Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

touch up harrdener

Posted by Phil Goode 
touch up harrdener
October 25, 2003 07:02PM
<HTML>Anyone have an idea what is used to harden the base coat paint when doing touch up. I am told it is gel coat. The way I buy it is very expensive.</HTML>
Re: touch up harrdener
October 26, 2003 04:02AM
<HTML>Hardeners and reducers. Since I like helping people out so much, I did a little research for you Phil!

Look: [www.sherwin-automotive.com]

[www.autocolorlibrary.com]

The gel coat is used on fiberglass panels like aftermarke hoods, spoliers, etc.

Hope that helps.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 29, 2003 08:26AM
<HTML>use the same hardner you use in your clear coat.</HTML>

george moore
October 29, 2003 11:05AM
<HTML>It is not all that complicated. When you use a two stage paint system, based-coat and then followed by the clear-coat you receive the hardener to put into the clear to make it harden.

If you are trying to put the hardener into base coat IT WILL NOT WORK.

If you want to have a one-step paint for touchup you have to buy single stage toners to mix a one step paint.

We have struggled with this problem ever since the paint companies quit selling toners for both types of paint systems.

You definitely need base-coat/clear-coat for repainting bumpers and the front ends of hoods, but would prefer to have single stage paint for the simple rock chip touchups.

If you want hardener to use with clear we can provide.

Regards
Bud Abraham
buda@detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
October 29, 2003 02:38PM
<HTML>I currently use the Sherwin-williams u7000 system for two stage paint you would not need hardner just reducer in the base coat .After the proper flash time you would apply the clear coat's which has been mixed with the reducer and hardner. If you are trying to make a single stage paint for manual chip filling with a fine artist brush,squeegee,syringe,flow pencil,or paint stick you would first mix your toner then add toners 400 ,303 and a thickener agent.400 is a binder which helps the paint dry glossy and 303 is a dryer which also helps the paint dry glossy.the thickener helps fill the chips and scratches and also acts as a hardner. once converted to a single stage you can not apply clear over it.If you want to air brush the single stage you may add reducer .Use excess paint remover to level the paint.</HTML>

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way...
October 29, 2003 07:09PM
<HTML>Thanks everyone. I still need help here. Let me explain, my standox paint system does not include single stage paint. As a result, when I need a sinlge stage, I add to my toner a clear liguid provided by the guy who taught me. This clear liguid is what turns my two stage into a single stage. It thickens, and glosses and causes to hardnen in about 10 minutes or less so I can remove any extra paint with a method we call liding. Baiscally the excess is removed by using a paper towel, excess paint remover wrapped around a small bottle lid, this is rubed over the paint and removes the excess leaving a nice repair in the chip and not all around same. What I am asking here is if anyone has any idea what that clear liguid is. I have been told gel coat but cannot confirm.

Bud, would gel coat surve this purpose?</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login