Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Auto detail business start-up advice wanted

Posted by Matt Tognarelli 
<HTML>I am looking into starting my own auto detail business on the East coast and ran across this website while doing research. I studied previous postings and figured I would give it a shot for myself.

For the past four years I have been helping a buddy start a landscaping business, and it has worked out well for him but not me. Needless to say, I am not afraid of hard work, but my passion has been in auto detailing since I was young. I started doing detail work as a lot lizard for a local dealership during high school, and since then I have done it on the side for years. I am at a crossroads in life and I can go work for the man in corporate America or I can work for myself doing something I enjoy.

I am leaning toward working for myself doing detailing. The questions and fears are endless, but I have the confidence that I can overcome all of them.

My past experience has given me a good starting base, but I know there is a lot I need to learn before I can consider myself a pro. which is what I aspire to become. I have looked into some of the classes offered out there, but am interested what you current pros suggest. I have considered going to one of the sessions detail king offers, but is it worth the cost? I also saw the car care world expo, but by that time I hope to have the business up and running.

Should I go with a mobile business or a brick and mortar business? The cost of brick and mortar where I am considering starting my business is extremely high, so I am leaning toward the mobile side.

What is a reasonable cost to expect when starting up a new detail business? Can I make enough to survive on it? I realize I am going to have to bust my balls trying to get this thing started, but I am actually looking forward to it.

I have many more questions, but I will leave it at this for now.
Thanks everyone for the help, and I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
Have a good day.</HTML>
Re: Auto detail business start-up advice wanted
January 26, 2005 08:24PM
<HTML>Wow, sounds like my life and exactly how I got started. I'll post more when I get a chance -- there is a lot of info to give on this matter.

My buddy Rob Glinsky is a trainer at Detail King and is worth the small initial investment if you're looking for a two day hands on training.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>Thanks for your help Brian. I look forward to hearing more form you. I see that you do work on boats as well. Where I plan on going has a large population of boats, and I was looking into doing those as well. My only problem is that I have never done a boat before. What can you tell me about doing them?

I am definitely interested in doing one of the Detail king two day sessions and I feel it would be worth the investment, but I wanted to kick it around with a couple of pros before I made the investment.

Thanks again.

Matt</HTML>
<HTML>Matt,

I worked for a corporation 13 years in sales before purchasing an existing "brick and mortar" detailing business. Being an entreprenuer is something many people talk about, but few actually do. If you work hard, have common sense, and the discipline to manage money, you'll be off to the right start. It's one thing to enjoy detailing cars and have the proper training to do so, but it's a another thing to actually run the business, pay all the bills on time, have the correct insurance, keep track of taxes, and market yourself and your company.

Just to give you an idea...the lease of a shop, phone, electric, gas, water/sewer, garbage, liability insurance, garge keeper's insurance (basically comp/collision), accounting, advertising, office supplies, computer, equipment repairs, equipment payments, (2) employees, workers comp insurance, social security taxes, unemployment taxes, etc., can easily cost between $5,000 and $10,000 per month...every month. And that's before you pay yourself anything. So if you're averaging about $125 per vehicle, you'll need 40 and 80 cars per month to cover your expenses, in this senario.

That being said, if you can secure adequate financing, have the drive to make this happen, and the common sense and discipline to make good financial decisions, it's certainly worth pursuing. I cannot emphasize enough the fact that you'll need to be adequately financed, because the first few years, you'll be living on the "leftovers". Everyone else and everthing else gets paid before you do, or you'll run into trouble quickly.

Other things to consider...visting with a business attorney and accountant for advice on setting up your company (ie: S-corp, LLC), having a good working relationship with a local banker that you trust, have adequate insurance coverage (liability and garge keeper's), work with an accountant to keep track of all the tax forms, especially if you have employees.

Oh, most importantly, if you're married, you better have your wife on your side. You'll need all the support you can get.

Hope this helps out and best of luck to you. I hope those who do mobile detailing can give you an idea of what to look for.

