Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Removing Wax from Rubber Trim

Posted by Glenn Goodwin 
Removing Wax from Rubber Trim
May 02, 2005 09:52PM
<HTML>My family and I recently hand waxed a car and some of us were less careful than others in applying the paste wax. Some paste wax got on some rubber trim (door molding, bumpers, etc.) and has now turned white, which appears very unsightly against the the normal black color of the trim. Any ideas on how to remove the old wax from the trim? Thanks.

Glenn</HTML>
Re: Removing Wax from Rubber Trim
May 02, 2005 10:02PM
<HTML>Take the car to a professional detail shop and they can get this problem off your trim.

Where are you located, there might even be some detailers here on the forum that can help you.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Ketch has a nice product for this situation.</HTML>

May 02, 2005 10:30PM
<HTML>Located in Greenville, SC. I just noticed in another thread that this is meant to be a forum for professional detailers, which I am certainly not (in case it wasn't painfully obvious from my question), and that I should visit Autotopia.org. I apologize for any inconvenience. I just stumbled on this site and thought I would give it a go. Thanks anyway for any quick advice you might have.</HTML>
<HTML>No problem. Autopia.org is just fine.</HTML>

May 03, 2005 12:56AM
<HTML>First, how long ago did this happen, and second, is what kind of vehicle or brand, what year is this vehicle, can you describe the trim, is it "grained" or a "pebble" type finish?

What parts are damaged?

Mirrors, door handles, bumpers, what?

A quality, trained detailer does just as your doctor, accountant or lawyer, perhaps the Service Advisor at a dealership, questions must be asked in order to diagnois what may be the correct procedure or process to make it right for you.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 03, 2005 02:48PM
<HTML>Thanks for asking. The car is a 1987 Mercedes 560 SL. This happened about 4 months ago. The trim is rubber door moldings and rubber bumper parts; all smooth (except that age and the elements have made some of the bumper parts a bit porous).

Glenn</HTML>
May 03, 2005 02:55PM
<HTML>Dependant upon the type of solvent system that was in the wax, it may not come out.

Plus, since the vehicle is that old and the rubber parts are heavily oxidized, you probably won't be able to get the discoloring out.

Here is cheap way to find out, use plain old rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush, and a clean towel.

Soak the parts with the rubbing alcohol, keep it wet with the IPA (rubbing alcohol) and agitate with the brush, then wipe off.

Let is "dry" completely, then look at the part again.

If it doesn't come out, the parts will need to be "recoated" with a permanent coating product.

NOT a DRESSING, as that won't do anything other than create a short term "make-up" which will wash off in a short time.

The parts have been "oxidized" or "broke down" by UV's, and ozone.

Also, the use of "hydrocarbon solvent" dressings contribute to this condition as well.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 03, 2005 03:06PM
<HTML>After all the postings the simplest solution is to purchase a coating from SEM Products, available in most cities or go on line to www.semproducts.com and you will find a distributor or dealer.

They are the largest automotive coatings company in the USA and make products to refinish faded, oxidized and compound covered trim.

It will work perfectly and solve your problem.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
May 03, 2005 06:09PM
<HTML>Thanks so much guys. That's a great help.

Glenn</HTML>
May 03, 2005 06:33PM
<HTML>Glen,

There is another way to make them new and stay that way, without masking, spraying, etc.

It is the one that Hyundia, Mazda and Mitsubishi use.

www.autoint.com , it is the ETR-II kit.

Or, find a Trusted Professional Detailer in the Find a Detailer section that can do it for you, which is the best and less expensive for you.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login