Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teflon Sealants

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Teflon Sealants
October 26, 2003 08:08AM
<HTML>Wondering if Teflon Sealant is as effective as what I've read. I know it works wonders on cooking sheets but is it really necessary for a sealant? Does this really work or is it just a gimmick? All experiences and coments are appreciated.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Teflon Sealants
October 26, 2003 11:55AM
<HTML>It is a gimmic. You need heat for teflon to bond, enough heat to ruin your paint job.
I personally do not trust a manufacturer that offers teflon products, as the know they "do not work", yet sell to uninformed consumers.
IMO..., a rip-off!</HTML>

The &quot;BEST of The BEST&quot;
October 26, 2003 12:02PM
<HTML>Just ask yourself, why don't all the major manufacturers produce it.

If it was that good, they would.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 12:26PM
<HTML>The protection in a sealant comes from the polomers. Teflon will not bond and is only around 3 to 5 percnt of the ingredients. But if its 1% or 100% it really doesnt do a whole lot anyway. And if nothing sticks to teflon how can it stick to anything....lol....think about it. Just try convincing a customer that insists on a "teflon sealant"...I doubt it will affect the sealant if its in there so if you want to use it go ahead, I just wouldnt pay extra for it.</HTML>
October 26, 2003 01:47PM
<HTML>As you know, TEFLON does not do anything to enhance the durability or shine of an automotive protection product.

It will make the product easier to work with, application and move around, but that is nothing.

Someone else made a statement as though TEFLON was not a polymer, but it is, for the record.

Also, not all TEFLON comes in little black seeds that have to be melted to adher to the inside of a pot or pan.

There is TEFLON used in the circuit board industry that is liquid. It is that TEFLON that is used in protection products in our industry.

I guess I am not to be trusted as we sell a TEFLON product. Why? Because some of our customers absolutely demand that they have a TEFLON product. They know it does nothing for shine or durability and I certainly tell them that when they buy it, but they say their customers want only a TEFLON enhanced product because they believe it superior, or that their competition has it and they must have it too to compete.

Hope that does not make our company and myself untrustworthy?

Regards
Bud A</HTML>

buda
October 26, 2003 03:17PM
<HTML>Bud,
It is when a company is dishonest about TEFLON that bothers me.

I see a LOT of advertising of teflon products worded to make the consumer believe it is something that will enhanse durability and shine..., it is not, as you stated.

If it is sold because someone "just wants it", that is one thing, but when the consumer is told it is better because it has teflon, that is another.</HTML>

October 26, 2003 04:47PM
<HTML>Again, in my opinion, you are correct.

What I suggest to detailers that when a company or salesman starts pontificating about the "space-age" polymer paint sealant with Teflon and making amazing claims about his product, it should be a "red-flag' to all that this is a scheme.

But I find that like consumers, some detailers seem to want to believe that there is that "wonder" product out there that will do marvelous things to the car. Something like finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And, to tell you the truth everytime I see a rainbow.....I wonder?????

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 26, 2003 05:52PM
<HTML>Bud,
I could not agree moresmiling smiley
I too am always "wondering" about the new stuff that comes out everyday..., until they start with the ridiculous claims..., then I close my wallet back, LOL!!

I "think" they would do better if they just said it was a "good" product, not better..., like YEARS of protection. I have cars under covers(top quality covers) and the car covers do not last as long as some say their "super sealants" will last!</HTML>

October 26, 2003 06:35PM
<HTML>sorry if i confused anybody about weather teflon was a polomer or not...its just easier to make the distinction about what is truely giving the protection. I use sealants with teflon quite frequently. In fact i have a couple sealants and yes wax's that i use depending on what my experience tells me will work best with the car and what the customer is looking for..

oh yea where can i get that "wonder product" your talking about....I want 2.....lol</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login