Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

cement

Posted by Larry O'Brien 
cement
September 10, 2004 01:35PM
<HTML>
Hi guys
Can anyone give me an idea of how to get cement off of a vehicle's paint.Some spots are small and some larger. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Larry</HTML>
Re: cement
September 10, 2004 01:46PM
<HTML>Larry, have you ever used Acid?? If not read up on all of the safety factors,and then get your self some Hydrochloric acid. Be sure to watch your dilutions rates. You can start with 20 parts water and 1 part acid,as thats what I've used in the past to clean dried mortor off brick and block. If its dried /cured cement you may have to drop to 16 parts water 1 part acid. Thus making the solution stronger. " JUST" be careful, and remember, when blending, to put water into the container first, and then the Acid. Reverse order will cause an eruption. Be sure to use all necessary safety equipment..... No Shorts cuts here... Period. Have a charged water hose handy for flushing.................... Good luck...................:-) Brandy !</HTML>
September 10, 2004 02:16PM
<HTML>Muratic acid, be careful on paint, wear protection</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
September 10, 2004 03:06PM
<HTML>Just read about this on another forum
[www.websitetoolbox.com];
September 10, 2004 03:34PM
<HTML>For years, being a supplier to a large company that does over 25,000 vehicles a year for insurance companies, port ops, etc, have provided a safe method.

It is not a 'fast" method, and like anything is not always 100% successful, but has proven to be effective most of the time, with out employee or vehicle concerns of negative effects.

This works on fairly fresh deposits, of no more than 30 days from time of exporsure.

It is simply a matter of mixing our "A" product correctly, having the vehicles in a shaded areas, so as to allow proper dwell time, not allowing the "A" product to dry, and very mild agitation, following a 5 to 7 minute dwell time.

Will this work for you or others?

Don't know, but at least we have a fairly successful track record to date.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 10, 2004 04:03PM
<HTML> Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd first try a clay bar. If the finish had wax on it before the cement got there, it may not be stuck on well and could possibly be scraped off with plastic ( any scratches would have to be buffed out ).
Doug</HTML>
September 10, 2004 04:09PM
<HTML>The amount of cutting and polishing following the use of clay would be very labor intensive.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 10, 2004 11:33PM
<HTML>We're talking about dried cement on rocker panels, wheel wells....??

Fresh or baked-on as ketch says (30 days); methods would vary. F-350 monster used for site-work, or bad luck for a nice 5-series?

If the former, I would not hesitate to be aggresive with muracic.

The 5-series?,....

That's why ya'll rock. Always picking up something new!

Regards,

Ft. Myers, Ivan's next *NOT* target.</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
September 11, 2004 12:40AM
<HTML>White vinegar and the trusty old Vaporsteam steam machine "BMW"...when doing a ton of dealer cars"Work trucks" a vaporsteam machine and muratic acid just has to be part of the SOP!When you get up in age and scrubbing gets to be just plain boring...steam steam steam!</HTML>
September 12, 2004 01:17AM
<HTML> melissa G : If steam is as hot as I think it is and paint can only take so much heat-well-just don't say that around Ketch !
Doug

P.S. Someone I knew sniffed an unlabeled bottle in a garage once and it turned out to be Muriatic Acid . As I say, sniffed it only once...</HTML>
September 12, 2004 04:45AM
<HTML>As stated MURATIC ACID / VINEGAR will work. On the muractic acid I would contact the supplier of this product and get the PROPER dilution ratio.

DON'T FORGET TO NEUTRILIZE THE ACID WITH A LOW PH A.P.C [SIMPLE GREEN]

Hope this HELP with the other advise given. GOOD LUCK</HTML>
September 16, 2004 09:19PM
<HTML>Thanks for your help guys. I used Muriatic Acid with 3 parts water to one part acid. It worked well. I got virtually all the cement off with no damage. Customer was extremely pleased.It took me 4 hours including wax.

Larry</HTML>
September 16, 2004 10:37PM
<HTML>The steam is just to soften enough to scrape off with a plastic scraper , like detailplus sales..the lower levels where you find cement usually are tough anyway...but must admit I have turned a few dealer cars paint a little white here and there.ha ha ha..like buffing you just have to keep the steam moving and not stay in one place !</HTML>
September 17, 2004 12:07AM
<HTML>Muratic Acid is what brick masons used to remove motar residue from bricks after the laying is completed.

If kept away from rubber and plastic trim you should be ok in using this on the painted surface.

As someone recommended contact a masonry supply company that sell muratic acid and tell them what you want to use it for and get their recommendation.

CLAY

Absolutely not. The first time you pickup the cement in the clay bar it would act like a piece of sandpaper, scratching and marring the finish.

Are you not warned when using clay to not drop it on the ground for fear of getting dirt and grit particles in the bar??? Using it on cement is far worse.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

PS: Yes you need to neutralize the surface after applying acid, but are you certain that Simple Green is the answer? What is the pH? What does it have in it? Any caustics?</HTML>

buda
September 17, 2004 12:36AM
<HTML> Melissa : I stand corrected on the heat of the steam. It seems reasonable that keeping it moving will control how hot the paint gets.
Bud : I had thought the clay would pick up the cement the way it does dirt and thank you for correcting that assumption .
Doug

" Put brain in gear before engaging mouth ".</HTML>
September 17, 2004 12:54AM
<HTML>Doug:

We have to be careful about terminology. CLAY does not pickup "dirt" it picks up film, by my definition.

Dirt is the gritty material that builds up on a car requiring the need to go to a carwash, or to be hand washed.

It is this "dirt" that really creates the scratches that everyone claims automatic carwashes create on paint finishes.

If the "dirt" is not removed from the surface before automatic washing or hand washing you will get scratching on the paint.

So, CLAY does not pickup dirt, it picks up invisible surface film or paint overspray particles. And, if these are large enough and hard enough they too, could scratch the paint.

As Ketch indicated, you will have to buff out a car that has been clayed in most cases.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
September 17, 2004 03:35AM
<HTML> Bud : By dirt, I referred to bonded particles that come off when the car is clayed . Such contaminates can be made of anything. I've had experiance using Meguiars fine clay and Turtle Wax Professional coarse clay and not once has it been necessary to " buff out " a car to remove scratches from the claying.

Clay grabs anything that protrudes from the surface but I doubt it can remove road film . I define road film as the oily staining crud that comes off only with a cleaner or compound and sometimes with solvent .
During claying, if I leave a mark of some sort, I touch it up with Body Scrub or Scratch X etc.

( Good thing I never tried to clay cement, though )
Doug</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login