Regards,

Robert
www.americanautoshine.com</HTML>
January 30, 2005 11:03PM
<HTML>Hey Matt, go mobile if expenses are an issue. I started my mobile detail business in "Nov. 99" and haven't looked back since. I had a truck, 78 Chevy, with rust all over it but it ran great. I bought a new 5x8 trailer, $700.00, a poly 200 gallon water tank, $150.00, Honda pressure washer, $600.00 and generator, $400.00. When you add that up, $1850.00 is not much to start a business. I started with just focusing on washing the vehicles to get money rolling in, then the detailing about 6 months later. And just to let you know, those expensive mobile rigs you come across on the internet, don't bother, build yours, it's easy. My rig is almost 6 years old, with proper maintence, is still ready for 6 more.

I started on a Saturday morning door knocking in an exclusive neighborhood. The first person that answered the door thought I had a great idea and had me wash his 3 cars. While washing his cars, his neighbor came out and put his name on the list and so on. By the end of the day, I washed every car on the block and came back the next day to finish the next block over. I had to quit my full time job just 2 weeks after I started and my wife and I, worked it together. On days that nobody called, my wife said "lets go looking for work" and to my amazement, we would wash like 10 to 12 cars with no one calling that day. After two months, we never door knocked again. Robert with American Auto Shine is dead on when he wrote having your wife on your side because when things don't seem to go right, you need that someone to say "everything is going to be fine, just keep on doing what you do".

In 2001, I bought a brand new Chevy,the same year, a nice house. Sept. 2002 I bought my wife a new Mercedes C230 Kompressor and most all, my son attends one of the best private school in town.

I don't write all this to brag but is intended to "INSPIRE". With alot of hard work, anything is possible. Treat your clients like family and it will be returned to you 100 fold. If you or anyone elsle has any questions, let me know, I wish you good luck in your endever, Martin.</HTML>

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]
February 01, 2005 04:19PM
<HTML>Matt,
I am a newly registered member, and can relate totally to your situation also. Detailing is definitely a "bust your ass" occupation. I say this mainly because I believe that there are a lot of people out there doing just mediocre work. You need to stand out from the crowd so that people not only come back to you for all of their work, but recommend you to their friends and family. I have been "cleaning" cars since i was 13. I started just cleaning family cars, then extended friends of my parents. This led to a lot of business through the years. I worked in reconditioning for awhile in a used car dealership. This was a real education. Learning to use extractors and buffers as well as other tricks/tools of the trade allowed me to offer more services to my existing customer base. I recently purchased a home that has a large garage unit in the back of it, so i can detail year round now. I am still working it as a side job, building capital to go full time. I still maintain relationships with the people who saw me through my beginning years with just a bucket and hose. I still do work for the dealerships that i dealt with in the past. I too am a little afraid to quit my full time job and go "brick and mortar". I am a hard worker and i think that this spring i am going to bite the bullet and do it. I am sick of working for other people. I like making my own rules, and my own schedule, making decisions, and handling customers personally, by my own agenda. My best advice that I can give is that you can never know too much in this field. There is always something to be learned, a new trick or procedure to be tried. If you feel that a detailing seminar would enlighten you more, go for it. Just take the advice of the other pro's in this forum, and do your homework before you commit to paying. I look forward to sharing ideas and thoughts with the rest of the people on this site. Thanks for listening!

