Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detailing Myths

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Detailing Myths
October 26, 2003 08:05AM
<HTML>OK guys,

I'm almost done with my website's education area and need a little help from you all. For the "myths & gimmicks" section, I want to add all the tales that exist in the detailing industry. If you can, please post all myths you know of. This can be fun.

For example:

"7 coats of wax will give you the best shine."

"Interior dressing will deploy air bags over time." (found this one in a past post)

"You will never have to wash your car again if you use TOUCHLESS"</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Detailing Myths
October 26, 2003 12:02PM
<HTML>All detailing products are the same, only difference is price.
(kinda like all paint is the same, only difference is price
or all steaks are the same, don't they all come from a cow?
or all cars are the same..., after all, don't they function the same? LOL! )

What about "dealer installed protection" lasts 3, 5, 7 years or even a lifetime!
or
A rotary will ruin your paint,
or
Dressings crack dashes(only certain knds, not all).

how's that for a "start" smiling smiley
I will try to think of more later...</HTML>

The &quot;BEST of The BEST&quot;
October 26, 2003 12:43PM
<HTML>About the only one i can think of off the top of my head that you didnt mention.

Faster doesnt mean better....everybody wants things now..(me included) There are those out there spending about an 1 1/2 to 2 hours doing a full detail...cutting every corner and using questionalble products and procedures.....basicly damaging the car...
this will help justify a higher price and move you to a more desireable market...not to say you wont have to do what you have to do sometimes.....

sorry not much help here, but thats the big one for me.</HTML>
October 27, 2003 03:45PM
<HTML>Ive been using dawn for years to wash my car. Purple Power is a safe cleaner, The seats are supposed to be wet when you pick the car up, Dealer myths, Yes, I buffed it, my buffer doesnt shoot out paint, no, I cant wetsand for the same price, Why should I have to strip the interior and pressure wash the carpet, That smell, is someone who smoked in the vehicle with the windows up for 10 years, you need to replace the headliner, that other smell is the vehicle leaks in the trunk, full of water and rust. Gasoline will take off road paint, and everything else,</HTML>
October 27, 2003 06:53PM
<HTML>I've heard "If you use dressings (i.e. "ArmorAll", "Son of a Gun" etc.) the surfaces you use them on will become "addicted" to the dressing and will wear/fade/crack faster unless the dressing is constantly used on it.</HTML>
October 28, 2003 02:36AM
<HTML>Please don't use teflon, if I have it painted, I will have to sand down all the way to the primer.

If you put teflon on it, you will never have to wax it again.

This one soap will clean it all.</HTML>
October 28, 2003 03:03AM
<HTML>Good ones. Keep em' coming!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 28, 2003 03:23AM
<HTML>Don't use products with silicones, especially if repainting or painting is required.

This product will clean, remove oxidation, repair swirls/scratches, make it look like new and can be done by hand.

Use motor oil to give tires a long lasting shine

Use laquer thinner to make your whitewalls look like new!

NOAH, funny you should say this:
"All detailing products are the same, only difference is price.
(kinda like all paint is the same, only difference is price
or all steaks are the same, don't they all come from a cow?
or all cars are the same..., after all, don't they function the same? LOL!)"</HTML>
October 28, 2003 04:30AM
<HTML>Thanks Robert.

Although for the second one you posted "This product will clean, remove oxidation, repair swirls/scratches, make it look like new and can be done by hand" made me think of a product that does this.

Check out: www.speedbead.com

Great stuff!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 28, 2003 01:18PM
<HTML>This sealant will last for 5 years, no problem (100,000 claims later)...

All chemicals are actually made in the same plant. People just come in
and buy them and put their own name on them. smiling smiley

This is the greatest all purpose product ever made. Acually worked great. Ordered a couple of cases, all bottles were filled with water. Rep diappeared. OUCH!</HTML>
October 28, 2003 01:50PM
<HTML>A full detail will cost you $60 and take about 45 minutes...

if it doesnt have swirl marks it's never been buffed...

clay bar removes all rail dust ....

just a few that I can think of .

Jim.</HTML>
October 29, 2003 12:51AM
<HTML>Put a "little" bleach in your interior cleaner, to brighten and freshen it up some.... Use laquer thinner on headliners to clean, Use soft scrub on leather.....Use steel wool on the chrome grills(plastic chrome) wont scratch too bad....Use comet to brighten up dingy white paint.....</HTML>
October 29, 2003 11:49PM
<HTML>Good ones.

I do, however, use bleach for boat interiors with light colored synthetic fabrics. Boats tend to get leaks and this causes the interior to get infested with black mold alll along the interior walls. This happens during storage. What I do is dilute bleach about 10:1 and spray evenly along the fabrics on the walls and headliners. The mold disappears and dies without leaving any bleach marks on the fabrics. Pretty neat trick I learned.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

October 30, 2003 02:10AM
<HTML>Thanks for the tip Brian.</HTML>
October 30, 2003 03:06AM
<HTML>You're welcome. I got that tip from a chemist who is a member of a yacht club I do work at. I was a bit skeptical at first then saw nothing got hurt.

I wouldn't, however use bleach on a car's interior.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login