Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Scratches on chrome rims

Posted by Mark Hoffman 
Scratches on chrome rims
February 27, 2005 11:11PM
<HTML>Is it possible to remove light scratches on chrome rims similar to the light scratches you would find on a painted surface of a car? If so what are some recommended products and the best way to do it?</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
Re: Scratches on chrome rims
March 02, 2005 12:38AM
<HTML>Cleaning Chrome Wheels:
Once the brake dust has been removed apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF) a wheel surface will reach a temperature in excess of 120oF due to rotor friction and in excess of 195oF when parked in the sun.

Methodology:
•Thoroughly rinse wheels to remove any loose surface dirt or dust, remove imbedded brake dust with detailer’s clay
•Remove surface brake dust with a 100% acid-free and neutral pH wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Cleaner) Agitate with a soft boar’s hair wheel brush and rinse with low-pressure clean water
•If necessary use a polish to restore the lustre of polished chrome (Simichrome) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating, remove residue with a clean, dry micro fibre towel
To remove very fine scratches use talcum powder and a damp cloth
•Use a one-step product (Klasse All-In-One or Zoopseal)) to provide both cleaning and long-term polymer protection; this will also make future cleaning easier. Apply with a damp applicator; remove residue with a clean, dry micro fibre towel, and finally buff surface to a shine.

Maintenance- remove brake dust with car wash concentrate or P21S Wheel Cleaner (dependant on how soiled the wheel surface is) AIO or Zoopseal should only require renewal twice per year.
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
March 02, 2005 01:38AM
<HTML>Thanks for the info Jon, very informative.</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
March 02, 2005 08:19PM
<HTML>Has the platting been broke? If you are into metal below the plate level its toast! If not, you may be able to remove a light surface scratch. Most of the time when chrome is damaged its pretty tough to fix. Surface damage can be fixed but anything that lifts or breaks the platting is simply gone.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
March 02, 2005 09:22PM
<HTML>Renny--The platting looks to be fine, just some light scratches from getting to close to the rim with the tire brush. I was going to give Jon's technique a shot to remove them but I have not had the chance yet.</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
March 12, 2005 02:51AM
<HTML>how did it turn out mark? i asked the same question today and got the same response from jon but also haven't been able to try it yet.
oh, and thank you jon</HTML>
March 12, 2005 01:36PM
<HTML>I haven't had a chance to try it yet as it is still pretty cold and I don't have a warm place to wash the car. I am also trying to locate some talcum powder that doesn't come in a pink container with a big fluffy poofer in it.</HTML>

Thanks
Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login