Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Advise please

Posted by Terry Houton 
Advise please
December 25, 2004 08:31AM
<HTML>This is my first post. I would like to tell everyone a little about myself and then get some good advice. Please bear with me.

For the past 7 or so years, I have been in the computer field and at one time was making some pretty good money. Well as everyone knows, the job market took a dive (especially technology) and so did the money and I really wasn't enjoying what I was doing anymore so I decided that I was going to do some soul searching and try to find something that I really enjoyed doing and could make a decent living at it. I tried to start my own small computer service company fixing pc's and installing software at people's homes but soon came to hate it because people screw around with their computers so much that it became very cumbersome and time consuming fixing even the smallest things. Anyway, several years later and I'm still in the IT field and the money is better now but I can't say that I care for the work any more than I ever did. It's a paycheck and nothing more.

I racked my brain trying to think and research things that I would like to do and came up empty so many times that I all but resigned to the idea that this was just the way it was going to be from here on out. There was nothing that I enjoyed doing enough that I would want to invest time, money and effort doing it everyday.

Anyway, I bought a new truck recently and was just browsing Ebay for some detailing products for my own personal use and I saw some things that caught my attention. Stuff like beginners detailing kits, videos on starting a detailing business, mobile washers, etc. So I thought to myself, hey I've always taken pride in my vehicles. I like washing them and making them look as good as possible. I could just as easily do the same for other people. Maybe this is something I should do some research on and see if it's a viable business venture.

So I come across this board and I figured it was a really good place to start asking questions. I've got so many I don't know where to start, but here goes:

1. What is a reasonable amount of money that I could expect to spend to get started? I don't have a whole lot of capital at my disposal.

2. I would obviously have to start slow and build up business over time but I don't do a lot of networking, per se. I'm no salesman so I wouldn't even know where to begin to get the word out to generate business.

3. I would imagine the smart thing to do would be to get some kind of liability insurance to cover my assets. Any kind of rough idea how much a policy like this runs annually?

4. Would it be better for me to do this alone or go in with someone else that can bring in customers? Maybe I could do the detailing and they could do the sales part of it since that really isn't my strong suit.

5. Generally speaking, what are the pros and cons of getting into this type of business?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but I'll leave it at that for now. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Terry</HTML>
Re: Advise please
December 25, 2004 11:37AM
<HTML>Terry, it is wise that you asked some very important questions before just jumping into the detailing field like most do. The average lifespan for a detailing business is about six months. That should give you a pretty good indicator of what you are up against. Why is this business such a minefield? Unfortunately too many people get into this business because they think it will be a "fun" way to make a living. Detailing is like any other business - it has its good and bad points. It is a physically demanding job that is necessary to be hands on - all the time. It is also ultra-competitive or cutthroat if you will. Do a little research on what "detailers" are charging for their services in your area and see if you would be willing to work for similar money. This will be your reality check. People that are successful in the detailing business have three things that the others don't:
1) ability to produce excellent results on a consistant basis
2) sales skills to get people to buy their services
3) business skills that will allow them to make the right decisions to keep the company growing and successful

Unfortunately most of the guys getting into this business have little if not none of the above qualities. Don't let this disuade you if this is your dream - make it a motivation. If you do decide to do this - do it better than the next guy and CHARGE ACCORDINGLY. Most guys go broke competing with the "hackers" and that is obviously not the way. Attend a training class such as the one offered by www.autoint.com or www.detailplus.com - see if this is something you want to do as a hobby or a business. Good luck.</HTML>

December 25, 2004 05:05PM
<HTML>Terry...Welcome to the board! As Scott said, you've made your first wise decision by doing research and asking questions BEFORE you jump into it!

Until you get more responses to your post, I'd recommend you use the "Search" function for the board. There's a ton of information already on here that can provide you food for thought for a long time.

You don't mention what part of the country you're in (weather can be a big factor) and whether you're planning to be mobile or fixed location.

As far as the startup costs, that could run from zero (depending on what you already have) to several thousand dollars (depending on what you want to offer). I'd recommend contacting a chemical distributor (Auto Magic, Car Brite, etc) in your area and picking their brain for knowledge. They should be able to give you a snapshot of what's going on where you live and should be able to help you decide what you need to operate.

As to starting slow...you can almost count on that. One of the things that amazed me is how long it takes to build a client base. The thing is that even when you have someone who loves your work, you're only gonna see 'em once a month, every six months, mabe even only once a year. It take a lot of folks to keep the calendar full!

Liability insurance is a MUST! It's only smart to protect yourself and your customer in case something goes wrong. Contact some local agents. The price will vary depending on what part of the country you're in and what you plan to do.

I wouldn't worry about having a sales guy...your work will speak for itself. If you do a good job the word will spread. If you do a bad job the word will REALLY spread! Again, use the search function and look for "ads", "advertising, and "marketing". You'll find lots of ideas on how to get the word out.

As for the pros and cons...there are way to many to list here. I think the biggest "pro" is the feeling you get from seeing the finished product. Knowing that you took an average vehicle and made it look as close to, and in some cases, better than new. I love it when a customer picks up their car or truck and are amazed at the difference we made!

