Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Extractor Update

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Extractor Update
September 08, 2004 04:30AM
<HTML>Well I finally picked up my fixed extractor after a month and a half of waiting for Mytee to approve of the new heating element and for repairs.

One thing I'm concerned about though -- and was wondering if anyone ever experienced this. The shop that fixed it said the brass inlet (for the solution from the heater) will get really hot now -- he said it turned red hot, literally orange. When I went to use it, the opump and heater worked beautifully but the water is coming out boiling -- literally. This machine is now a steamer.

Maybe they put a higher temp heater in there? Thoughts?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Extractor Update
September 08, 2004 05:44PM
<HTML>Brian, sounds like they may have bypassed wired the temperature controller. Thus I mean the heating element stays on all of the time. I know that you won't want to,but take the damn thing back a demand your monies back. Enough is enough............... Brandy !
P.S. I'd poll Jim Hamill, as what unit to buy, as it seems like he's had experience with several......................</HTML>
September 09, 2004 12:36AM
<HTML>I alreay know what unit I'm getting next. Was thinking Diamond Luster or one of thos super-huge units.

The guy at the repair shop told me outright that the Mytee Lite units are garbage and surprised they're still being sold. He also said the heater went because the unit was run dry -- but that was because the pump went. I used it today and the water came out piping hot and above boiling (a lot of steam) but did those carpets come out beautiful! Either the super-heat or the extractor shampoo I'm using now.

The castor wheels are perfectly in place now as well as the solution hold-down strap but did notice the wheel is leaking extractor shampoo/water where they remounted the wheel. I can fix that myself.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

September 09, 2004 12:40AM
<HTML>hey cool a portable nuke steamer thing you might have to watch out for on runing it that hot is it might discolor some lighter carpets</HTML>
September 09, 2004 12:44AM
<HTML>I was thinking that or also may run into the problem of melting some thin plastic/vinyl?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

September 09, 2004 10:00PM
<HTML>Brian, there ain't know way, if the damn piece of crap is right, should it get that hot..... No Way Period. Its got to be, as i said, wired wrong,or a bad Temp controller. If it is truly steam, I know they say it will get the solution to 210 degs on some models,and this one may be one of those that does. 210 degrees will give off alot of water vapor cloud, especially if the atmosphere is cool,thus giving the apperance of steam. But if the nozzle is shooting out extremly hard and more vapor than water, you got some problems. So be careful Please!!!!!!!!!!!!....:-) Brandy !</HTML>
September 10, 2004 01:16AM
<HTML>This puppy steams like a madman. The humidiy here in Jersey was disgusting and temp hit about 87. I still have about another 2 1/2 months left of warranty so hopefully it breaks down again before that so I can get a rejob for free or put a claim into the consumer protection agency (?) and get my money back.

Will probably do a trade in with Bud for credit towards a larger, more better unit and someone who actually cares about customer service.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

September 10, 2004 02:59AM
<HTML> Brian : Even if it goes out of warranty, you may have legal protection under some consumer law but you are right to try to resolve this soon.
If you send the manufacturer's president a printout of your postings here, I'll bet he will be happy to buy back the unit and shut you up.
Doug</HTML>
September 10, 2004 05:12AM
<HTML>Thanks for the info. I will call Mytee tomorrow and ask to speak with the president. If they say he's on another line or in a meeting or some other excuse, I'll say "I'll wait."

Do you know what consumer law there is? I know the FTC doesn't investigate individual claims but notates against the company. It's not Mytee fault (well they made the lemon), it's more Rightlooks for not exchanging this lemon.

What I intended on doing was shipping it back to the supplier and then calling my credit card company and demanding a chargeback. onder if that's legal? If it was fraudulant then it's illegal but I have many witnesses and such that will back me up knowing it's a lemon -- the repair man at the janitorial shop for one and the counter person at Fed-Ex for another. Well the Fed-Ex guy heard my bitching.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

September 10, 2004 01:04PM
<HTML>Man that sucks. That's why I am getting rid of these portable extractors altogether. My new system will be a wet/dry central vacuum system that has in-line water heaters to keep the water hot as it travels to the car from the water heater. I have the central vaccum already but can't hook it up right now because the electrical at my shop is a huge POS and needs to be upgraded before I can do anything with it. The best part is the central vacuum empties itself automatically into my water collector so you never have to stop working and empty it! You simply check it daily and clean it as necessary and change the brushes as needed and it should work for years. Each one of the vacuums will run at least 2 drops as well.</HTML>

