Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hard Plastic Bumpers

Posted by Jay M 
Hard Plastic Bumpers
February 27, 2002 01:48PM
Just purchased a 1996 Range Rover. It was clear after the first rain that the previous owner had preped the bumbers since after it rained they returned to thier faded, blotchy whitish and black form.

I have done some research, Here's what I have, I looking for additional opinions. These are hard plastic or vinyl bumbers.

Suggestion 1, Peach Auto Body

Bring the vehicle bumbers up to 2001 appearance by having the bumpers striped of all contaminants, primed with special bonding coat and color matched to vehicle with flex coat. Cost - 200 - 300. No clear coat suggested due to hardening. LR Color is Willow Green.

Suggestion 2, LR Owner

Use black boot polish with a blow dryer to "help heat the polish deep into vinyl" Buff Cost 5.00 I guess

What I have already tried:

Mothers Back to Black which lasts until it rains.

Any other suggestions or comments on previous ones.

Also, I have been told Baby Oil on inside vinyl, dash, etc is the way to go versus a silicone based product, ie: Mothers, SOAG, AA, etc. which acording to others eventually dries the vinyl out more so than nothing at all. Any comments here are welcome as well.
Re: Hard Plastic Bumpers
February 28, 2002 04:17AM
Jay,

As being in the automotive body & paint business. I only agree with stripping & repainting as the above manner. That is only my opion. That price is a deal as I would charge around $500.00 to $600.00 for the above procedure.

If you do not mind applying any protectant every week on the above items, you'll save some hard earned money. In the long run, you will also maintain your value of your rover if you do it the right way & have them refinished. Just a kind thought. Good Luck with your solution.
February 28, 2002 10:45AM
There is a product from Sonax called "PlasticRestorer" that I have found invaluable for keeping a neat finish on hard plastic. It comes in 2 shades of grey and a black.

It applies like those instant shoe polish products (Tube with a sponge applicator).

I have found that it survives 4-6 months over an Aussie summer being blasted on the front bumper by bugs and whatever on mostly highway driving.
February 28, 2002 12:11PM
I used a product called "forever black" recently on an old Volvo wagon. 1991, the molding and trim looked just as you described above. After three applications of this product the bumpers looked 100% better. This product has dye in it, so it actually penetrates the material and restores the color. It might be worth trying for 20 bucks before you spend more.....tm

March 06, 2002 01:40AM
Where can I purchase these products?

Thanks,

meo227
March 06, 2002 12:26PM
www.properautocare.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login