The biggest "con" for me is that there are folks out there that you just can't please no matter what you do! Fortunately those are few and far between for us, but even one once in a while can really make ya feel bad.

The main thing to remember is NEVER promise more than you can deliver and ALWAYS try to give more that you promise! If you're not positive about whether you can fix a paint defect or remove an interior stain, tell your customer the truth. They'll appreciate your honesty and, if you can correct the defect or remove the stain, they'll be even more grateful.

Don't hesitate to come back to the board with any more questions that arise. Thre's a goldmine of information available here from some very experienced guys (Scott, Dan, Bud, Ketch, and many others). No need to keep reinventing the wheel when it's already out there!

Steve Bough
The Shine Shop
Jasper, Indiana
www.theshineshop.us</HTML>
December 27, 2004 08:15AM
<HTML>Terry--
I have an BA, MCSE, CCNE, A+ Cert and about ten other letters I could add after my name. I have walked a mile in your shoes and getting out of the tech industry can be a smart decision, you will second guess yourself but keep moving forward and you will be fine. Just ask yourself do I want to work 14 hours a day making someone else rich? Steve made a good point about this board being a wealth of information, research is a good thing. I can address some of your questions from my own experiences but they may differ in your market:

1) Money you will spend lots. I spent just about $9,000 getting started with my own truck and pulling everything in a trailer. This included insurance and everything else, lawyer fees, business cards, etc. Your state may have low interest loans available to you for starting a business Chekc with Chamber of Commerce or a state level small business admin.

2)Sales etc. Start by calling local companies and offering discounts to employees You will either have to mail them a info kit or drop it off in person. This can be successful way to quickly build repeat business. Hair slaons are great too, If I cold call a high end saloon I always get business Or dealerships, law firms, doctors office etc. A business card, flyer and a handshake are going to be your BEST MARKETING TOOLS YOU HAVE. Be confident but not arrogant and be brief.

3) Insurance. YES! You will make a thousand calls for quotes if you are going to be mobile you will need a policy for your auto and a General Liablity policy for your business. After the hurricanes this year I can only imagine it will not be cheap.

4) Going it alone: This can be tricky beware the guy who can bring you billions in business he is usually the coolest guy he knows and there is a reason he is not in business for himself, he can't be trusted.

5) Pros and Cons: Pros: Great farmers tan in the summer, this job, if done right, will get you in shape, being around cars, meeting new customers, seeing a finished product from your efforts, your new love of chemicals adjustable schedule for your family. The pros can go on and on.
Cons: The farmers tan in the summer, hard work, scrapped knuckles, taxes, insurance, the lady with an 88 Regal thats never been washed and wont pay you because you could not remove the mystery stain Fido left on the seat durring the first President Bushes era. But you go home kiss your wife have a beer and let it go. I own my own mobiel detailing business, this is my second successful business in detailing, If you want to get into further details let me know I am more than willing to help out the new guy.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
December 27, 2004 02:08PM
<HTML>Terry,

I looked at buying an existing detailing business for over 2 years before I purchased it. I think the main thing you need is entreprenurial spirit and good old common sense to make this business or any business work.

It's one thing to have a hankering for detailing cars and making them look great. It's another thing to have the discipline to pay all the bills: rent or mortgage, insurance (liability and garage keepers), taxes (there's a ton of forms and filings to keep track of), equipment repairs, supplies, utilities, payroll, professional fees and bookeeping, advertising, etc., then invest money back into your company, and finally live off of the crumbs that are left over. I would seriously recommend that you have 6-12 months of income saved up to separately cover your household living expenses, because getting started is the toughest part and to run out of cash would be a disaster. It's amazing how much money it takes to run even a small business on a month to month basis. It is very important that you do not run out of money and have the discipline to stay on top of the bookwork! I hired a secretary to keep track of all of this, so I can concentrate on running and growing our business and not worry about which tax form needs to be filled out and sent in, etc.

We also have other income sources...trailer sales, U-Haul rentals, spray-on bedliners, truck accessories, and in 2005 used auto/truck sales. Our property is large enough to display all of this, so we need to do whatever is reasonable and in our best interest to bring in income. Once your cover your monthly business expenses, anything beyond that is your profit. And believe me, once you start doing this, you'll appreciate any profit you can muster.

Other items to ponder: I would recommend talking with an accountant to decide on the best type of business to have (S-corp, LLC, single proprietorship, etc.). You may want to also visit with an attorney for any legal matters you need to take care of (filing your business name with your State, etc.). Also, have a good relationship with a banker that understands completely what you're doing.

These are just some of the things I thought of this morning. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to help out.

Robert Csukker
www.americanautoshine.com
www.bigredtrailers.com</HTML>
December 28, 2004 04:16AM
<HTML>Thanks for all the great advice I have been reading over the past couple of days. To answer a couple of questions that were asked...I live in Houston, Tx. (we have plenty of warm weather here) and I was thinking of just doing mobile detailing. I really don't want to mess with a facility at all. I think that this would significantly decrease the up front expenses, not to mention avoid many headaches that go with the territory of moving into a permanent location.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login