September 10, 2004 01:51PM
<HTML>Scott, how about sharing what type off unit that you are installing,as I have a central vac unit at my home shop,and this idea you have, sounds extremly good to me. Thus, it all being central vac and extractor set up. I like that idea. I don't like portable equipment....Period...Brandy !</HTML>
September 10, 2004 04:41PM
<HTML>Brian : Laws differ from state to state so I don't know what laws protect you. Generally, there is an " implied warranty of merchantability ", which means a product must at least do what it is claimed to do. That may apply to an extractor that won't work for any period of time without failing.
There was a case on www.thetroubleshooter.com in which a woman bought a computer from a big box retailer, who gave her little help when it broke. She wrote to one of the company owners, who was so upset at the way she was treated that he sent her a whole new computer immediately.
The credit card charge-back sounds good to me. Whether strictly legal or not, I doubt the company would try to waste time suing you .
Doug</HTML>
September 10, 2004 10:57PM
<HTML>hi brian, have not checked in for a while last time i did you were sending your extractor for repairs, i have the same problem ,also bought from rightlook my extractor pump died and i got it covered under the warranty,it is working fine right now ,i keep my fingers crossed,the repair guy told me if it gets to hot the seals around the heater element will wear down causing leaks and the heater to burn out and to fill it with lukewarm water and not to leave the heater on all day;it doesnt sound right that yours is so steaming hot it wont last that way,sounds like the repair wasnt right, these mytee extractors are mighty pains in the butt,</HTML>
September 16, 2004 04:45AM
<HTML>Brian:

If you have to wait that long and hard to get satisfaction just move on. As my tech told you we will take the unit in trade and get you a system that works and, of course, give you service. We stand behind what we sell.

Give me a call and we can move forward on this.

Dont waste time bitching, that is negative energy, keep it positive, just move on.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 16, 2004 10:36AM
<HTML> That,s why i have a ninja, the worlds number one portable extractor..... never had a problem ever in 8 years and the service is exellent if you ever need it that is( had my 2 stage motors replaced with 3 stage motors 3 years ago).. we can,t use mytees up here as we on a 15 amp power as opposed to the usa 20 amp that the mytee uses. I also use a portable heat exchanger called the heater mate that has given me no problems either. The central vacs are no match for a ninjas power 185 lift

Doug Hunter
Pro Mobile Details
416-523-WASH</HTML>
September 16, 2004 12:31PM
<HTML>what is a portable heat exchanger, a water heater on the outside?</HTML>
September 17, 2004 11:59AM
<HTML>Yes exactly, mine is made by esteem which makes the ninja here in canada but there are others like the hot shot etc as well. They work well and don,t cost as much as a inside heater that was not installed at the time of purchase</HTML>
September 17, 2004 12:18PM
<HTML>The central vacuum system I have is at:

[www.drainvac.com]

It is also important important to consider all the specifications of the vacuum motors, water lift, air watts and cfm. My central vacuum has 160 for water lift but very high ratings for air watts and cfm.</HTML>

Central Vacuum/Extractor
September 17, 2004 02:50PM
<HTML>Just a couple of thoughts and considerations. When you say "central vacuum" in the carwash industry you are talking about a vacuum system that is powerful enough to handle multiple hoses at the same time.

The central vacuums used in homes is not a good choice for a detailer for two reasons:

1. They handle only one hose at a time

2. They cannot handle moisture (usually)

Commercial central vacuums are available in 5HP; 7.5HP; 10HP; 15HP; 20HP and 25HP typically.

For detail shops we do not recommend less than a 10HP and normally a 15HP for a larger shop.

That means you can operate 4 to 6 hoses at the exact same time. If you will not be using them all at the same time you can run at least 6 to 10 hoses with a 10HP or 15HP.

MAKE IT AN EXTRACTOR

Best of all with a few attachments you can make a central vacuum an extractor. That is, you can have an extractor hose with every vacuum hose. All it takes is an automatic dilution and dispensing system for extractor shampoo in the backroom; an extractor hose, nozzle and nozzle hanger in each bay and a heater at the hose to heat the solution.

You should probably also have a moisture separator to take out the water before it gets back to the vacuum. These cost $1195. The vacuum manufactures recommend them, but I know locations that have operated without them for over 15 years and did no harm to the vacuum. That is your choice.

If you can afford a central vacuum (typically a 10HP vacuum will run $4150 plus freight and installation) then you should also convert it to an extractor.

Hope that provides some incite into central vacuums and extractors

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Beating Up on MYTEE
September 18, 2004 04:09AM
<HTML>Brian:

It just dawned on me that all the while you have been beating up on MyTee for the problems you have had with your extractor, you have been terribly unfair.

Why?

Who did you buy the extractor from? RIGHT LOOK.

You were a customer of RIGHTLOOK and it was their responsibility to make things right for you. What a cop out to blame their supplier, and not take care of you. If you had been our customer I would have replaced the unit after the continual problem and taken up the problem with MYTEE.

Why don't you pick on RIGHT LOOK who sold you the machine in the first place and make them right things for you?

We sell another company's OZONE Generator. If something goes wrong I do not refer my customer to the company we take full responsibility for anything that is wrong with the OZONE Generator and then take it up with the company.

Keep in mind that manufacturing is not a perfect science and you will get dogs from time to time.

But the responsiblity to fix the dog is the distributor or the seller.

Why did you not lean on RIGHTLOOK. Did they convince you that it was MYTEE that was the problem? How convenient for them, especially if you believed it.

I have never had a problem in any dealings I have had with MYTEE. They have always corrected any problems right away.

Just interested in knowing the details of your situation.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login