Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

buffing compond

Posted by kok 
kok
buffing compond
March 28, 2005 06:30PM
<HTML>i recently used a european cut compound to remove some scratches with a cuttting pad and a high speed buffer at 2000 rpm but it kept getting caked up and drying up pretty quick. I dont think i was using too much and was moving the buffer at a medium pace. Could this be an inferior product that i bought from the detail supply store or was my technique wrong. my buddy uses 3m products and he says it was probably the product. also are meguiares high speed buffer products worthy of what they claim on their site? thanks kok</HTML>
Re: buffing compond
March 28, 2005 06:44PM
<HTML>Most modern compounds are not formulated to be used above 1750 RPM, and actually work better, cut better, produce less marring, if used at 1000 to 1400 RPM.

Too high of speed causes the newer abrasive content to "break down" prematurely, and render the product ineffective.

Sounds like you were generating too much heat, causing the liquids in the product to evaporate.

If this product was made for BodyShop use, it does not have any dimethalsiloxanes or the normal percentage of high hydrocarbon solvent content, mostly water as the carrier.

High heat generated makes the water carrier/lubricant go away real quick.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
March 29, 2005 02:05AM
<HTML>Kok:

In addition to the good advise that Ron K gave you please also note that compounds can be formulated in a couple of ways:

a. Some use a quicker drying solvent and not as much oil which causes the compound to work faster.

b. Others will use a "wetter" solvent and more oil to cause the compound to work longer and be less apt to burn the paint.

One is not better than the other, at least intrinsically. But if you want a longer working compound and you buy one that is formualated to dry faster you have a problem.

It is likely you cannot find anyone who can tell you if this product was formulated as a quick working or a longer working compound.

I can tell you the compounds in our line from the heavy to the micro fine all have more oil and "wetter" solvents allowing them to work longer.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
April 01, 2005 12:34AM
<HTML>Why is it so many detailer's feel they have to use such high rmp? In our last two trainings, students from other so called training organizations said instructors were using 1800-2000 rpm all the time....????

These are so to say the "pros" teaching others to use such high speeds? I guess I am simply a purest...I prefer 900-1200 rpm and in very limited situations will go above thse numbers.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login