves on the back and say, "I AM A SUPER DETAILER, I AM THE GREATEST, WHAT I DID WORKS, THE PRO'S ARE STUPID".

Ok, great, now when they wake up and see the real results, make some money off them.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
July 21, 2004 08:27AM
<HTML>LOL!!!

Just make sure to use the creamy peanut butter..., you don't want to use crunchysmiling smiley</HTML>

&quot;The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.&quot;

www.waynestowels.com
July 22, 2004 12:08AM
<HTML>Wayne,

Sometimes, Tim and I are guilty of taking a "ho-hum" approach to some issues that we are asked to deal with, in order to aid some engineers at the car manufacturers, due to our "been there, done that", "you are boring me" sort of thinking.

This "GM cladding" issue is an example, we just assumed some things.

But, it would not "go away" and the emails kept coming, the phone kept ringing, and then, then, then, another "concern" was thrown in our laps.

We had to back off, stop thinking in the "been there, done that" mode and use our experience and logic, to address what our "main" customers were requiring of our Technical Center.

After some very intense meeting, brain storming sessions, we got the picture.

The issues that we were "tossing aside" as "simple-you over educated, computer idiots", required us to get our act together.

I just put this up, so others might read and think about how often they do the same simple thing that we did, be "assholes" and not use "logic", take the time to "take care of the customer", sort of thing.

You got picked to get this, so don't take it personal.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login