Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

epa regulations/washing

Posted by handdautocare 
epa regulations/washing
February 20, 2005 02:07AM
<HTML>hi, guys, I am wondering about this and cannot figure out. here's my dilemma. I am a mobile washing unit that serves car lots. A problem I have run into is that some of my lots the epa are cracking down on, and I want to follow the laws. Heres what I'm asking, these lots are NOT allowed to use any water on their lots...period. they are too close to rivers or streams. I want to give them a service that they ask for(clean cars), but I don't want to charge them a fortune for the service. any ideas? by the way, I thought these were just local regulations, I have read where ya'll mentioned they are national. am I correct in this?</HTML>

h melton
Re: epa regulations/washing
February 20, 2005 08:28AM
<HTML>Ihear some of the guys around here only use water to rinse the cars and no soap. That way they can do it legally. Yes it is a federal law, clean water act or something like that.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
February 20, 2005 03:47PM
<HTML>You should go on the EPA's website and find out what you really need to know.

I would also suggest that once you have the "real deal", that you find on the site, print it out and have it with you to show the dealers.

This will substinate the reason for your added cost to provide them service.

It may be necessary to move each vehicle to the wash bay, which should have a clarifier, in order to wash them properly.

There is also, the use of the "mat" for trapping the water, but that would be a real time and labor expense.

Am not sure, but if the regulations are violated, not only the service provider is responsible, but also "the customer" who operates the lot or dealership, for any fines.

It appears that we are going to have a rough 2005 regarding "etching" and acid rain this year due to projections by the weather experts.

This is due to the El Nino weather pattern as well as higher than normal temperatures across the country.

Plain water only provides a much more "active breeding" ground for etching and acid rain deposits.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 20, 2005 04:18PM
<HTML>Mr Melton:

What you are encountering is something that is going to become more and more a problem for detailers and mobile washers all over the USA and Canada in the coming years, containment of waste water.

This has officially been against the Federal Law ever since the Clean Water Act was passed by Congress.

Basically that law states that you cannot discharge any affluent (waste water with chemicals in it or raw and untreated sewage directly into the rivers and streams unless it goes thru a treatment plant or on to the ground directly).

To administer this law they established the Federal Environmental Protection Agency. This Federal Agency then passes responsibility for enforcing this law on to the States and the States have setup a State Agency for enforcing the law.

Some states like California have even stricter pollution laws than the Federal Clean Water Act as they have more problems with pollution than the average state. But no state can reduce the Federal requirements. In any case.

They then pass this responsibility on to the local municipalities and counties to enforce.

However, the local agencies are not consistent with enforcement giving detailers and mobile washers the idea that it is OK to discharge waste water into the storm drains (sewers) and on to the ground.

What you must do is contact your local State agency dealing with water polluion and control and they will tell you what you need to do. Mr Ketcham's advise regarding checking the Federal law is good, but in the end it is what your State and even local municipality demands.

The least expensive method to abide by the law is the containment mat. Put the car on the mat; wash it and pump up the water when done into a holding tank.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
www.detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
February 20, 2005 04:31PM
<HTML>we already go by these iindustry standards, and yet there are 3 lots for sure, with bays and everything, who have been fined(before we came along) for washing their cars in their bays or whereever, they were told no washing cars on your lot, period...no water anywhere will be found, bays, traps, anywhere! What we use is their city water, and it's not clean enough to go back into the drains?</HTML>

h melton
February 20, 2005 04:45PM
<HTML>First of all, a drain does not mean that it is connected to the sanitary sewer. If it were connected to the sanitary sewer it probably does not have an oil water separator connected to it before going into the sanitary sewer. That is the reason.

Why they do not allow plain water off the cars to go into the drain or sewer is something only the local people can tell you.

Sometimes the local enforcement inspectors simply intimidate the offender by saying "no water whatsoever on to the ground or into the sewer." But as Mr Ketcham has said, in most areas they do not disallow the use of plain water into the sewer or on to the ground.

You need to find out for yourself the laws in your State and talk to someone, other than a clerk at the City or County after you have done your own homework to know what the State says about these things.

These are legitimate laws to protect all of us. We all the drink the water and we know that it is really polluted from businesses, sewage, etc.

If you would have told me 40 to 50 years ago that I would be paying over $1.00 for a bottle of drinking water I would have thought you crazy.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
www.detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
Dan
February 20, 2005 05:24PM
<HTML>Sounds like the people you work for need a good lawyer or need to spend some money on a clarifier.</HTML>
February 21, 2005 09:41AM
<HTML>We have been told the reason for not even plain water is the fact that our water "picks up" oils and other unwanted materials and introduces those items into the system. Our question was "mother nature does the same with rain right"? Response - Its an act of God and when you creat the water flow...you as the opperator are at fault. Soap or no soap...wet washing without collection is getting harder and harder.

Even states that are behind the times are being more active. In Idaho where our main office is located we are starting to hear more and more EPA related info heading our direction.

Last year when working in Washington state, we were blown away on how far ahead that state is on these issues. No one is going to be above the law soon. Thank the man above we don't do much fleet work...those of you who do may have some interesting times ahead!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login