Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Road Paint

Posted by Gus 
Gus
Road Paint
August 06, 2004 12:40PM
<HTML>I'm sure alot of you guyz have run into this problem. Here in Minnesota they go extra crazy it seems since we have 6 months of winter. Anyway - I have had about 3 cars in the last 60 days where the driver ran over fresh road paint, then of course allowed it to harden/cure. Nasty stuff. In one case the droplets were "fine" enough between fingernail and plastic razor blade with some cleanup with minieral spirits some cleanup it looked acceptable. The most recent one, the droplets are so big you would need superman's fingernails.

What other kinds of techniques have you guyz used? Can one of our resident chemists let us know of something to emulsify it? (by the way for what we are doing here mostly recon/light customer - I was able to either undercoat or paint the wheel wells (depending on the car) but I am referring to white or yellow road paint on the doors/body clad mouldings, two-tone, etc...)

A friend at a body-shop told me they use a real razor blade and if they damage the paint - they paint it. Not very helpful, hoping there a better way.

Thanks

Goose.</HTML>
Re: Road Paint
August 06, 2004 01:04PM
<HTML>Do a search here on that same subject and there you find your answer fro Mr.Jim Hammil</HTML>
Gus
August 06, 2004 01:52PM
<HTML>Sorry - should have done the search prior (my bad). I do have 3m adhesive remover... followed the procedure (I dont have GPAR tho..) Adhesive remover didn't cut it... Is it possible different states have different formulas?

Could the other one been from a parking lot and not something by the state/county? I have both white and yellow samples. Ill keep working at it... Thanks for the search reminder too.. heh.. smiling smiley

Goose.</HTML>
August 06, 2004 03:58PM
<HTML> Goose: Ketch says lacquer thinner can damage clearcoats but if all else fails, you could, I figure, use it to remove the road paint and rinse like crazy.
If the clearcoat gets hazy or something, buffing might restore the appearance. You could test it on a small area to minimize damage ( or maybe in a wheel well before you paint or undercoat ).</HTML>
August 06, 2004 06:13PM
<HTML>If experiences, use a plastic tar/paint scraper (Bud sells these) and mineral spirits. It's all in the dwell.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
August 07, 2004 12:46PM
<HTML>I posted a solution for this a while back on Autopia. I can't recall the website off hand but the name of the product is "paint overspray wipes" by Five Star Products (Auto Body Brands). These things go through road paint like a hot knife through butter with no damage to the paint or plastic. A real life (and time) saver.</HTML>

August 07, 2004 03:15PM
<HTML>The most analytical approach is to determine what kind of paint was used. Either water-based or oil based. Most government authorities use a water-based paint because it is cheaper.

Next, is to find out from a paint company that manufacturers road paint what they would recommend to remove it from automotive paint finishes without damaging the auto paint.

Or, a short cut, safeway is to use clay.

There are also some products on the market that remove latex (water based paint from surfaces) check those out.

For the record, laquer thinner is good for remove laquer paint and mineral spirits is a solvent, not a paint thinner. Not sure these would have any effect on water base paint.

I used to represent a road paint company in New Jersey called Prismo, but I think they might have changed their name. But you could go on line to www.google.com and click in "Road Paint Manufacturers" and I am sure you will find numerous companies that you can contact for solutions.

Professional detailing involves a detailer using the multitude of resources to find solutions to problems.

Is someone an expert because they know a great deal about a subject??? Not really, it is knowing where to find the information. With the internet any person can become an expert in a few short minutes. It just takes alittle effort and some time.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login