Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How much time on a vehicle??

Posted by Shelley Halse 
How much time on a vehicle??
November 16, 2004 04:06AM
<HTML>Hi, I am a female operator who has just started on my wonderful Auto Detailing venture. I have been able to secure a good contract with a Used Car Dealership and am rewarded greatly for my work. The vehicles are old as you can imagine and need alot of attention. Suffice to say the Dealer has been overly impressed with my work and has literally dumped his previous detailers due to poor workmanship.

I have named my business 'Ms Finicky' and as the name suggests I am very precise in my work. My main concern is that as a Sole Operator I tend to spend a long time on one car (minus engine cleans). Although there are no complaints from the owner of the Dealership, I'm concerned I might be taking too long to finish the job.

Can others please advise me on a reasonable time that should be spent on a vehicle. I pride myself on doing a great job and even though I'm slow I do a remarkable job. I don't want to make $$$millions just want to supplement my hubby's income PLUS I love detailing! I have had experience as a Car Wash Attendant and also washing cars for Car Yards so am aware of the industry. I gave up a $75K government job to do this so I can spend more time with my husband and children. I live in Australia and am paid $100 AU for each vehicle.

How much time should I spend on any one vehicle???

Ms Finicky.</HTML>
<HTML>This will vary quite a bit, depending on the vehicle. About 50-percent of our business currently is dealer work. Be sure to give yourself some "wiggle room" with dealers. We have our basic dealer detail which includes the engine, interior, and exterior wash/wax. Generally, a 1-3 year old car can be detailed in about four to five hours. But on older units, you could easily have another couple of hours wrapped up. If so, we charge accordingly, because obviously additional work needed to be done, such as compounding, claying, extracting extra soiled interiors, removing tar, etc.

Hope this helps out. If you're spending much more time than that consistantly, you may want to figure out some ways to streamline your work patterns. Or, the dealer is really sending some junkers your way.

Robert

www.americanautoshine.com</HTML>
Re: How much time on a vehicle??
November 16, 2004 08:58AM
<HTML>Hi Robert,

Thanks for your advice. It seems about right in the number of hours I am spending on each vehicle. Is great to know I'm on the right track. The response to my message has been great especially with the emails I've received re: my message. Your all a fantastic group and to think I can get this type of advice from people so far away from Australia proves why we respect American people so much.

Thanks Again
Ms Finicky (Shelley)</HTML>
November 16, 2004 01:27PM
<HTML>The amount of time spent-IE hours, should be affected by the amount per car the dealer is paying.

Dealer work is not the same as retail detail, where money can be made.

If a dealer is paying $60 a vehicle, the shop will have to kick that car out in an hour and half, or lose money.

One and half hour, is not going to produce a quality vehicle, we all realize, that is "WE" do, but the dealer's used car manager does not.

It has been recognized by the professional's in this industry, that the "minimum' amount per hour a shop must produce, in order to make a minimum profit is $40 per hour.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
November 16, 2004 02:09PM
<HTML>Don't get me started on the dealers or UCM's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!</HTML>

November 16, 2004 02:20PM
<HTML>I dare you Scott !!!!!! [haha] As Ron & Scott TIME IS $$$$$$$$ Plain and simple Be aware of that MOST dealer I urge you to contact Scott and Bud</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login