Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old Tree Sap/Pitch Removal on Windshield/Glass

Posted by Tim M. 
<HTML>All of your tips on the similarly phrased topic below are a help, but I want to know if there are any particular differences in application to windshields/glass. Will those same cleaners/products be safe for glass use? Are there any different techniques, etc. that I should know about? The majority of this particular tree sap on the windshield/glass is a good few months old... I was in Europe, my car got parked underneath trees... All I've done so far is apply a standard tar and bug remover but it didn't do a whole lot. I will be selling this car shortly and gettng something else so I would rather it look a little better!

Thanks</HTML>
Re: Old Tree Sap/Pitch Removal on Windshield/Glass
October 27, 2003 02:22AM
<HTML>Should be easier to remove off the glass then the paint. If you're brave try a razor blade, but you can scratch the glass if not careful. I use razor blades all the time to remove temp tags.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 27, 2003 04:45AM
<HTML>If you're working on glass, you may want to try taking a rag or towel and pouring some lacquer on it and holding it over the sap. This should soften it up enough that you can take a plastic razor blade and get it off pretty easily. I use these plastic blades all the time. They may not always be as good as a regular blade, but they don't scratch.

And yes, I've used regular razor blades like Brian, too. They work great!!! Just be careful if you're working on a windshield. You don't want to put a scratch across the driver's field of vision. This could cause a blinding reflection of light causing the driver to lose control of the car and have a serious accident. If they can trace it back to you, you'd better call your insurance carrier and file the claim because they'll be coming after you!!!</HTML>
October 27, 2003 10:19AM
<HTML>Try turpentine or you can take a non abrasive polish and some "000" steel wool. Pour the polish on the steel wool and lightly rub in circles over the affected area and let haze and wipe off. This works for water spots and should work for tree sap too.

BUDA</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Thanks for the tips you guys, will do.

Be blessed</HTML>
<HTML>TO REMOVE TREE SAP ALL YOU NEED IS GREEN RUBBING ALCOHOL THATS IT FORGET ALL THAT OTHER STUFF WASH AREA FIRST ALWAYS GOOD LUCK</HTML>
October 28, 2003 01:07AM
<HTML>Delon:

Glass cleaner and a razor blade is the most practical solution.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

<HTML>If you want to srcatch your window up use a razor blade</HTML>
October 29, 2003 04:37AM
<HTML>Used correctly you won't scratch a window. I've done this procedure at the dealers and on my own for year and never scratched once window or winshield yet.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login