Tim</HTML>
February 12, 2005 10:08PM
<HTML>I am in the same boat. I am in the Air Force. Hit 19 years this month and am interested in doing this after I retire. Obviously I can't quit my fulltime job at this point but I would like to get started now part-time, that way by the time I retire I could possibly be a name out there to the public. This would be a weekend business for now. I want to do it from my home. Basically word of mouth. I have done a few friends cars for free and they loved the results. Can I just start doing people's cars by word of mouth and charge them for now without starting a business and not worry about fees, licenses, etc? This could be a good way to get some cash built up to go full blown.</HTML>
February 12, 2005 11:35PM
<HTML>That is a decision you have to make on your own. I can offer this advice: I have been doing it since way before i could drive, this built up an experience base and gave me credibility for people to refer their friends and family to me. I personally see nothing wrong with building capital that way, plus it gives you a grassroots customer base. One thing i would worry about is liability for peoples vehicles. Damage, accidents, etc. I would not hesitate to give you the advice to startup this way, then work your way up to go into a full time operation.</HTML>
February 23, 2005 11:08PM
<HTML>I just want to check back in and thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I just returned from the Detail King training seminar, and like Mr. Angelucci stated previously it is a good hands-on training.
I came into the seminar knowing a little bit about the business, but I left with a much better perspective on the Business. The information I received about advertising, marketing, insurance, and the detailing procedures and methods were all very informative and helpful. The hands-on training I received was very valuable for my future endeavor. Some of the stuff I knew from previous experiences, but what I did not know and learned will come in very handy in the future. Besides, I now have a resource in Mr. Vacco that I can call upon for any help I may need.
I would definitely suggest the Detail King training seminar to anyone looking into starting their own detailing business. Just like any other seminar you go to they try to sell their products (they would be bad business people if they didn't), but it is up to you to take something out of it. I know some of my classmates took absolutely nothing from it, and that is not Mr. Vacco's fault at all. It was the fault of the person for not taking it seriously, not taking notes, and not getting their hands dirty when they had the chance. I took over six pages of notes, and I mean full detailed notes. When we had the opportunity to use the buffers, extractors, everything I dove right in and got my hands dirty. If there is one thing I learned in College it is that I learn much better when I can do things hands-on, and I definitely got that opportunity. Not only did I get a hands-on experience I also had a great teacher that I could ask any question I had throughout the detailing portion of the seminar.
The Detail King training seminar was definitely worth the money. I was very serious about it and got everything I wanted and more from it. I would suggest to anyone looking into starting their own detailing business to spend the money and take the Detail King training seminar.
Again, thanks to everyone above for their advice. I truly appreciate you taking your time to help me out.

Have a nice day,

Matt Tognarelli</HTML>
February 24, 2005 01:50AM
<HTML>Matt,

Glad to hear the Detail King seminar was a success for you. Rob is a good guy and we meet up a NJ diner when he travels to Pittsburg. They wouldn't contract out someone so far (CT) if it wasn't for high standards.

Have you thought about joining the PDTA? A lot to gain from a great group of guys.

If you're ever looking to get into boat detailing, send me an email.

If you're looking to get involved in planes, email Renny.

Just trying to get the word out about great training and literature.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 24, 2005 11:58AM
<HTML>I'm also looking into starting a mobile detailing business. I live in NY with all the rules and regulations that usually aren't user friendly to business startups. I this this site is a wonderful source to help make the startup decision. My question is the clean water act. I don't see anybody doing mobile washing here like they used to. Is it a problem as a start up? Are the biodegradeable products ok to use and not have a regulation problem?</HTML>
February 24, 2005 02:55PM
<HTML>Hey Bob,

I am sure some of the other guys on this phorum can help you out a little better than me. From what I understand you need a water containment mat to keep the water from flowing directly into the drain. You can find these mats on the Detail King website and Bud Abrahams details plus website.
They will help you comply with local water regulations. Hopefully, the other guys on the site can help you. You might want to try asking your question under a more specific title to get more help.

Good Luck,

Matt Tognarelli</HTML>
February 24, 2005 03:08PM
<HTML>Hey Brian,

I was not in Rob's group, but I did have the opportunity to talk to him on the side a few times throughout the day. He was a very helpful nice guy when I had the chance to talk to him.
One question, what is the PDTA? Spelt out, or a direct website would be nice. I will put it in a search engine to find it, but you never know what it will come up with, if you know what I mean.
When I do decide to get into boats I will definitely look you up. I want to start with what I know, before I get in over my head. I will want to expand the business in that direction once I get my feet under me.

Thanks again,

Matt</HTML>
February 24, 2005 06:20PM
<HTML>Hi Matt,

The PDTA is an acronym for the Professional Detailing Technician's Association. You can get all the information you need by going to the website at: www.detailersassociation.com

A lot of money to be made in boat detailing! Where in the country are you?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login