Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

magnets on paint

Posted by melissa G 
magnets on paint
October 12, 2004 11:21PM
<HTML>What are the reasons that a magnet turns clearcoat paint milky looking....I need to xplain it in a simple to the point way!Polarized and magnetized and all that good stuff!!</HTML>
Re: magnets on paint
October 13, 2004 12:24AM
<HTML>I would never put on but just curious: how long does it have to be on there before it does that?</HTML>
October 13, 2004 04:28AM
<HTML>Interesting -- I never heard of that.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
gaz
October 13, 2004 08:39PM
<HTML>Good question! I do know for about £20 you can buy 1/2 litre tin of magnetic paint which is applied by roller!
.</HTML>

edinburgh car clinic
www.smartrepairs.me.uk
78, Leyland Princess 2.2 HLS owner.
October 14, 2004 12:52AM
<HTML>I have been seeing a lot lately with the support our troops ribbons,when we take off the clearcoat has turned a milky color...some have been buffed or watersanded out but I have a person asking why his came back after a week on another forum... in simple terms!!!!</HTML>
October 14, 2004 02:27AM
<HTML>I saw a similar problem when a bra was on a PT Cruiser. It was an OEM bra, but the paint still was milky or cloudy. I believe it is due to a reaction from the plasticizers in the applique. The recommended fix was to heat the area with a heat gun. This worked on the bra problem. It may also work here too. Good Luck!</HTML>
October 14, 2004 02:40AM
<HTML>Oh yeah, the heat gun and rubbing alcohol trick.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 14, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>Spray alcohol while heating paint?</HTML>
October 16, 2004 02:06AM
<HTML>Not quite like that.

The average High Solid/Low Solvent paint systems applied to vehicles, since the early 90's, will absorb up to one pint of water "INTO" the paint film.

That is for vehicles with no sealant or wax protection, but even those which do have either on them, will accept some percentage of water.

The "cloudy" look is moisture that is "trapped" in the clearcoat.

Soaking the affected areas, with a towel that is wetted with IPA, and allowed to set/dwell for 3 to 5 minutes, will allow the IPA to work as a drying agent, and force the water out of the clear.

However, it is necessary, to use either a heat gun or hair dryer to complete the process.

Do not allow the paint surface to exceed 165F when doing this.

Start at one end or start point and slowly work the heat gun to the other end, observing the "cloudiness" leave the clear.

I worked with this process and developed it for Ford, back in the early 90's, and it has been used on over 100,000 vehicles by vehicle manufacturers.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
October 18, 2004 06:53PM
<HTML>Ketch:

What is IPA?</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
October 18, 2004 07:59PM
<HTML>IPA is just short for isopropyl alcohol</HTML>
October 19, 2004 01:12AM
<HTML>Bill,

Thanks for being really aware of what chemicals are.

Much better awareness, than those on that "one" place you hang out.

Stick around here, it will be much more benefical than with a group that only wants to have easy answers, "how can I buy answers to the best shine of my peers" sort of approach, no working to really find answers.

Good, you know, now how do you pass that on to those folks?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
October 30, 2004 03:52AM
<HTML>If any of you folks work in a dealership you might find this condition (water marks) under the plastic wrap on new cars. I just did three Scions that had this issue. Very simple process.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
October 30, 2004 02:04PM
<HTML>Ketch,

Sorry I am late to see your response. We must not forget there are others on those "other forums"as well who seek the "low down" on chemicals and their interactions in detailing supplies and not just "the sizzle."

I like to at least lurk where ever I find a detailing discussion. I think I know a 'bad" one when I see one so I try to participate accordingly. There's no doubt there are great discussions here but great ones also exist elsewhere. How frequently they occur in any one of these places varies.

Thanks everyone for continuing to dispense very valuable information.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login